Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Zurich 2014

Options
  • 05-05-2014 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭

I'm doing this in July and am hoping people have some advice regarding accommodation and transfers etc. Is it necessary to go with Nirvana or is Zurich ok to get around with my bike (coming on flight with me)

Training is going good, but getting very time consuming at this point and only getting worse each week!

Any other boardsie doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm doing this in July and am hoping people have some advice regarding accommodation and transfers etc. Is it necessary to go with Nirvana or is Zurich ok to get around with my bike (coming on flight with me)

Training is going good, but getting very time consuming at this point and only getting worse each week!

Any other boardsie doing it?

The race is wrapped around the city centre, so not necessary to go with Nirvana ( I did, and they were great, BTW).

Either way, Zurich is expensive and you would want to get booking soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm going, flying out of dublin on the friday morning with swissair, picked a cheap hotel by the airport as its an early flight back on the monday and I'd have to be renting a car either way.

I'm pretty nervous, its my first Half ironman and a baby has made hitting all my training sessions difficult in the extreme. Still, I'm going to give it a go and will be happy just to finish.

EDIT: Im actually doing the one in Rapperswil Jona on 1st june, so not the same event.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Doing this aswell stone deaf but was unable to get the Friday off work so heading over with AL on Saturday morning. Will you sign me in for the race briefing on Friday afternoon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I ended up booking with Air B & B as the hotels close by were mad money. I'm paying €250 for 3 nights for 2 people in an apprtment 10 minutes walk from the start!
    Cant stop reading and watching videos to try to help me get around!

Best of luck to all participating this weekend - immortality beckons. Hopefully I'll catch ye for a (extortionately priced) pint of the black stuff somewhere in town afterwards.

• Advertisement

Did this on Sunday. Pretty perfect conditions. Cloudy with very little wind. Forecast was for 23/24 but don't think it even hit that thankfully. My first one so nothing to compare it to but as an event I couldn't fault it. Some horrible long drags on the bike but the run was faintly flat. Delighted with my 11:26 time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Did this on Sunday. Pretty perfect conditions. Cloudy with very little wind. Forecast was for 23/24 but don't think it even hit that thankfully. My first one so nothing to compare it to but as an event I couldn't fault it. Some horrible long drags on the bike but the run was faintly flat. Delighted with my 11:26 time.

well done with that, great effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

jeez 11.26 , well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well done!

Spot on with the drags....you are so focused on the big 2 climbs, that the drags go unnoticed....until you hit them. If that one is still there along the rail tracks - that was the real Heartbreak Hill for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Izoard wrote: »
    Well done!

Spot on with the drags....you are so focused on the big 2 climbs, that the drags go unnoticed....until you hit them. If that one is still there along the rail tracks - that was the real Heartbreak Hill for me...

I had a stinker of a swim. Missed the start of the first wave and then got goggles snapped off right at the start of the swim. Did the whole swim without them. Was surprisingly difficult, especially at the back straight where it got really choppy. Finished in 11:56:xx which I'll take! The body gave up in the run, hip flexors ceased, knee gave me probs and I had annoying cuts on both Achilles that kept rubbing! Sure if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

Really enjoyed the bike though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Well done!

I had a stinker of a swim. Missed the start of the first wave and then got goggles snapped off right at the start of the swim. Did the whole swim without them. Was surprisingly difficult, especially at the back straight where it got really choppy. Finished in 11:56:xx which I'll take! The body gave up in the run, hip flexors ceased, knee gave me probs and I had annoying cuts on both Achilles that kept rubbing! Sure if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

Really enjoyed the bike though!

Fair play guys amazing times. My goggles snapped aswell altercor about 40% of the way through. Still got it done in 1.21. Thank god the swim was in a lake as if that was the sea it would have been curtains (for me anyway) as the salt would have killed me. First 125km of the bike went great then some mechanical issues had me out of action for an hour. All in all came in just shy of 14h so happy out with that.

Well done!

That's the one! I hated that train track section the first time I went up it and I was dreading the second time! The rest were easier but the train track section just went on and on.

Advertisement