Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fence for a windy site

• 05-05-2014 10:01am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to fence off part of my garden to make a secure back area for the dog.

The site itself is very open and therefore windy.

I'm wondering whether putting a solid fence would be a good idea or if I would be better with a picket style fence to allow the wind to blow through?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm looking to fence off part of my garden to make a secure back area for the dog.

The site itself is very open and therefore windy.

I'm wondering whether putting a solid fence would be a good idea or if I would be better with a picket style fence to allow the wind to blow through?

Picket Vs solid wont make a lot of difference. What would make a difference is planting some shrubs on the windward side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

angeldaisy wrote: »

A solid fence would be more likely to be blown over/down and cause turbulence problems on the leeward side. The wind would filter thru' a non-solid fence, whether picket, overlap slat, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hit and miss fence is what you need, where the slats alternate between sides. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

it all depends on the materials used to make it.
    a good solid timber fence will withstand a hell of a lot of wind,ever see the ones on the motorways??
    3/4"-1"x 4-5"x6-16ft boards and 4"x4"x8ft posts spaced every 6ft should do the job
    go to a indpendant saw mill and get treated timber it will be half the price of a diy store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get quality fence panels from. I'm in limerick but distance no problem.

There seems to be a lot of expensive crap quality fence panels out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I wouldn't recommend timber but if it's what you want, the best quality can be found at large agri-stores or builder providers. Going to Woodies or BQ is more expensive and lesser quality, in my experience.

I wouldn't recommend timber but if it's what you want, the best quality can be found at large agri-stores or builder providers. Going to Woodies or BQ is more expensive and lesser quality, in my experience.

What would you recommend so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Concrete. You say it's a portion of your garden for the dog, so concrete fencing will be more durable and require no maintenance long beyond your dog's life. It is not too expensive but shop around. Guys who run a concrete-shed from home can sometimes come in a lot cheaper than buying from franchise shops.
    The vertical posts ¦¦ allow the horizontal slats to slide up and down, so you effectively could remove or re-site the fence, should you choose.

I get you now, thing is we're in a rural setting so concrete would look totally out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

I am doing a similar project just now, depends on the dogs determination, mine are small and do not like crawling under things so have decided on garden mesh to let the wind through, wooden posts from a timber yard as suggested and a griselinia hedge on the windward side. I read that feeding the hedge for first few years encourages growth and when its the desired height, stop feeding it and the growth slows hence reducing need for frequent trimming. One disadvantage of griselinia is it ends up with a space between lower end and ground bu will in time pue a smaller hedge beside it to keep fence more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hit and miss fence is what you need, where the slats alternate between sides. Simples.

I'm with monkeynuz on this - my fencing stayed up in the storms this winter, whereas several of the neighbours (who didn't have hit & miss) lost theirs ;)

Advertisement