Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruction manual?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I know "babies don't come with instructions" is one of the oldest cliches going, but... My husband and I are expecting our first and I was wondering if a list of development markers exists? I'm thinking of things like approx ages for sitting up/crawling/walking, solids, toilet training, rough number of words to be expected at various ages and probably lots of other development markers I'm not even aware exist! I'm not talking about parenting styles, which I appreciate are a matter of personal choice, and I realise that children develop at different rates, but there must be some broad guide, right? I'm a bit short of friends/family to ask as none of my friends have kids and ours will be a first grandchild on one side.

Suggestions gratefully received!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi, your PHN will give you a list of developmental guidelines which correspond to specific ages on his/her first visit to you after you give birth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

There is a guide and while some kids adhere nicely to it. Others are completely different. We were discussing this in a baby shower in work and one of the guys said he gave his mother great consternation as he was walking after 7 months (v. Early) but didn't talk until he was 3 (v. Late ).

Just so if you get the guide and he/she hasn't had her first tooth bang on week 18 etc, don't get too panicky :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I know "babies don't come with instructions" is one of the oldest cliches going, but... My husband and I are expecting our first and I was wondering if a list of development markers exists? I'm thinking of things like approx ages for sitting up/crawling/walking, solids, toilet training, rough number of words to be expected at various ages and probably lots of other development markers I'm not even aware exist! I'm not talking about parenting styles, which I appreciate are a matter of personal choice, and I realise that children develop at different rates, but there must be some broad guide, right? I'm a bit short of friends/family to ask as none of my friends have kids and ours will be a first grandchild on one side.

Suggestions gratefully received!

They should come with instruction manuals :):)
    Your public health nurse will be able to guide you on all of this. Your baby will get quite a few check ups/developmental in their first year and your nurse should be able to inform you what stage your baby should be at,roughly. Also, on the likes of eumom website you can register your child's birth date and they send emails every few weeks/month giving you information about what stage they are coming into.
    But No matter what guidelines you are given, your baby will do everything in their own time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Thank you all so much for the speedy replies! I think my level of clueless-ness is evident from the fact that it didn't even occur to me that the nurse would give me that kind of info. Feeling nice and calm now (wonder how long that will last!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thank you all so much for the speedy replies! I think my level of clueless-ness is evident from the fact that it didn't even occur to me that the nurse would give me that kind of info. Feeling nice and calm now (wonder how long that will last!!)

Rest assured that you are no more clueless than any other first time mother :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Gee_G wrote: »
    Rest assured that you are no more clueless than any other first time mother :)

On child number 3 and I still get confused by them at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have 4 and 1 cooking... i'm still clueless!! take it as it comes because i can guarantee you that at the 2 year check with the phn, they will have 3 words when they should have 20-30, a tut tut from the phn and a week later your little one will be having a full blown conversation with you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

if you google ' baby developmental milestones' you should be able to find a list of general milestones - but as others have said, this can differ from baby to baby.

Advertisement