Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the obsession with squats and deadlifts?

• 05-05-2014 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Most people you see doing them looking like crap. You see so much people doing squats these days because of the whole non lifters seeing some ripped brah in shorts where you can only see his ankles and coming out with the 'do u even squat, bro?':rolleyes:
    However its the biggest broscience going that doing squats will lead to growth all over. They are a good exercise but no more important than any other srs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm assuming because they're down in weight-lifting folklore as "whole body workouts", some people think that only doing squats will work out their entire body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most people you see doing them looking like crap.

Are you serious? Anyone serious about bodybuilding or building a well balanced muscular body does heavy squats and deads.

And to answer your question theiy're a compound movement that requires the use of a large amount of muscles. More muscle used>greater growth potential. It also helps that you can push big numbers and increase them in a fairly steady rate at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Of course squats and deadlifts are good, you're judging them by the people you see at the gym 'not looking good'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Most people you see doing them looking like crap.

Excuse you. I look GREEEAT :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why the obsession with how others look in the gym?

Squats and Dealifts are both great exercises for many reasons. So I'll ask you, why wouldn't you do them?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're just phoning in your trolling now, Eden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Excuse you. I look GREEEAT :D:D

inr2QdwduXuCH.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The only people worse than the "you gotta squat bro" brigade are the "don't squat cos everyone says you have to bro" team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Hanley wrote: »
    The only people worse than the "you gotta squat bro" brigade are the "don't squat cos everyone says you have to bro" team.

Bro, do you even lift?
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting .......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting .......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

What's it to you if I squat or deadlift :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Maybe the people you see are new to lifting, there are lots of squats and deadlifts in starting strength for example, which is a program that a lot of people do starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Power fcuking too them!

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting better than me......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bleedin' women, coming to our gyms, using our squat racks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The OP's question seems to be why is there so much more focus on squats and deadlifts than on the plenty of other equally as effective similar exercises.

If that's the question, I guess it's because they are very simple movements (relatively) and use a lot of muscle in one go. Maybe other movements don't, as much.

whirlpool wrote: »
    The OP's question seems to be why is there so much more focus on squats and deadlifts than on the plenty of other equally as effective similar exercises.

If that's the question, I guess it's because they are very simple movements (relatively) and use a lot of muscle in one go. Maybe other movements don't, as much.

The OP just likes trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I cannot Squat or Deadlift now due to a slipped disc and i must admit i do miss them

bluewolf wrote: »
    What's it to you if I squat or deadlift :confused:

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Wow, it's amazing what steroids can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I'm happy there are people like Hanley who teach women how to squat and deadlift!!!
    Nothing as empowering as lifting truly heavy stuff =)
    BTW deadlifts are my favourite

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dtp1979 wrote: »

While there is no doubt that Mr Olympias are steroid enhanced.. How long before you could deadlift 800lb with the help of steroids?

conzy wrote: »
    While there is no doubt that Mr Olympias are steroid enhanced.. How long before you could deadlift 800lb with the help of steroids?

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Brian? wrote: »
    Why the obsession with how others look in the gym?

Squats and Dealifts are both great exercises for many reasons. So I'll ask you, why wouldn't you do them?

Is it because they're ... hard....?

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

"Is this a 'roid rage I see before me?"

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

Hey look if men didn't like it Sir Mix A Lot wouldn't have made a song about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You can have all the chicken butts you want , no-one is stopping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

How long does it take you guys to recover after doing squats? I can barely walk for 2-3 days afterwards. Recovery seems to be so slow compared to other body parts.

• Advertisement

I'd be a little stiff the next day but the DOMS would be very light... Any variation in foot position can change that, though. It probably depends on how often you squat. More frequently = less DOMS.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How long does it take you guys to recover after doing squats? I can barely walk for 2-3 days afterwards. Recovery seems to be so slow compared to other body parts.

How often do you squat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm pretty sure nobody denies it. And everybody knows it.

The fact remains that even with a truck load of hormoneboosteroids the vast majority of dudes are never going to get that strong.

How often do you squat?

Not that often really, maybe once a fortnight, sometimes once a week.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Not that often really, maybe once a fortnight, sometimes once a week.

That why's you're getting DOMS so.

conzy wrote: »

Dunno, wouldn't put that sh1t in my body

• Advertisement

That why's you're getting DOMS so.

Yeah I thought that might be the reason alright. I've been focusing more on cardio lately using the exercise bike, so I haven't been doing the squats as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

It's great to see more women moving away from doing hours of cardio and moving over to the barbel section. And they are usually a much better laugh than some of the male tools who go around checking out there biceps in mirrors for half their session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Given your username, the above is quite ironic.

I expected you'd be more than this creep guy
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90245674&postcount=2432
    Dunno, wouldn't put that sh1t in my body

It's already in your body. In your balls :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Most people you see doing them looking like crap. You see so much people doing squats these days because of the whole non lifters seeing some ripped brah in shorts where you can only see his ankles and coming out with the 'do u even squat, bro?':rolleyes:
    However its the biggest broscience going that doing squats will lead to growth all over. They are a good exercise but no more important than any other srs.
    tumblr_m8gdfu7hVM1qzzx9e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

clueless post.
    do some Leg Press & Leg Extension if u want to mess up your joints.
    Squats & Deadlifts are by far the best compound exercises as they work every muscle & are very good for your joints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Hang on ill stick a bit of test in me, 800lb deadlift here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Not just bodybuilding, ever single physical sport that gives you the opportunity to earn money from being the best you can be sure steroids are involved. Hate this rubbish oh only big lads are on are it

chriity139 wrote: »
    Hang on ill stick a bit of test in me, 800lb deadlift here I come :D

Best of luck. Keep training hard and inject as much as you possibly can and you'll reach your goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that women should stick to light dumbell work and cardio for 'toning'? Please enlighten us on your strength training tips for girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that women should stick to light dumbell work and cardio for 'toning'? Please enlighten us on your strength training tips for girls.

Ah would you give him a break. I've no problem with women in the weights section but you can quickly tell the difference between those that mean business and the ones who are there because squatting and deadlifting are 'in' and wouldn't mind a load of fellas getting a good look at their arse in the process. The same women have done no research on the topic and can be seen squatting 20kg for weeks on end. I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

Ah would you give him a break. I've no problem with women in the weights section but you can quickly tell the difference between those that mean business and the ones who are there because squatting and deadlifting are 'in' and wouldn't mind a load of fellas getting a good look at their arse in the process. The same women have done no research on the topic and can be seen squatting 20kg for weeks on end. I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

The difference is that he does have a problem with women squatting and deadlifting.

There was no mention of it being the equivalent of curling in the squat rack. Just that women who don't have an ass that he likes the shape of should be squatting.

I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

Curls can be done anywhere. By doing them in the squat rack you're interfering with other people who wants to use it unnecessarily. It's a dick move for no real reason.

And you say a woman is wasting peoples time by using the correct piece of equipment? Just because she's not pushing a weight you deem acceptable? Get off your high horse there mate. Just because someone is trying something new and doesn't have your (apparently) very strong squatting ability doesn't mean they have any less of a right to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Curls can be done anywhere. By doing them in the squat rack you're interfering with other people who wants to use it unnecessarily. It's a dick move for no real reason.

And you say a woman is wasting peoples time by using the correct piece of equipment? Just because she's not pushing a weight you deem acceptable? Get off your high horse there mate. Just because someone is trying something new and doesn't have your (apparently) very strong squatting ability doesn't mean they have any less of a right to be there.

It means that she hasn't done any research. If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say if I'm honest. I like the fact that you attacked me as a person as well, it makes for a really classy post.

It means that she hasn't done any research. If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say if I'm honest. I like the fact that you attacked me as a person as well, it makes for a really classy post.

Why are you stalking the girl? Can you not just go to the gym and do your own thing instead of criticizing someone else's routine?

The same people are in the gym with me every morning. Do I know what weights they are squatting? Hell no! Why? CAUSE I DO MY OWN THING AND DON'T LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE!

If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say

Good stuff

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement