Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Car Insurance Companies

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Should i report itsforwomen.ie for cancelling my car policy without notification.leaving me wide open to being stopped and charged for driving without insurance,or worse crashing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

suzzih7797 wrote: »
    Should i report itsforwomen.ie for cancelling my car policy without notification.leaving me wide open to being stopped and charged for driving without insurance,or worse crashing.

What was the reason for cancellation?

Have you spoken to them and if so, how did they say they tried to advise the cancellation to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm sure they have to give notice of cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 suzzih7797

They said they sent a letter and an email and a phone call (which i could not take at the time) so i did NOT get any hard or soft copy notification of cancellation.
    I did not get the DD mandate letter to fill in and return in the allocated time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

They said they sent a letter and an email and a phone call (which i could not take at the time) so i did NOT get any hard or soft copy notification of cancellation.

The letter should have been sent by registered post - ask for a tracking number

Ask for the email address it was sent to, along with the time and date. Check your junk folder

The DD Mandate was late being sent to you? By how long? Usually it would be sent with the starting documentation. I.e. the proposal form.

Did you call them back? Did they call you back?

Did you chase them for the mandate and advise that you were worried that payments had not begun? You too have a responsibility

done all that..nothing could be done other than starting a new policy which i had to pay for in full and tracking cant be done till after the bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That sounds like you never paid them a penny so you really haven't a leg to stand on.

Did you get a cert or disc? If not then there was never a policy in force and no contract to break so they were well within their rights to terminate the offer when they didn't get the signed mandate, regardless of who was to blame for the delay.

they were paid and they said there was a disc sent out which i never recieved.there was a contract which they admit and i had a policy and policy number,when a policy gets cancelled for any reason they request the balance in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

they were paid and they said there was a disc sent out which i never recieved.there was a contract which they admit and i had a policy and policy number,when a policy gets cancelled for any reason they request the balance in full.

This doesn't add up.

They sent a disc, you never received it and although they cancelled the policy, they demanded payment in full - payment for what?

i need my car insured so they said the only way is to start a new policy because the old one was cancelled,they said the sent a cancellation letter and email,again both of which i never received to say they are stopping the policy.so in order to start a new policy with the same company they must have payment in full for the years insurance.so i never got the first letter and disc,nor an email or letter to state there was an issue with the policy that if i didnt fix they were going to cancel on me.,this is my argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Did you pay them a deposit initially for the first month?

• Advertisement

yes.

Once money has crossed hands there is a contract there however I think that they can cancel after the month if they have no word back from you or payment. I worked in an insurance company about ten years ago and they were very quick to cancel policies if no payment was made. It's strange that none of the paperwork got to you though. Wonder did they have the correct address/spelling. Did you ring them back after you missed their call or did they cancel it before you got back to them?

i was away and they cancelled before i got back to them..they said they have my details correct but they pay other bodies to send their post and it could be wrong from there but i dont know how the can get away with cancelling a policy without at least trying to make sure they contacted the policy holder...i was going about my daily business thinking the disc was just late in the post.

Where I used to work they had it in the terms and conditions that they could cancel after a set period of not hearing back from the policy holder and no payment. It might be worth trying to get a copy of their t&c's to see is there anything similar.

as far as im concerned...they did not hold their end of the terms..they did not send out a disc not a cancellation letter and they did not contact the policy holder in relation to cancellation...how do i know they just didnt take my money and pretend to send out a disc,now ive probably just paid them more money to do the same..and how many people did they do this to just to get payment in full??? sounds to me like its just a way to get money into them.

I suppose it will be difficult to prove that they didn't send the disc or cancellation letter. And they did try and contact you by phonecall, you weren't able to answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if i pay for insurance online I chase the company till I get my paperwork which normally takes a couple of days. If you never contacted them and failed to respond to their contact attempts, what else can they do but cancel? How come you didnt chase them for your paperwork? They didnt get paid it sounds like. But how long was it between you "ordered" the policy and it was cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This just doesn't add up.

When did you make the ins. proposal? Having paid the 1st month why weren't you looking for cert/disc after a few days? How long did you drive without cert/disc?

If they sent reg'd letter they'd have a signature for it's delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry OP, but your story takes a twist with every post you make, so its hard to unravel the sequence of events.

Anyway, regardless of proposal forms, discs, payment, mandates etc, an insurer has to cancel a policy by SENDING registered notification to the last known address. They do not need to prove it was ever RECEIVED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

they must have the wrong address, the registered letter will be only way to know.

Advertisement