Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - power button replacement

• 05-05-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

So hope this is the right section, if not I do apologies!

So I have the iPhone 5, and noticed my power button not working. It turns out Apple also recognises this and is doing a replacement programme for all effected devices.

Now they have offered to replace the button, however, there is a chance that the phone would be a refurb phone, IE not new.

Am I right in thinking, in line with consumer law, as the phone is under two years, that I can request a refund, or a new iPhone 5?

The law isn't clear to me!

Any advice would be great on this!

Phone was bought through Network 3.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

flexcon wrote: »
    So hope this is the right section, if not I do apologies!

So I have the iPhone 5, and noticed my power button not working. It turns out Apple also recognises this and is doing a replacement programme for all effected devices.

Now they have offered to replace the button, however, there is a chance that the phone would be a refurb phone, IE not new.

Am I right in thinking, in line with consumer law, as the phone is under two years, that I can request a refund, or a new iPhone 5?

Any advice would be great on this!

Phone was bought through Network 3.

If you're getting a replacement phone it will be the same standard, if not better (having gone through more rigorous testing) as a new phone whether it's "new" or "refurbished". I received a replacement 5s a few weeks ago and it was perfect.

I don't know what more you want Apple to do for you, their replacement programme is excellent as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Aodhagan wrote: »
    If you're getting a replacement phone it will be the same standard, if not better (having gone through more rigorous testing) as a new phone whether it's "new" or "refurbished". I received a replacement 5s a few weeks ago and it was perfect.

I don't know what more you want Apple to do for you, their replacement programme is excellent as it is.

Oh don't get me wrong, Im only checking on this as I have been told this and that by other people and I think on here peoples opinion is more direct at times!

My other friend had an issue where it was returned 3 times, 3 different phones and eventually got a new one, hence the concern on my face. Having dealt with Samsung before and fonemendors, the thought will give me nightmares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

flexcon wrote: »

AFAIK they are obliged to provide a two year warranty which involves repair or replace the device.

The refurbed phones are usually ones which have had cosmetics replaced which were scratched in production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

neilmulvey wrote: »
    AFAIK they are obliged to provide a two year warranty which involves repair or replace the device.

The refurbed phones are usually ones which have had cosmetics replaced which were scratched in production.

Wrong! They (Apple) do not provide a two year warranty. It's a one year warranty. Consumer law if anyone decides to go that route is with whoever the phone is bought from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

kensutz wrote: »
    Wrong! They (Apple) do not provide a two year warranty. It's a one year warranty. Consumer law if anyone decides to go that route is with whoever the phone is bought from.

AFAIK the consumer law for electronic goods in the EU falls with the manufacturer and not the network provider [am open to correction on this]

In order to get the 2nd year warranty you have to complete a EU consumer law form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

AFAIK the consumer law for electronic goods in the EU falls with the manufacturer and not the network provider [am open to correction on this]

In order to get the 2nd year warranty you have to complete a EU consumer law form

Completely wrong, it's the point of purchase that is responsible for engaging a consumer law claim. Nothing to do with the manufacturer unless you bought it directly from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone got their button replaced?
    will Apple replace the phone or just the button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Got one replaced on my old 5. Got a brand new (refrub) phone within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Have sent it back to apple but still waiting on return.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Incorrect.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Got one replaced on my old 5. Got a brand new (refrub) phone within a week.

Was that under this specific repair programme or was it under your original 12 month warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/
    How to make a claim: Call or visit your seller
    Some EU member states, including Finland, Ireland, UK, Netherlands and Sweden, have a claim period that is longer than 2 years from date of delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Was that under this specific repair programme or was it under your original 12 month warranty?

Sorry, it was under the original warranty, but I'd imagine they're both the same.

Phone has arrived back. Same phone repaired although they have also replaced the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Phone has arrived back. Same phone repaired although they have also replaced the battery.

Mine has arrived home in Dublin this morning but I'm in Athlone until the weekend, how will I find out if they replaced the battery?

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Mine has arrived home in Dublin this morning but I'm in Athlone until the weekend, how will I find out if they replaced the battery?

They include a document stating what parts were replaced. Three parts were replaced in mine, including the camera. I'm guessing the camera and sleep button share components.

They include a document stating what parts were replaced. Three parts were replaced in mine, including the camera. I'm guessing the camera and sleep button share components.

Great, trying to get through to someone at home who will check for me. I'll post back when I find out what was replaced

Camera and battery were also replaced on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

The button has gone on my iphone 5 also. How do I go about claiming the free fix, thought this only applied to USA and Canada.

MorganIRL wrote: »
    The button has gone on my iphone 5 also. How do I go about claiming the free fix, thought this only applied to USA and Canada.

It's global. Call apple support, number on website, and they'll send out a box for you to return phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've just done this. Ring 'em up (because the website facility is broken for out-of-warranty phones), and they'll post out a returns box with a pre-addressed UPS package. Backup phone, remove SIM, and reset (settings & content), pop in provided box without cable/accessories. Use UPS' website to arrange a collection, and wait patiently.

4 things to note:
    1) UPS were ringing my door 12 minutes after I submitted the collection request on their site!
    2) My phone is a few months out of warranty
    3) The website link for this replacement program mentions the ability to arrange a return online, but as of right now that's not possible for phones outside the Apple 1 Year warranty, so you'll have to ring them in that case.
    4) There was no charge for this, and no CC required for any deposit. However, it does mean you're without a phone for 5-8 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deeobrien

For those who already sent their iPhone 5 back (post warranty for the sleep button replacement) - how long did it take from when you sent it with UPS to getting it back?

They said I could have a loaner phone if I was close to Belfast. I'm based in Limerick so its not worth driving to Belfast.

I've discovered that by always pressing the sleep button on the left of the button it seems to work - pressing on the right of the button doesn't work. At least it gives me a workaround for now.

it was 10 days

I sent it on a Monday and had it back the following Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

deeobrien wrote: »
    For those who already sent their iPhone 5 back (post warranty for the sleep button replacement) - how long did it take from when you sent it with UPS to getting it back?

Set up return on a Thurs, had UPS box in Monday's post, collected by UPS Mon lunchtime, delivered to Netherlands Tues morning (Apple repair status site only updated on Wed morning), and had it back Tues morning (allowing for a bank holiday).

Advertisement