Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying sterling

Options
  • 05-05-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all. I am planning on taking a trip to the UK next weekend and am wondering where would be the best place to buy sterling. I will need around £13k. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm

Setting aside why you need to bring £13K into the UK there is a limit of £10K and you need to declare it to customs and excise else risk having the money seized and not returned. Currency volume at this rate often indicates something dodgy I.e drugs.

I got stopped at Holyhead and they told me there I had to declare anything over 3K! I told them chance would be a fine thing to have that much money. I have not found anything regarding 3K but the link above explains about the 10K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP your best bet is college green if you need it asap. They can get money from the vault if you need an unusual or large amount of a currency. As long as you have the purchase slip for the currency I can't see you having any issues with customs. £13k is a large sum of money but it can easily be for a car or a shopping trip(13k will be spent fairly quickly in Harrods or channel). Customs won't take money if you can show the reason for having it. Eg buying a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Thanks for the info.

It will be for buying a car.

Where would I be able to get the best rate?

An Post are pretty good I think but i would only be able to change up to €6,000 at a time.

I could do an on-line payment but not sure if the rate would be competative.

I've also heard thsat the rate you would get through using the credit card would be quite good but unfortunately my limit wouldn't be that high.

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement