Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final year on-campus accommodation

Options
  • 05-05-2014 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering about the situation regarding on-campus accommodation for final year students.

I'll be in 4th year in September and the prospect of finding somewhere reasonable off-campus is essentially non-existent, although I will keep looking. I think my best option will be campus, just need to know a few things first!

Firstly, will I be able to choose from all of the different areas of accommodation, provided there's room? I can only really look at Merville or Belgrove as my budget is a bit limited.

Secondly, will I most likely be living with final years or could I end up in an apartment full of first years?

Also is there still a good chance I'll actually get a room, or do first years get priority?

Hopefully someone can help me out; I don't know anyone who's lived in campus after 2nd year but it'd be great to know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

I stayed on campus in first year, in Belgrove at the time. Which as you may or may not know is being renovated at the moment. So my advise is that yes Belgrove and Merville has a lot of younger students but depending on who you get landed with it may not be too bad. Its a roll of the dice really. The great thing is you can always do studying in the libraries or wherever depending on your discipline.

You can choose as long as you're on the waiting list, in a high enough position.

First Years do get priority but only a limited number, like 2000 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Thanks so much!

Yeah I was in Belgrove myself in first year, it was grand but I was hoping to avoid to avoid the 4 bed apartments if possible!

Hopefully I get a decent enough spot on the wait list :)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

You can see who you are going to be living with if an apartment is nearly full. I'd choose one with at least one other final year or post-grad. Hopefully if you end up with first years you can tell them to shut up together! I didn't want to live with a post-grad for that reason in first year! Shouldn't be too much hassle getting a place if you get on the waiting list and get up really early on registration day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

You can see who you are going to be living with if an apartment is nearly full. I'd choose one with at least one other final year or post-grad. Hopefully if you end up with first years you can tell them to shut up together! I didn't want to live with a post-grad for that reason in first year! Shouldn't be too much hassle getting a place if you get on the waiting list and get up really early on registration day!

That's what I'm hoping, so that at least two of us will be in the same boat :)

I think I'll be setting a 6am alarm that day just to be certain :)

Advertisement