Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very tricky situation with co worker

Options
  • 05-05-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have been having an issue at work the last year and although I really should just say it to the person involved, I need a second opinion.

One of my main duties in the office is to file away old reports in boxes and sort out the boxes in a room at the end of the building. We usually just throw a few boxes (its never more than 8) on a trolley, wheel them down and off we go. I share this duty with my workmate, However, in the past year, he has gained quite a lot of weight (id say over 2 stone) and its become quite noticeable in his movements, speed, clothes etc, and he started off saying "Oh my back isnt the best today can you sort the filing" and I did it at first because I felt a bit sorry for him but now its going on so long that its practically all my duty. He plays the card "Oh id love to help but Im in a lot of pain", and I feel taken advantage of. I suspect his weight is from personal issues hes having at home but that not really my business.

Thing is, at this stage, he probably would struggle to do this task given his health but i dont feel i should be doing 100% of the task since its supposed to be shared. However, I cant very well just say "You are too heavy and need to lose weight then you may be able to do the task", i could get fired plus its not my place, and my manager seems to like him so i dont want to seem like a d!ck. Hes a nice enough guy (we arent mates but I work well with him) but i dont know how to get around this, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

At your next review, explain to your boss that you're the one doing 100% of the filing. Ask your boss if your co-worker can take some of your other workload to compensate.

How much time p.w. does it take?

What happens when you're not there, on hols etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

His weight gain might be because of his back problems not the cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

cursai wrote: »
    His weight gain might be because of his back problems not the cause of it.

equally his back problems could be caused in part by his weight gain..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

NSAman wrote: »
    equally his back problems could be caused in part by his weight gain..;)

Thats why i highlighted 'might'. ;) x2

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you need to discuss this with your manager, don't wait for your review.

But you might have to resign youself to the fact that you'll be doing more of the filing from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

While you're off doing the filing on your own and I presume taking longer to do it, what's he doing? Have you handed over any of your other tasks to compensate?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Definitely don't make any personal remarks to him about his home life, body shape or anything else!

The issue is that he is not doing his share of a task.

I would suggest telling him in a friendly way that while you appreciate that colleagues help each other out now and again you don't have capacity to take on his share of the filing as it is impacting on your other work. If you don't reach agreement between yourselves (which would really mean him doing his fair share) then this is an issue I'd delegate upwards to the manager. Your colleague could approach the manager and explain that he can't do this task, or you could make the approach but be careful not to accept responsibility or suggest it's your problem, since it's not you that's not getting the work done - better to present it as you've been helping as far as possible with his problem but it has become unsustainable and is impacting your other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Thanks for the advice, I think this is how Ill go about it, far more diplomatic than trying to tell him his weight im impacting his share of our task. We dont really have any reviews at work so I couldnt wait for a chance to say it to my boss because the task is every 2 weeks so its taking me twice as long. I have been advised by a workmate to say to him his extra weight is impacting his job and if he wants to get healthy there is a lot of help out there. Now I honestly dont think she was being as a%%, just very misguided. because surely there is no way I could say that to anybody in the workplace!

I will approach the manager when this task comes around again next week because as it is now, im doing all the filing instead of half of it so something has to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Be unavailable to do the filing the next time round. Either take the day off or plan some other important activities that simply cannot be moved. Then make it his problem.

Advertisement