Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you do 'nappy free time'?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

HI all,

just wondering if we should be letting our 5 month old have some time out of his nappy each day - do any of you do this with your babies - just let their little bums be out in the air for a while? I kind of don't want to do it in case he pees all over the place, but if it's good for him then I will

--anyone got any input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I do it just before a bath say or if I'm changing her anyway. Particularly if she had a big nappy or if she seems to be enjoying it. Obviously at times when I don't mind her weeing a bit. I'll put her down on a towel or something that's going in the wash. I think it's nice for them but you have to be practical too. I wouldn't worry about scheduling it in or anything. Just go with the flow ... Literally ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Yeah, we do it at least once a day, the boy absolutely loves it. He has a great big kick and wriggle. I use to use those waterproof mats you can get for when your water breaks but now if I time it right he doesn't even pee during it. We have had a few accidents all right so will have to replace the big rug as some point but nothing carpet cleaner can't deal with for now. No idea if it's actually has any benefits but I know we've done it since he was about 5 weeks and he has a really strong and flexible body, already sitting up at 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

As soon as my boy's nappy is off, he clamps his legs together tightly and stretches them out - he's had a couple of Silence Of The Lambs moments where his bits have got tucked between his legs, very funny! He seems to love it; if he's getting ready for a bath I give him a few minutes of bare-bum time! Few accidents here too, most notably the time he peed all over me (and the only pair of jeans I had that fit me!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Yea we used to do it when she was a bit more stationary. We used to put her nappy changing mat and a couple of dirty towels down and lie her on them! She loved it! She's moving all over the place now so I wouldn't be comfortable with her being 'free' as she could pee anywhere haha! I try do it before bath time though!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, lie baby down on an old towel on top of the changing mat, if his bum was looking a bit tender or red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Definitely if he has a sore bum from teething etc. It's hard floors downstairs so if any accidents it's easy to clean up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've never really bothered with either of mine. They have never had a nappy rash or redness issue though. If they did, I'd be doing it for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We tried it a couple of times. There was a particular incident that left me covered that I would rather forget and the other times he seemed upset by the change in temperature. But we might try it again now as he is more relaxed at bath time and changing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

He's never had a sore bum yet so haven't bothered to. Probably would if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I do it every day, sometimes a few times, with my 7 month boy. I strip him completely down. It is the best crack ever, he goes ballistic with joy. I stopped worrying about pee a long time ago, I just put a big blanket on the floor, towel over and a few muslins. He hates wearing clothes, cries when I put back on his vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Decided this morning to let him wiggle free before his bath. Spread out a big towel, let him roll away, delira with himself. He did a little pee, I didn't mind that. I went to get his bits ready for the bath when I heard a yelp from my partner.

The little fecker did an enormous #2 while on his tummy, then rolled over onto his back and mashed it all over the place! Quite a morning! (At least he didn't do it in the bath I suppose!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

nikpmup wrote: »
    Decided this morning to let him wiggle free before his bath. Spread out a big towel, let him roll away, delira with himself. He did a little pee, I didn't mind that. I went to get his bits ready for the bath when I heard a yelp from my partner.

The little fecker did an enormous #2 while on his tummy, then rolled over onto his back and mashed it all over the place! Quite a morning! (At least he didn't do it in the bath I suppose!)

This reminds me of my lil guy who is 6 weeks old when he does his poo. Will be grunting and clenching fists then stops. We give him a few mins to be sure then go to change. The min u open the nappy and start to clean him up he realises oh wait i wasnt finished. Waited about 15 mins today and he still done it. But wising up to him now. I was well prepared and just gave him a lil wipe and the min he grunted i closed it again.

Advertisement