Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Debt

Options
  • 04-05-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Guys

I got a mobile phone off Vodafone maybe 2 years ago, I was happily paying them the agreed 75Euro a month for a package I got. I started then encountering difficulties with my online access so I couldn't print off my bills, I visited the local shop several times calling customer service and each time I was assured it would be fixed as soon as possible and I could then print off a bill so I could pay cash in the local post office!

Sure enough, this was never fixed, so eventually after several visits to the store and personal calls from home, I said, put my bills to post billing, send me a bill and ill pay!
    I was waiting for weeks upon weeks, then out of the blue they disconnected my phone, in turn costing me business at my job as I was self employed at the time and I lost 5 contracts with a lady for business.
    I rang Vodafone , they said a bill was on the way and they wouldn't reconnect my phone until I paid, the bill I got was over 1,000 Euro, for the months I owed them, breach of contract, and penalties.
    I argued the amount and situation and then for maybe two or three weeks I received huge itemised bills ranging from 700-1100Euro in totals. I thought , to hell with them, they costed me money ,so they can go to hell for their money!

On Friday, I got a letter from Hugh J Ward and Co Solictors demandin 704.80 Euro.

Can I ignore them? Call and say the person (me) doesn't live in this house anymore? (can they track and check this?) or call em and tell them go to hell, Ive no intention of paying! Will I be brought to court???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You had a 75 a month package. Did you at least pay 75 every month you had online difficulties?
    Was this a business account with Vodafone?

If you feel you are in the right then why not let it go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You had a 75 a month package. Did you at least pay 75 every month you had online difficulties?
    Was this a business account with Vodafone?

If you feel you are in the right then why not let it go to court.

For a bill like that , you mustn't have been paying for months. Maleah Colossal Runway is right, if you feel you have a legitimate reason for not paying the bill, then dispute it. But if you lose, you/your business has a judgement against it. I've read on other threads that it seems when bill goes near €1000, service providers are now going to court instead of just sending a few threatening letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out and moved to new thread.

Some questions - was the contract with Vodafone a business contract?

Also, why didn't you pay €75 every month at least while waiting for the issue to be sorted? Just because there was a billing issue didn't absolve you of the need to pay a bill. Ultimately, you cost yourself the lost earnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Palyo

Ok , maybe people aren't clear here!

I didn't have a debit card at the time, couldn't pay it over the phone! My bank account had enough direct debits so I was unwilling/couldn't go that route!

I needed to get a bill so I could scan the bar code to pay it, it wasn't a business phone, just a personal phone! I paid the first month while the difficulties were on cos I had an old bill which I discarded stupidly one day cleaning the car out! So it wasn't like I was hiding from them!

I couldn't use an account number or anything at the post office to pay it at all! Hence why I was ringing and ringing them in order for me to get a bill !

The amount I owe properly is about 150-200 euro (2 months billing - went over the package one month due to international callings), the remainder is their penalties and contract which I didn't break, I argued that this wasn't my fault, even when the Vodafone shop printed me a bill, the bar code page wasn't correct , the code wouldn't and couldn't be scanned, that was the issue I had, because I had printed from 3 different places and got the same results!

Because they costed me an important call for 5 work contracts from one lady I was so angry at this that I said, to hell with them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What about online banking? Or simply going into a bank branch with the sort code and account number for the Vodafone bank account and making a payment over the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Palyo wrote: »

My bank account had enough direct debits so I was unwilling/couldn't go that route!

Because they costed me an important call for 5 work contracts from one lady I was so angry at this that I said, to hell with them!

What difference does it make if it's on dd or payment by other method, the money still comes out if your account as per your agreed T&Cs.

Two wrongs don't make a right, you missed calls which cost you money, now you are going to ignore the debt which will cost you more money. As stated above, for that amount of money they are more likely to take you to court.

Advertisement