Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to darken paint?

• 05-05-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

HI everyone! I am in need of a small assistance here, I recently tried DIY paint jobs with flecktarn pattern and its going well from the looks of it, it only needs one last touch and that is to darken the paint or atleast make it look bland.. the picture below is my boxmag that I painted thanks in advance peeps!

DSC_5662.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

There is no real way of darkening the colours without either changing or messing up the paint job.If this is all u have done i'd start over.when buying paint bring a flektarn hat or that with u to match.If u are using model paints go darker than whats on the lid as the paint inside never matchs the lids.Been though it all myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Usually for a dark paint job, people put a black or similar dark colour on first and then paint over that. Like wise for light paint jobs they use white or beige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

As the guys above have said it is hard to do that , Before you try taking it off and restarting again...only if, try this.

Get a black spray can, matt preferably. spray from a distance like a metre away from it so and only for for a few seconds each side. It will put a black sandy look over it and might take away the brightness from it. Only a last try before you start again idea ,

Someone else might come up with a better idea .

Best of luck with it anyways

DP

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭gian

Thank you for the suggestions sirs, here is another idea would fading acrylic paint easy? Seems to be my only option if its possible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

gian wrote: »
    HI everyone! I am in need of a small assistance here, I recently tried DIY paint jobs with flecktarn pattern and its going well from the looks of it, it only needs one last touch and that is to darken the paint or atleast make it look bland.. the picture below is my boxmag that I painted thanks in advance peeps!

DSC_5662.JPG

Could also keep painting.. - if you carefully paint that white a really dark tan (darker than any of the colours you have already) it will tone down the whole thing - see below - I've just filled in your white bits a dark colour nothing else.

305857.JPG

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Could also keep painting.. - if you carefully paint that white a really dark tan (darker than any of the colours you have already) it will tone down the whole thing - see below - I've just filled in your white bits a dark colour nothing else.

305857.JPG

Good idea but you see the whole thing looks very bright in person, my only choice here is either repaint it or fade it.. Tomorrow i might try to glaze it with varnish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

gian wrote: »
    Good idea but you see the whole thing looks very bright in person, my only choice here is either repaint it or fade it.. Tomorrow i might try to glaze it with varnish..

A suitable clear matt varnish will tone it down a little, as I done the same to my now painted in Masada fire selector markers and the finish is low profile

So hopefully the result will be as you want it to be :)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions I have tried an experiment by mixing 80% water and 20% black acrylic paint.. Im waiting for it to settle and i will post the result..

an voila~! 2 pics one with the flash on and one without and i say im quite happy with the results..

DSC_5676.JPG
    DSC_5677.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

What you applied is called a wash in the modeling world (trains, planes etc). Usually it's brown paint that is used to simulate grime and weathering

• Advertisement

ShRT wrote: »
    What you applied is called a wash in the modeling world (trains, planes etc). Usually it's brown paint that is used to simulate grime and weathering

Thanks learned something new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Most model shops will sell you various laquers that can be used to darken a paint job, also handy is a Matt Laquer for the final coat.

Advertisement