Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will you be supporting in the World Cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

This has been done already, hasn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Netherlands always support them in the World Cup as they always seem to play a good style of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Gentlemen, I do believe a poll would be of benefit, anyone up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd usually support Germany, but it looks like there will be no HSV players in the squad (rightly so). I'll support Endo for Japan and Son Heung-Min for South Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

I always back Italy Im a fan of Italian soccer. I would also like the Asian teams and the USA to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Germany. So many players I love to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Portugal, they've been really unlucky against Spain the last 2 tournaments, can support a team with Ronaldo in it again.

Japan too for Shinji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No one really, though I would like to see the Sunderland players (Giaccherini and Altidore) do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone but England.
    I always like to see Mexico do well for some reason, and Ghana too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

love to see suarez and Uruguay win it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd like to see Messi own this World Cup. This one is going to go a long way towards defining his legacy either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

1. Argentina
    2. Spain
    3. Germany

Those are my 3, in order of preference, and the best footballing teams imo. I'd like to see England do well, only if they try and play decent football for once though. Which I don't think they will under Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I have a deep hatred for mug punters winning, so i'll be against Argentina and Belgium outright anyway.

Would like to see Portugal do it after being unlucky in Euro 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd kinda like to see Brazil win it on home soil, if not then then Spain. I'll shout for England in all their games but I don't expect to see them in the semi finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

EN-GER-LAND!!

Unfortunately, not sure they will get past the first round.

Head/wallet is saying Uruguay or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

F1ngers wrote: »
    England v France in the final would be nice.
    The Soccer forum would crash as soon as it kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd kinda like to see Brazil win it on home soil, if not then then Spain. I'll shout for England in all their games but I don't expect to see them in the semi finals.
    I'd be surprised if England got out of their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope Chile do well. I followed a fair bit of their matches after Tim Vickery kept raving about them a few years back and they are a joy to watch at times. I hope they deliver on the big stage but I can't see them going all the way.

I would be happy if Argentina did it for Messi's sake. Brazil winning it would be a good story too. I would be reasonably happy for Spain if they notched up another title. That's about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Italy as per usual.

But I hope England also come out of the group and do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭linvoysblues

England for me. Not many other countries whose style of football I enjoy watching (very similar to our own, only with a vastly bigger talent pool to choose from). They're honest footballers who love the game (a few individuals aside), none of this rolling around and time management nonsense that you get from all the South American countries, as well as most European nations nowadays.

I don't expect them to get out the group, but would love it if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ze Germenz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I don't follow international football and probably won't watch too many games, but I'd always keep an eye out for the England result first and foremost, mainly because that's the league I watch the most football from, regardless of how much I complain about how bad the standard is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'll be shouting for Australia but I don't expect much from them in the group of death.

I'd love Ronaldo to drag Portugal to win it outright, would really cement him as a Maradona level player. He worked harder than anyone to be as good as he is so I think he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Anyone from south america as they just play such pleasing football. Plus JAPAN. England also, not for winning though. I just want to see the youth getting a chance plus adam lallana because I can see his flair style of football really turning it on for England creatively. He is for me their secret weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

England.

Also like to see the Dutch do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Holland, obviously.

But i already have put money on them not to get past the first round.

Chile will have my sympathy when Holland go home. I like their style and recent friendlies have shown they can make every team's life pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Belgium of course :)

Once we're out though probably Italy or one of the South American countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'll be shouting for Australia but I don't expect much from them in the group of death.

I'd love Ronaldo to drag Portugal to win it outright, would really cement him as a Maradona level player. He worked harder than anyone to be as good as he is so I think he deserves it.

Seven pages in and this is the first mention of a bit of love for the Aussies! Will be shouting for them myself, doesn't seem to be much buildup here at all but probably understandable given they'll be pumped in their 3 group games. None of the Aussies are expecting much anyway.
    Reminds me of ourselves at Euro 2012 I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I'd love to see Spain make it four major competition wins in a row! I think this might be a tournament too far for them, though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Cake Man wrote: »
    Seven pages in and this is the first mention of a bit of love for the Aussies! Will be shouting for them myself, doesn't seem to be much buildup here at all but probably understandable given they'll be pumped in their 3 group games. None of the Aussies are expecting much anyway.
    Reminds me of ourselves at Euro 2012 I suppose!

Aussies might get something against Holland. 0-2-1 we are against Australia. Matches of course against a better Australia but we are also talking about a much, much better Dutch team in 2006, 2008 and 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Teams I'd like to see do well:

Ivory Coast
    France
    Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Being English the bigger question for me is who do I support in the second half of the tournament :)

In the spirit of so many of you backing England I'm going to say that assuming England don't win the thing, I'll be pulling for one of Germany or Argentina (but reserving the right to laugh when they get knocked out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

As long as England go out on penalties, I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Brazil, I've spent some time there, and it's where my wife is from.

England, as I've been cheering many of their players all season, and I don't see why I have to stop supporting them just because they are wearing a different shirt.

I'll also be keeping an eye on Uruguay, I'd love to see Suarez perform on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Germany, for Ozil podolski and Mertesacker.

England for Ox and wilshere

Spain for santi, nacho and Cesc

France for giroud and kos.

But mostly Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You are Gay.

Great little team.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Everyone in work getting behind Ghana so will get into that.

failing that Argentina, always root for them Would love messi to win it in Brazil as Neymar cries and cries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im putting my money on Uraguay they wont win it but they should make the semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

mikeym wrote: »
    Im putting my money on Uraguay they wont win it but they should make the semi-final.

Then why would you put money on them?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Will be supporting Germany, always a great buzz around during the tournaments. Probably head to the fan miles for a game or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'll probably be supporting Uruguay. Nothing to do with them being in England's group, just think they have a serious crop of players and hope they do well.

Also, I like to see Spain do well. Had good craic with some of their fans after they humped us in Gdánsk.

Would also like to see the Aussies get to the knockouts and see what happens from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

kfallon wrote: »
    Think Chile might spring a bit of a surprise in their group, might upset one of Spain or Holland

They're a good side and it wouldn't be the biggest shock if they qualified from that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

aidan24326 wrote: »
    They're a good side and it wouldn't be the biggest shock if they qualified from that group.

No but most people will look at the group, see the 2 finalists from 2010 and think it will be a cakewalk for them. Tbh the odds for Chile qualifying aren't great anyway the last time I checked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Brazil or Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm going to support Ecuador because out of the countries in the group stages I have spent the longer there than anywhere else in 1 continuous trip and the food and people are epic.

Accumulated I've spent more time in several European countries and the US, but shush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Argentina

For the Zabba and Aguero connection and for Messi . I dont think anybody in the history of the World Cup has ever been under more pressure . I hope he does well

I'm sticking a few pound on America reaching the knock-outs

Also depends on who I get drawn in my workplace World Cup pools. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement