Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who will you be supporting in the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

mikeym wrote: »
    Im putting my money on Uraguay they wont win it but they should make the semi-final.

I'd have serious doubts about that, with their defense and midfield. Sure, they have Suarez and Cavani, but beyond that, there isn't much to shout home about, bar Godin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Anybody but the racist Spanish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Croatia. Will also be supporting an usual england implosion, always so funny.

Are people just backing uruguay or think they will go far. They really struggled to qualify. I fancy columbia and a bit of chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Holland for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Argentina.

Would like to see Messi do it on the biggest stage plus some of my favourite players Aguero, Masch etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Whoever captures my imagination.

Would perhaps have a slight European bias, would like to see a team from my continent do well in South America. Small countries like Belgium and Croatia would get my vote as it would give me hope that Ireland could one day achieve something.

Similarly I think I could get behind Uruguay. The Suarez factor too would help, it would be great to see him lay down a marker and show he is as good as anyone in the world.

Any team that contributes towards the magic of the World Cup I can see myself getting behind.

Will probably place a few bets to make it interesting too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Always been fond of Portugal since I was young, had a fascination with Rui Costa because of Championship Manager I think, although not positive on that! Ronaldo being there helps also.

Gonna put money on Brazil though, so I'll want them to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Since I am living in Germany now for the last two years and will be watching with my coworkers and neighbors, I will be supporting them.

Looking forward to a good tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I always like to see the mediocre teams doing well so I'll be behind the likes of Chile, Australia, Greece, USA, Japan, Bosnia, Belgium, Ghana, South Korea etc.

Of all the dark horses I'd like to see Portugal, Croatia or Russia win it but I think it will probably be Spain/Germany/Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Holland they where the 1st team i ever remember seeing playing, Was in 98 against Brazil think the colour of the jersey stood out most so always root for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Holland they where the 1st team i ever remember seeing playing, Was in 98 against Brazil think the colour of the jersey stood out most so always root for them now.

:eek: Making me feel very old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

As many others have said, Id like Argentina to win it, mainly because of Messi.

Hes been criticised by some who say hes not great for Argentina (which he certaintly is!) and winning the World Cup will confirm his greatness and I think confirm him as the greatest ever.

Cmon Leo and Argentina :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Hes been criticised by some who say hes not great for Argentina (which he certaintly is!) and winning the World Cup will confirm his greatness and I think confirm him as the greatest ever.

Winning, or not winning, the World Cup will have zero relation to whether or not Messi is seen as the greatest player ever or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

:eek: Making me feel very old now

Pffff... Seen my country lose 3 wc finals live now. Getting really tired of that **** and old :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Germany,

Always support them (when they're not battering Ireland, that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Spain for me, then Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

As long as Spain, Germany, Portugal, France, Holland, Brazil or Italy don't win it, i don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As I live here I'll be supporting England. That being said I'd be amazed if they went any further than the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

England ofc

Even got my lovely 1986 jersey ready to rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Always like to see Portugal do well, as they've always had some outstanding technical players, like Rui Costa, Figo, Ronaldo.

I'd like to see Uruguay do well, especially if Diego Forlan has a prominent part to play. A country with a population smaller than ourselves, but produce fantastic players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Portugal, have Portuguese family and they're pretty good I reckon.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Giblet wrote: »
    Portugal, have Portuguese family and they're pretty good I reckon.

Your family or the team? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

England for me. Have always watched their games with great interest, and always want to see them to well.

Feck the begrudgers and the haters. I don't care. I'm a Liverpool fan first, and a football fan 2nd. Liverpool have, for the majority of my lifetime, always had a decent presence in the English squad, and as such I watch with a vested interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Your family or the team? :p

I loves me some homemade Coelho Assado no Forno.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

England - 99% for good will support of the team, 1% for sadenfruede from the hyperbolic rage of their red-press when they crash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Netherlands and England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Knex. wrote: »
    England for me. Have always watched their games with great interest, and always want to see them to well.

Feck the begrudgers and the haters. I don't care. I'm a Liverpool fan first, and a football fan 2nd. Liverpool have, for the majority of my lifetime, always had a decent presence in the English squad, and as such I watch with a vested interest.

No need to justify yourself id say, this looks to be the complete opposite to the pub culture where people here are pro England and daring people to question why they shouldnt be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Knex. wrote: »

I find that stupid the same people who tend to hate England, Cheer the same players on the following weekend playing for there English club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Il definitely be supporting Chile.

Love their style and attitude.

Some great senior players in the team and also had a few cracking minors a few years back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Il definitely be supporting Chile.

Love their style and attitude.

Some great senior players in the team and also had a few cracking minors a few years back.

That's a great shout, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is justifying why you could support England the new cool thing now? Seen fair bit of it on here already. Theres nothing wrong with supporting England if you want to, there's also nothing wrong with people not wanting to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Corholio wrote: »
    Is justifying why you could support England the new cool thing now? Seen fair bit of it on here already. Theres nothing wrong with supporting England if you want to, there's also nothing wrong with people not wanting to support them.

Will be hoping to see the United lads do well eg will want Rooney to score in the inevitable shootout but Gerrard miss. Will also laugh myself silly if Suarez does something silly to Gerrard like bite him.

Will support whoever I have money on though. No real feelings towards any of the teams either way although as a lot of posters have said would like to see Argentina or Portugal do well as would like Ronaldo or Messi to win a World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Engerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I shall support and bet on Argentina to win the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Brazil or Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    This has been done already, hasn't it ?

Yup. Pretty much every 4 years since 1930!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

bmcc10 wrote: »
    I find that stupid the same people who tend to hate England, Cheer the same players on the following weekend playing for there English club.

This is always brought up, i dont see why this is a problem or an arguement. So many english people hate english players playing on rival club teams but love them as internationals. It is possible you know? It not really loving or hating the player personally but more about what they represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bosnia due to my Edin Dzeko TGS bet :pac:

Would love to see Spain win it again and cement themselves as the best of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

England Netherlands or Germany in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The english press make us hate England more than we should. They could put out a hugely talented team but with ambitionless Roy in charge, will falter. Its the first World Cup, I have no favourites. Maybe Argentina cos Id like to see Messi win, but thats a head choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd like to see Argentina win it if only for people to stop banging on about how Lionel Messi wont be considered one of the greats if he doesn't win it.

I'd genuinely like to see England do well, if only Hodgson wasn't at the helm...jesus he bugs the crap out of me.

Would be fun to see Spain win it again...I don't really mind the way they play the game and with the talent their disposal they have a great chance of getting far. I don't know a huge much about Del Bosque's tactical nous, but I feel he will need to adapt more than say Guardiola in order to win it.

Forgot to say.......anyone but Spain

carraig2 wrote: »
    Forgot to say.......anyone but Spain

why?

why?

Cos I spent a week in Madrid once and got mugged. Have a chip on my shoulder about them since.

Actually I am joking really. Just think they won enough lately.

I just hope football is the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

srfc19 wrote: »
    Yup. Pretty much every 4 years since 1930!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STe6I7RglsE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

South Korea for the wife and cos i've actually got their jersey.

Wouldn't mind seeing Uruguay or chile do well either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Allez Les Bleus

Also like to see Belgium and Germany do well