Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpal hyperextension in our dog

• 05-05-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Our husky is 9 months old. She is a rescue dog and we have her 4 weeks. She has carpal hyperextension and is taking calcium tablets for her bones. She was badly mistreated and this may have been the cause of her problem(kept in a tiny cage)
    She is really playfull and loves her walks but seems she gets really sore and can't go too far.
    I want to help her enjoy her life and have been looking at leg braces like the ones linked below. The Carpo-Flex X Wrap is the one I'm looking at getting her for both front legs
    Does anyone have experience of these or similar and could anyone advise if they will help her walk and play with less pain
    Thanks
    http://www.zoomadog.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=112
    http://www.therapaw.com/carpalwraps-1.aspx
    Edit we have been to the vet and will also bring these to her aswell to get her advise, just testing the water as such

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Poor girl. Is it something that might improve with time or will it be lifelong?

I'm sorry I can't comment on leg wraps but I did want to mention water based exercise. We brought ours for a fun swim at a canine hydrotherapy centre and they were so tired after. They were just swimming and playing but the centre has an underwater thread mill too for therapy.

I wonder would it help with her legs at all. It might at least give you another exercise option. ( check with the vet first because I know nothing about the problem she has and could be suggesting something that might even make things worse. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Yeah the vet has said it will be lifelong, she is going back to the vet tomorrow so will ask about the supports and the swim therapy aswell
    Thanks!

Advertisement