Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final list of Maynooth area candidates

Options
  • 05-05-2014 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

9 seats. 15 candidates. This could be very interesting.

John McGinley, Labour;
    Julie McNamara, Labour;
    Martin Grehan, People Before Profit Alliance;
    Tim Durkan, Fine Gael;
    Brendan Weld, Fine Gael;
    Seamus Langan, Fine Gael;
    Padraig McEvoy, Non-Party;
    Teresa Murray, Non-Party;
    Reada Cronin, Sinn Fein;
    Ben Doyle, Fianna Fail;
    Paul Ward, Fianna Fail;
    Daragh Fitzpatrick, Fianna Fail;
    Naoise O Cearuil, Fianna Fail;
    Joan McGuire, Non-Party;
    John Paul Gannon, Non-Party.

The last two are late declarations. Can't find anything about Gannon. McGuire seems to be a turf cutting protest candidate.

I think there could be some shocks and some very predictable results this time round. Some shoe-ins like McEvoy and Weld. I think Durkan could get in on his father's name alone but also as he's running for Griffin's seat and it probably will stay in the party. Labour could conceivably get no seats as the backlash kicks in - definitely can't see them getting two. If that happens then Cronin and Grehan could well get in - at least one of them will though imo. My money is on Murray (obviously ;) ) to take a seat - large support in Maynooth and will pull in votes from surrounding areas. FF running four candidates - 2 have to be for vote management.

The canvas will be interesting the next 3 weeks anyway.

Full list of all Kildare candidates are in the Leinster Leader.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

And the order on the ballot paper which could be important.

Reada Cronin, Sinn Fein;
    Ben Doyle, Fianna Fail;
    Tim Durkan, Fine Gael;
    Daragh Fitzpatrick, Fianna Fail;
    Martin Grehan, People Before Profit Alliance;
    Seamus Langan, Fine Gael;
    Padraig McEvoy, Non-Party;
    John McGinley, Labour;
    Joan McGuire, Non-Party;
    Julie McNamara, Labour;
    Teresa Murray, Non-Party;
    Naoise O Cearuil, Fianna Fail;
    Paul Ward, Fianna Fail;
    Brendan Weld, Fine Gael;

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never even heard of Murray and I've lived in Maynooth for over a quarter of a century - no different to the other independents to me in terms of knowing them.

The fact that we're absolutely guaranteed a high number of independent and/or small party candidates due to the fairly low ratio of candidates to seats is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

What do people feel is acceptable time for canvassers to be calling at doors?

I ran a candidate from my door at 9.20pm on Saturday night. I told the candidate I felt it were too late and I would not take any materials or discuss anything at such a late time. At 10pm she was at houses the far side of the road!

I think anytime up to 8pm is fair game, 8-9pm fair enough, it is summer time, I think after 9 is too late though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my kids go to bed at 8 so anytime before that is good,I would be angry with someone for calling at 10.
    we have had one canvasser and it was weeks ago and that is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I see Mr Grehan's short lived thread has disappeared. I would have thought that once he asked for a platform that it would at least last until the elections.

• Advertisement

It's not disappeared - it's just been unstickied.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Orion wrote: »
    It's not disappeared - it's just been unstickied.

And now locked!

Pretty damning for the candidate. Makes alot of noise but once the going gets anyway tough slinks away. Can't see anyone voting for him on the back of that thread. Why would you bother if that's the attitude. Weak.

Also no idea why it was locked?

lordgoat wrote: »
    And now locked!

Pretty damning for the candidate. Makes alot of noise but once the going gets anyway tough slinks away. Can't see anyone voting for him on the back of that thread. Why would you bother if that's the attitude. Weak.

I wouldn't be as harsh on anyone who comes on the board to answer queries. It works well with UPC and other companies.

It is a bad reflection when you don't stick with the agreement. He wanted to explain himself better and saw an opportunity to gain some votes. To leave so abruptly is disappointing and well each voter can make up their minds.

I am more disappointed that the OP got a lot of protection from the moderators in the early stage of the discussion thread but when he decided to leave, he was allowed to "take the ball home" with his thread locked etc.

Not a good sign for democracy. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

lordgoat wrote: »

As far as I know, he would have paid to register here officially as a candidate, so I wonder if that payment gave him the right to end the discussion?

Open to correction on that point, but I thought that this was a service Boards were selling to candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Something that Martin said in that thread set me thinking. He said he couldn't do boards cause he hadn't time and hadn't a big team. This got me wondering if a candidate from a big party joins up would it be them talking or some lacky with their password.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I've never even heard of Murray and I've lived in Maynooth for over a quarter of a century - no different to the other independents to me in terms of knowing them.

Nor me, but I'm only here around eight years. She canvassed our estate last Friday (I think it was Friday) with someone who is apparently my neighbour but that is as much as I was told. She is involved in local schools via PTAs is as much as I got - I wouldn't know her as I have no involvement with local schools as yet. The literature she left us had three key issues as far as I recall - a right turning filter lane from Moyglare Road to the the Kilcock Road, a left turning filter lane from Main St to Straffan Road (at Brady's corner) and more Gardai. Can't disagree with any of those issues, even if I am unsure if the two filter lanes are feasible without a fair bit of realignment!

Can anyone tell me anything they know about the following?

Padraig McEvoy, Non-Party
    Joan McGuire, Non-Party

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me anything they know about the following?

Joan McGuire, Non-Party

Padraig McEvoy is a sitting Councillor and his father was a previous Councillor for years. He is based in Clane and is worth considering as he is not an anti- establishment Cllr.

HonalD wrote: »
    I wouldn't be as harsh on anyone who comes on the board to answer queries. It works well with UPC and other companies.

It is a bad reflection when you don't stick with the agreement. He wanted to explain himself better and saw an opportunity to gain some votes. To leave so abruptly is disappointing and well each voter can make up their minds.

I am more disappointed that the OP got a lot of protection from the moderators in the early stage of the discussion thread but when he decided to leave, he was allowed to "take the ball home" with his thread locked etc.

Not a good sign for democracy. Rant over.

He got no "protection" from mods. It's a rule of boards generally that speculating as the real life identity of an account is forbidden unless that person waives that protection. The warning given by Niamh was for exactly that - his previous account on boards is out of bounds for exactly that reason. Dav said as much on the Feedback thread.

I know Martin - he is flat out running his campaign. And as Redsoxfan said he paid for the opportunity to engage with people here. If he is unable to engage fully due to his campaigning then locking the thread is the right thing to do imo.

I've never even heard of Murray and I've lived in Maynooth for over a quarter of a century - no different to the other independents to me in terms of knowing them..

You also said previously that you've no kids. She's very involved in education - teacher in Celbridge, member of the ETB, PTA Chair of MPPS and Chair of the Maynooth Schools Group which is campaigning for the single school model for post primary education in Maynooth. So not having kids - especially kids of school going age - means you won't have a direct connection with her. Still she's been very active in the last number of years on the school campaign and has been on KFM a number of times and in both local rags often in relation to that issue. As well as for her work with the MPPS and the 10K. Surprised you haven't heard of her as you are very community orientated from what you post here.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Paul Gannon, Non-Party.
    Joan McGuire, Non-Party

McEvoy is a sitting councillor. He'll be second behind Weld I'd say in the voting.
    Gannon I can't find anything about - he's from the west of the county I've heard but that's it.
    McGuire seems to be a turfcutters protest vote. Seems to be associated with http://www.thelandleague.com/. https://www.facebook.com/joan.mcguire.355 - this is assuming that this is the candidate - she's the only Joan McGuire I can find in Kildare who's active.

Orion wrote: »
    He got no "protection" from mods. It's a rule of boards generally that speculating as the real life identity of an account is forbidden unless that person waives that protection. The warning given by Niamh was for exactly that - his previous account on boards is out of bounds for exactly that reason. Dav said as much on the Feedback thread.

I know Martin - he is flat out running his campaign. And as Redsoxfan said he paid for the opportunity to engage with people here. If he is unable to engage fully due to his campaigning then locking the thread is the right thing to do imo.

I stand by my comment of protection. You will not know the details of the warning I received, with nothing to do with his previous life.

As I said he was brave coming onto Boards but the way he disappeared and then the thread being taken out of action, is a bad reflection on his values.

I'm sure he's a lovely hard working man, but his "policies" were without foundation. To promise no reduction in services and no increase in taxes is something a gullible voter might agree with but in the real world, it doesn't stack up and that was the main part of the thread.

But can we move on.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I agree.

Mr. Grehan's initiative in opening a public, on the record debate is laudable. It's unfortunate that he wasn't able to sustain that debate or validly defend his policies.

But then again very few candidates can actually offer a cogent, reasoned argument with a well informed and articulate voter. This is particularly true of the non government parties and "anti austerity" independents. Very few can actually discuss policies and finances that are actually within the remit of a County Councillor and none will question their party policies.

I also find that many of the sitting candidates rely on their often meagre achievements and an almost pathetic appeal to the voter to maintain the status quo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

There is only 1 of the existing councillors who will get a vote from me, the rest haven't been as active, John McGinley has acted on items for me and other people I know, he will get some form of vote. The rest are all out of my reckoning.

Just had a look through the locked thread referenced here, can't believe I missed that one, well done to everyone on the deep questioning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Staplor wrote: »
    There is only 1 of the existing councillors who will get a vote from me, the rest haven't been as active, John McGinley has acted on items for me and other people I know, he will get some form of vote. The rest are all out of my reckoning.

Just had a look through the locked thread referenced here, can't believe I missed that one, well done to everyone on the deep questioning.

He will get my vote too as he is the only local councillor that I know .
    As for the rest I am not too sure if anyone wants to sort out the primary school situation or help me with it then they get my vote .

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Moonbeam wrote: »
    He will get my vote too as he is the only local councillor that I know .
    As for the rest I am not too sure if anyone wants to sort out the primary school situation or help me with it then they get my vote .

Not having a go, but to state that x will get your vote as he is the only local councillor that you know isn't a reason at all for voting for somebody. I would respectfully suggest looking to see what the alternatives are- or not voting at all imho.

For me, the big issue is disentangling what each candidate says they want to achieve from what is achievable as a councillor. For example, any candidate stating that they want to reverse any cuts to an ambulance service is talking nonsense- a member of KCC has literally no input to HSE budgetary matters.

All they could possibly achieve is to get the council to pass a motion calling on the HSE to restore funding- there is no legal, administrative or other onus on the HSE to respond to this. Likewise anti-pylon, turf-cutting or national austerity policies are devoid of any meaning in the context of local elections.

As a suggestion for testing prospective candidates who may ask for your vote, have a scan of the KCC 2014
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Publications/Budget2013/FullBudgetNew.pdf pick an area of it that interests you and look at the funding agreed for it (page 54)- I wouldn't expect candidates to know this document inside out, but they should, at least have an understanding of the main issues and if they say it should be increased, ask them where else in the budget is this to come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

Reada Cronin , the Sinn Fein candidate, deserves to do well. Although not a sitting councillor, she has already been active on a number of local issues and is a founding member of the Save Our Ambulance campaign in Maynooth. Her sister Alvagh Cronin is very active on the Maynooth Schools Group issue and Reada is closely allied to this also. Reada did a petition in Prosperous late last year to try and get us some traffic-calming measures,(the town is like a set from "The Fast and The Furious" at nightime!), but the sitting councillors didn't even bother to reply.

Being a female candidate won't hurt either, the councillors have been almost exclusively male up to now and we could certainly do with a change. Teresa Murray, the other female candidate with a reasonable chance is OK, but appears to be a 'one-trick pony', i.e a single-issue candidate. Julie McNamara is the Labour candidate!. LABOUR! Grrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Reada Cronin , the Sinn Fein candidate, deserves to do well. Although not a sitting councillor, she has already been active on a number of local issues and is a founding member of the Save Our Ambulance campaign in Maynooth. Her sister Alvagh Cronin is very active on the Maynooth Schools Group issue and Reada is closely allied to this also. Reada did a petition in Prosperous late last year to try and get us some traffic-calming measures,(the town is like a set from "The Fast and The Furious" at nightime!), but the sitting councillors didn't even bother to reply.

Being a female candidate won't hurt either, the councillors have been almost exclusively male up to now and we could certainly do with a change. Teresa Murray, the other female candidate with a reasonable chance is OK, but appears to be a 'one-trick pony', i.e a single-issue candidate. Julie McNamara is the Labour candidate!. LABOUR! Grrrrr!

The same questions, as put to all other aspiring councillors, should be answered by her:
    - in which local voluntary groups have you been involved?
    - how long have you been involved in these groups?
    - in what way does your background, education, work experience and voluntary work make you a good candidate as a councillor?
    - what changes would you propose to the KCC budget and how will these be funded?
    Then we need to look at political and social policies and opinions, things they favour or abhor - country sports for example.

Existing councillors going for re- election have most of the above plus an analysis of their record and achievements on the council.

I'm not the least interested in opinions or policies on issues that will not be within the remit of a councillor!

Reada has only been involved in local issues since deciding to run where Teresa has been involved in local organisations for years. Even Reada's leaflet is very bare on the ground - "always been involved in the local community" and then going on to mention the ambulances which only arose in the last year. If she had been involved in more organisations before last year she'd have listed them.

You neglect to mention that Teresa is the Chair of the Maynooth Schools Group that Alvagh (and myself) are in. She has also been on the PTA and BOM of Scoil Ui Riada and currently MPPS, the Governing Authority of NUIM, Vice President of the ETB National Parents Council and a parent rep on the ETB itself as well as former Registrar of the GAA club in Maynooth. She's also chaired the 10K committee since the run's inauguration. Education, traffic infrastrucure and Gardai number are her three main policies - not a one trick pony in the slightest.

Seeing as you know so much about Reada can you answer if you are part of her campaign or a member of SF yourself? I've nailed my colours to the mast as a member of Teresa's campaign so as not to be a shill.

I do think Reada will get in - at least it'll probably be a tussle between her and Grehan for a seat. She'll get a preference from me down the order if I can bring myself to give SF a preference at all.

I would be inclined to agree with shilling particularly with the rather unhinged end to the comment...

Seperately - if you think traffic calming will reduce boy racers, or noise, or overall traffic risk - it won't. If anything it'll be noisier and there'll be a lot more dangerous driving afterwards.

Actually just noticed that you say Reada is "closely allied" to the MSG. Why do you say that? She supports it yes. She follows the facebook page. She spoke at the public meeting last year as did Martin Grehan. But apart from her sister being in the group that's about it. She hasn't been to a single meeting of the group. She did get a PQ submitted by the party education spokesman but she isn't the only one who did that. Martin, Naoise and Catherine Murphy all either submitted questions or had their party to do so also.

Don't get me wrong here - I've met her a couple of times and she seems like a lovely, committed, well intentioned woman and I get on very well with Alvagh. But let's keep the politicking to actual facts.

Seperately - if you think traffic calming will reduce boy racers, or noise, or overall traffic risk - it won't. If anything it'll be noisier and there'll be a lot more dangerous driving afterwards.

Agree with that. They often see it as a challenge rather than an obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

I would be inclined to agree with shilling particularly with the rather unhinged end to the comment...

Traffic calming exists in Clane,Allenwood, Derrinturn, Allen, Caragh....and now Kilshanroe. Everywhere along the R403 (and other roads) through North Kildare in fact, with the glaring exception of Prosperous. We're not just talking about ramps here, there are other workable systems which could be used. As to it's efficacy or not, well the people of these villages are not seeking to have their traffic-calming measures removed. Enhanced, maybe.

As to my rather 'unhinged' ending comment....I was opining on the Labour party, (shorthand), not on the candidate at all. (Many other people have expressed comments on Labour's legacy of broken promises in a far more forthright manner than mine).

If you're going to go down the road of a parties legacy while pushing an SF candidate... good luck.

Separately, I'd advise you to compare their promises to actions in the NI Assembly. In particularly in relation to water, but in general its well worth comparing.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Not having a go, but to state that x will get your vote as he is the only local councillor that you know isn't a reason at all for voting for somebody. I would respectfully suggest looking to see what the alternatives are- or not voting at all imho.

For me, the big issue is disentangling what each candidate says they want to achieve from what is achievable as a councillor. For example, any candidate stating that they want to reverse any cuts to an ambulance service is talking nonsense- a member of KCC has literally no input to HSE budgetary matters.

All they could possibly achieve is to get the council to pass a motion calling on the HSE to restore funding- there is no legal, administrative or other onus on the HSE to respond to this. Likewise anti-pylon, turf-cutting or national austerity policies are devoid of any meaning in the context of local elections.

As a suggestion for testing prospective candidates who may ask for your vote, have a scan of the KCC 2014
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Publications/Budget2013/FullBudgetNew.pdf pick an area of it that interests you and look at the funding agreed for it (page 54)- I wouldn't expect candidates to know this document inside out, but they should, at least have an understanding of the main issues and if they say it should be increased, ask them where else in the budget is this to come from.

It was bad phrasing on my part.
    That I am familiar with the work of is probably more accurate.
    I have 0 idea what the rest of them do as I have not come across them or their work yet.

• Advertisement

Very informative leaflet on Teresa Murray delivered this morning.

Advertisement