Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final list of Maynooth area candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Orion wrote: »
    Reada has only been involved in local issues since deciding to run where Teresa has been involved in local organisations for years. Even Reada's leaflet is very bare on the ground - "always been involved in the local community" and then going on to mention the ambulances which only arose in the last year. If she had been involved in more organisations before last year she'd have listed them.

You neglect to mention that Teresa is the Chair of the Maynooth Schools Group that Alvagh (and myself) are in. She has also been on the PTA and BOM of Scoil Ui Riada and currently MPPS, the Governing Authority of NUIM, Vice President of the ETB National Parents Council and a parent rep on the ETB itself as well as former Registrar of the GAA club in Maynooth. She's also chaired the 10K committee since the run's inauguration. Education, traffic infrastrucure and Gardai number are her three main policies - not a one trick pony in the slightest.

Seeing as you know so much about Reada can you answer if you are part of her campaign or a member of SF yourself? I've nailed my colours to the mast as a member of Teresa's campaign so as not to be a shill.

I do think Reada will get in - at least it'll probably be a tussle between her and Grehan for a seat. She'll get a preference from me down the order if I can bring myself to give SF a preference at all.

I fully accept that Teresa is committed to local issues- judging by the organisations listed, but if "Maynooth schools" are specifically part of the manifesto, how will winning a seat advance this issue? This should be stated in precise terms, not in any generalised "will work towards" or "will be actively pursuing" the issue. The Dept of Ed decides (centrally) on future school requirements, the most a councillor can achieve is for KCC to ask the Dept to sanction new/improved schools. If the Dept. says no- what will the councillor do next to further the issue?

PS- I didn't get the leaflet, hence asking the question out loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

baaba maal wrote: »
    I fully accept that Teresa is committed to local issues- judging by the organisations listed, but if "Maynooth schools" are specifically part of the manifesto, how will winning a seat advance this issue? This should be stated in precise terms, not in any generalised "will work towards" or "will be actively pursuing" the issue. The Dept of Ed decides (centrally) on future school requirements, the most a councillor can achieve is for KCC to ask the Dept to sanction new/improved schools. If the Dept. says no- what will the councillor do next to further the issue?

KCC decides on planning permission and the local area plan - including traffic management. And that is the current major obstacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

KCC decides on planning permission

Councillors have no direct role in it process.

KCC decides on planning permission and the local area plan - including traffic management. And that is the current major obstacle.

Are you saying that KCC officials are opposed to the school and it requires elected reps to change KCC policies to enable it?

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    Councillors have no direct role in it process.

Poor phrasing from me. No role in planning permission but a role in the area plan. KCC have been lacking in developing their own local area plan to date especially in that area.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Are you saying that KCC officials are opposed to the school and it requires elected reps to change KCC policies to enable it?

Not at all. Officials have no opinion on the school - as in the options of single school/two schools. Their concern is planning. One of the major planning queries is re: traffic management but if KCC had followed through with their own development plan most of the objections would have been satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

'Very informative leaflet on Teresa Murray delivered this morning.'

Yes, I received that leaflet too, and my copy of the 10k times. I have to concede that an earlier posting I made referring to the candidate in question as a 'one trick pony', was unfair and unwarranted. Someone else here used the phrase (in another context) , "It was bad phrasing on my part." Exactly. My concerns around 'Independent' candidates clearly do not apply in this case.

I'd like to commend her for all her hard work and wish her well in this Electoral contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No leaflet here, hopefully get one at some stage - would consider giving her something

No leaflet here, hopefully get one at some stage - would consider giving her something

It's on Electionlit:
    http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/leaflet-from-teresa-murray-independent-maynooth-2014-local-elections/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I got a canvasser for Fine Gael last night, I was told that Timmy Durkan is Bernard Durkan's son.

Brought me back to the sketch on the Savage Eye. (Not the criminal bit, but the my father voted for his father bit)

The fact the canvassers main point was who his father is meant I just accepted their literature and said thanks.

I got Durkan's leaflet a few weeks ago. Talk about thin on the ground. Things like "I've always been interested in politics" and nothing about actual policies or anything he's done in the area at all. It's probably in the bin but if I still have it I'll scan it later on. I've seen nothing else - no press statements, website, facebook page - it's almost as if he's expecting to get in on the name Durkan and on Weld's FG transfers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've never met Teresa Murray, but, having myself been involved in Youth work, Schools PTA and Board of Management some years ago, I must say I'm impressed with her credentials.

It's nice to read election literature that contains some actual community involvement and achievement rather than just aspirations and promises!

I think she would make an excellent public representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I got Durkan's leaflet a few weeks ago. Talk about thin on the ground. Things like "I've always been interested in politics" and nothing about actual policies or anything he's done in the area at all. It's probably in the bin but if I still have it I'll scan it later on. I've seen nothing else - no press statements, website, facebook page - it's almost as if he's expecting to get in on the name Durkan and on Weld's FG transfers ;)

Part of his stated political experience on said flyer (just this morning collected by Thorntons) is 'working for daddy in Leinster House'. A position gained on merit I'm sure.

He has one goal only I reckon and that is to inherit Bernard's seat.

Let him sing for it, he's getting no vote from me in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

Same old, same old......"Entitlement culture" maybe?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deancogan28

Gannon is a spoofer... He lives in Chambers Park in Kilcock, he wasnt even involved with the residents association up there, I spoke with friends of mine in Chambers Park who are active in the estate and they never even heard of him. He claims in his leaflet to have an interest in Tidy towns, yet apparently he has never assisted in the Chambers Park twice yearly clean up...

Candidates are throwing up posters all over Kilcock such as Murray, McEvoy Durkan and Weld and yet they wont even canvass in Kilcock. I doubt that Theresa Murray even knows where Kilcock is and she expects people to vote for her to represent them at council level? No thanks...

Teresa was actually in Kilcock last night. She met with the youth members of Foroige at their invitation and canvassed some of the area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Candidates are throwing up posters all over Kilcock such as Murray, McEvoy Durkan and Weld and yet they wont even canvass in Kilcock. I doubt that Theresa Murray even knows where Kilcock is and she expects people to vote for her to represent them at council level? No thanks...

Before you make silly juvenile statements I'd suggest that you read Teresa Murry's literature and maybe talk to some of the parents of school going kids who are involved in the PTA, teachers or people in the basketball club.

Oh! ...and welcome to Boards

welcome to boards??? Thats a welcome that 3 years to late, but thanks anyway.. I have children in the schools in Kilcock.. I live in Kilcock I have family in Kilcock and I assure you that she hasnt canvassed me or any of my family.. Speaking to faroige is all well and good but why doesnt she talk to residents associations about what she plans to do regarding getting estates taken in charge or what her stance is on section 141of the local government act is (google it).. Instead of sticking up some posters and sticking leaflets in doors. I may not agree with Martin Grehan and his politics but at least he had the manners to ASK me for my vote, unlike Mrs. Murray

• Advertisement

I don't know how you can expect an independent candidate with a small team around her to be able to call to every door in the constituency which stretches across the whole north of the county. There are plenty of places where all candidates, including Martin, haven't called to every door.

In a democracy such as this one you can't assume that every question you have will be answered by someone calling to your door. You have a responsibility to keep yourself informed also and if you can't find an answer then ask. Teresa can be contacted through her website (link in my sig) if you have any questions for her - or on Facebook. Giving someone a vote simply because he happened to call to your door and you happened to be in at the time even though you may disagree with his policies is not making an informed decision when casting your vote. You may as well just roll a dice to decide who to vote for on that basis.

You may as well just roll the dice when chosing a candidate based on literature. I value my vote and I expect a candidate to earn my vote. I am chairperson of the residents association one of the largest housing estates in Kilcock, an estate that has had issues in he past, I assure you that Mrs. Murray has not been here and I also speak to other residents associations in Kilcock who have also raised the same point. I dont expect her to knock on EVERY door in Kilcock, but I do expect her to be up to speed with themajor issues concerning residents in kilcock just like other Maynooth cadidates have. I have read her leaflets where she states she will be MAYNOOTHS independent candidate, which says it all really. I understand that you have a vested interest in the said candidate, I on the other hand dont, I am whats considered a "floating voter" and would very much like to know what their views are on a range of issues..

Maynooth is the name of the local electoral area despite the fact that it contains other population centres and smaller villages/towns. That is why the literature says Maynooth. You can thank the Minister for that. Naas and Athy are similarly named.

Not canvassing large housing estates in Kilcock indicates to me a lack of interest. Reada Cronin has, Martin Grehan has.. Paul Ward has. Even Julie McNamara from Clane has.. Teresa Murray hasnt... And thats the fact of the issue.. Maybe you can tell her DoE that it might be a good idea to losten the the whole of the constituancy and not just her local area.

I already said she was in Kilcock last night and she will be there again. Just because she didn't call to your door yet doesn't mean she's not interested - she is. If you want to you can PM me your estate and I can make sure that she gets to you next time she's in Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

I've no political bias, I believe that hard workers deserve a position. I've seen McEvoy at meetings for various things (not in the last year or so though) and quite impressed at him, seemed intelligent, calm and level headed. He'll get a vote from me.

Brendan Weld also.

I had heard good things about Murray well before the elections came around, but her campaign seems to be quite narrowly focused on Maynooth.

Gannon is a strange one, appears to have done absolutely nothing voluntarily at all, but promises to in future if you vote him in!! I really question why he's running at all... has he a secret backing of a group of builders or something?

--
    Ok, I've seen the ratio of candidate to seats. It's all clear now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have only had 2 canvassers Martin Grehan and 2 little old ladies telling me Rónán Mullen would make a difference. I may not support all of what Martin Grehan stands for but I do respect that after the canvassers came to the door and I asked a lot of questions he came back himself to talk to me about the issues and he seems to be passionate about the role.
    I have no idea who I am voting for yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had Labour, SF, FF (twice!), Grehan, someone for Mullen around while I was in. Leaflets for FG and Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We (while we were in) had Labour (Local Elections) twice - canvassers once, the man himself the second time. Canvassers for Marion Harkin a while back. Canvassers for Durkan the Younger what seems like an age ago. Martin Grehan canvassers. Teresa Murray and a nameless neighbour. No sign of Mullenites. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

One wonders if Mr Gannon was so good, then why would he have to have someone connected to him registering multiple accounts to shill, sing his praises and defend him.

Says more about the candidate than those who disagree with him.

P.S. Don't do it again.

Advertisement