Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final list of Maynooth area candidates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I hate when someone seems great then you read what party that they are affiliated with.
    I think that the independents will do really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deancogan28

I can assure you that I am not the chairperson of Chambers Park residents association.... but why let the truth get in the way of a good story... Gannon has done nothing in Kilcock... nobody knows him, he is a spoofer... There was a BBQ in Chambers Park last night... the vast majority of the estate were there, Mr Gannon wasnt there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Perhaps he was calling to people's doors and asking them for their vote. Apparently some people will only vote for candidates who have the manners to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deancogan28

Perhaps he was, just shows how clueless he really is then... Rule 1.. Know your electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm beginning to suspect a certain candidate thinks that the entire electorate are idiots, while making themselves look like possibly the biggest one who's let near a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭offalyred

At least most of those posting here will have some representation that knows your area. The Maynooth area runs to within half a mile of Edenderry town. Who get elected for Edenderry has far, far, more relevance to us. There will be no meaningful representation for my part the county, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

offalyred wrote: »
    At least most of those posting here will have some representation that knows your area. The Maynooth area runs to within half a mile of Edenderry town. Who get elected for Edenderry has far, far, more relevance to us. There will be no meaningful representation for my part the county, that's for sure.

That's a fair comment. The Maynooth LEA is very big on the ground. Population wise, the centre of gravity is around Maynooth, Kilcock and Clane. Chances are, if you haven't seen the candidates in the flesh by now, you probably won't. Kudos to the ones who made the effort to get out there into the more rural townlands and presented themselves on the doorsteps.

MYOB wrote: »
    Had Labour, SF, FF (twice!), Grehan, someone for Mullen around while I was in. Leaflets for FG and Murray.

Murray (in person) called around now also; while it was quite wet outside. Didn't keep her long as I had little to ask and thought it'd be quite bad form if a candidate had to be hospitalised for trench foot!

Find it very odd that FG haven't had anyone around but I'm not in all the time - generally get a 'sorry you were out' card though.

FG were out in your neck of the woods last week - not sure for which candidate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I'm based in Kilcock, in an estate beside Chambers Park. We've had McEvoy an McNamara knock on our door so far. Fianna Fail's candidate from Kilcock also left a leaflet in our door. I think that's about it. Also got a bunch of literature today from various MEPs and other hopefuls.

Gannon has plastered our estate with posters, despite never having visited us or having any interest in our estate (unlike McEvoy). His literature is very vague. Can't figure out what his game is.

McEvoy will definitely be getting a vote from me. Grehan and the Sinn Fein lady most definitely won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Hand written note from Naoise was left in the door when we were out last night. That was really nice.

"Grehan and the Sinn Fein lady most definitely won't."

I presume you're talking about Martin Grehan (PBP) and Reada Cronin (S/F). I know for a fact that both of them have been out there for weeks, months even, relentlessly wearing out shoe-leather and vocal chords, spreading the word and asking people to 'Make the change happen'.

Just because you're not in doesn't mean they're not out to get you!.

I'm based in Kilcock, in an estate beside Chambers Park.

Teresa Murray was there on Monday evening. You must have missed her.

What's all this I hear about Naoise having a hissy-fit over on the Facebook regarding someone messing with his mug-shots?.

"Sure, isn't that what you do during elections!".[sic].

Tell me more..... including the word allegedly!!!

What's all this I hear about Naoise having a hissy-fit over on the Facebook regarding someone allegedly messing with his mug-shots?.

"Sure, isn't that what you do,(or say), during elections!".[sic].

Like I said.(with the word allegedly, of course.)

Like I said.(with the word allegedly, of course.)

What sort of alleged "modifications"???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Staplor wrote: »
    Hand written note from Naoise was left in the door when we were out last night. That was really nice.

Was he apologising for all the obnoxious parking in recent weeks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I thought that he was nice,his father called to our door canvassing and he was an absolute pet but unfortunately he is FF.
    I really found it hard to pick candidates today especially for Europe, I didn't think that there was one actual viable candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

"Grehan and the Sinn Fein lady most definitely won't."

I presume you're talking about Martin Grehan (PBP) and Reada Cronin (S/F). I know for a fact that both of them have been out there for weeks, months even, relentlessly wearing out shoe-leather and vocal chords, spreading the word and asking people to 'Make the change happen'.

Just because you're not in doesn't mean they're not out to get you!.

Even if PBP / SF were banging down my door 24/7, I still wouldn't vote for them. Their economic policies (or lack thereof) are either the stuff of fantasy or make for hilarious reading.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I thought that he was nice,his father called to our door canvassing and he was an absolute pet but unfortunately he is FF.
    I really found it hard to pick candidates today especially for Europe, I didn't think that there was one actual viable candidate.

His father was a pet? That's a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

1st tally is in...

Weld (FG) 1,684
    McEvoy (Ind) 1,600
    Cronin (SF) 1,253
    Murray (Ind) 931...
    McGinley (Lab) 904
    O Cearuil (FF) 893
    Ward (FF) 839
    Durkan (FG) 691
    Fitzpatrick (FF) 641
    Grehan (Ind) 609
    Langan (FG) 574
    Doyle (FF) 518
    MacNamara (Lab) 304
    McGuire (Ind) 240
    Gannon (Ind) 269

If my calculations are correct that'd suggest a huge number elected on count 1 (I'm getting a 747 quota for the tally); huge FG/McEvoy/SF transfers then as well as smaller FF/Murray/Labour ones. Be interesting to see where they all go - party transfers will be easy enough to guess but SF have no other candidate; does anyone know if there are any obvious patterns of support for McEvoy and Murray? Often votes stay in the same town.

I believe the Quota is 1200, and from FB Murray topped the poll in Maynooth itself

Quota is valid poll divided by (candidates +1); plus 1.

I'm getting a valid poll of 11950 off that, 15 candidates. I'll add up again.

I could be very wrong, that was according to KFM earlier

SQ2 wrote: »
    I could be very wrong, that was according to KFM earlier

So could I, its been a long time since my Junior Cert when we had to do quota calculations!

Ah, Quota calculated by valid poll divided by the seats + 1, not candidates

9 seats + 1 = 10
    11950 / 10 = 1195

:)

SQ2 wrote: »
    Ah, Quota calculated by valid poll divided by the seats + 1, not candidates

Yeah, I noticed that and then my re-post had the number of seats wrong also. Its too early in the "morning" :pac: for me to do this.

11950 / 10 = ~1200

• Advertisement

Anyway, that puts Weld/McEvoy/Cronin likely home safe and still leaves a significant FG/McGuire transfer pool as well as Cronin's which obviously can't go to another SF candidate as there isn't one.

Advertisement