Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to plant spuds?

• 05-05-2014 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondered is it too late to plant spuds, doing a person garden for them and they've a little bed they'd spuds in last year, some still there which I'll leave and pick early for them as baby potatoes mid June.
    Is it to late to plant more in the bed now, it's a nice sunny back garden.
    Anything else I could plant now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

abceire wrote: »
    Just wondered is it too late to plant spuds, doing a person garden for them and they've a little bed they'd spuds in last year, some still there which I'll leave and pick early for them as baby potatoes mid June.
    Is it to late to plant more in the bed now, it's a nice sunny back garden.
    Anything else I could plant now?

Plant away. Only concern is that those volunteers will shade out the new spuds. So maybe harvest the babies as soon as the new spuds show through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah now, ye should have planted the spuds on Good Friday.

Go ahead, they will be fine :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

looksee wrote: »

Go ahead, they will be fine :-)

I thought it was St. Patricks day!!

I just throw them in up untill june.. You should get a few cheap and well chitted in some of the hardware stores at the moment. I picked up a load in dunnes stores last year for a euro each and they turned out grand. Put down a bit of the fishbloodandbones fertiliser and they'll rocket up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

The ground is warm, they should be Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I thought the Paddy's Day rule was, don't prune roses until at least Paddy's day. That what I go by anyway.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies, sure isn't this a great old place for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Some people sow a few spuds in August for Christmas cropping. So that shows how late, in theory you can go.
    Earlier take about 12 weeks. Main crop about 18 - 20 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

You can plant potatoes while you can still see thru' the ash tree. To put in another way, if the ash tree isn't fully green, you can plant potatoes.
    Usually early to mid June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

looksee wrote: »
    In England, it's Good Friday.
    Armelodie wrote: »
    I thought it was St. Patricks day!!
    In Ireland, it's St. Patrick's Day.
    Neither of the traditions are related to horticulture. They're both related to practicalities of the time; both were the first springtime public holidays in those countries.

The roses one is because we don't get to bad a frost after Paddy's Day.

• Advertisement

About two weeks go, I chopped up a potato with eyes into 6 pieces, each piece with eye on it, and stuck them into a Jute Tesco shoppin bag, they are growing away fine, just checked them there,!! Im delighted!!

Those shopping bags are great for growing stuff in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

I use IKEA blue bags. 50c each to buy and each holds a full bag of compost. Last year in Feb I filled one third full and put 2 potatoes in and kept in polytunnel. Added another third when shoots came up and final third a few weeks later. Got loads of lovely potatoes from them.

Advertisement