Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What area would you go for?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm working at the moment which I'm thankful for but it really isn't where I want to be long term (money wise it isn't great).

So I'm looking at courses to do to give myself a better shot at getting a better job but I don't want to take on a course relating to an industry which is dead right now.

So basically I'm just wondering, is there actually any area or industry worth studying for...worth taking on a course for with genuine job prospects and money (long shot at this time I know but there has to be something out there doing well)... I'm looking at maybe becoming and actuary

Anyone any idea themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

An actuary is insane money. I know someone straight out of college earning about 50k a year with an investment company. But he works 8am to about 8 pm most nights, sometimes later with no lunch. Its insane hours, but its expected.

There will always be jobs in banking and funds. Its one industry that is expected to rapidly expand in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭LMK

You might consider giving Sales a try, industry independent if you have an aptitude for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What's software engineering like for graduates ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Which is your priority:

a) happiness
    b) bored, probably unhappy, "permanent and pensionable".

If it's (b), by all means chase the money. I recommend medicine, software development, actuary, accounting, senior management.

If it's (a), do something you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Tidy. Programmers are in demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tidy. Programmers are in demand.

Experienced developers are very much in demand, I understand there's a lot of competition for roles among graduates though.

Eoin wrote: »
    Experienced developers are very much in demand, I understand there's a lot of competition for roles among graduates though.

There is definitely jobs for everyone with a 2.1 in the country anyway. Everyone I know who graduated last year with a computer engineering degree was sorted by the following September.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is definitely jobs for everyone with a 2.1 in the country anyway. Everyone I know who graduated last year with a computer engineering degree was sorted by the following September.

That's good to hear, a lot of people seem to complain that it's hard to get the job with no experience.

Anyway, my stock answer applies - don't get into IT unless you've an interest (or at least think you might find it interesting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Whats a 2.1 degree

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

IT is a kind of a funny industry, in that you are already expected to have done a lot even when starting out as a graduate. If you have no background in IT already and just do the degree work, then you will struggle to land a position as most other applicants will have experience to show, mainly in the form of stuff they did at home and at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would advise people to stay away from IT unless they like it.

I've worked in IT in various roles since 1996 and amongst my colleagues it's obvious who liked IT (they're happy) and who disliked IT (they're unhappy).

It just doesn't make sense to me. You spend most of your life working. Why choose to be unhappy? It's so weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Which is your priority:

a) happiness
    b) bored, probably unhappy, "permanent and pensionable".

If it's (b), by all means chase the money. I recommend medicine, software development, actuary, accounting, senior management.

If it's (a), do something you enjoy.

It's extremely possible to enjoy and be happy at jobs that pay very well. You make it sound like there's some contradiction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

FURET wrote: »
    It's extremely possible to enjoy and be happy at jobs that pay very well. You make it sound like there's some contradiction there.

https://careers.rationalgroup.com/irecruit/home.aspx

FURET wrote: »

Obviously it is possible to be happy in a job which pays well. That is what I am advising people to do.

If you read the first post you will see the context of this thread is seeking a job which pays well. It's not seeking a job which will make me happy and pay well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Obviously it is possible to be happy in a job which pays well. That is what I am advising people to do.

If you read the first post you will see the context of this thread is seeking a job which pays well. It's not seeking a job which will make me happy and pay well.

Fair enough, it seems I misinterpreted your post as "bored, probably unhappy" = accounting, medicine, software, etc.

There's far too much rubbish being preached in schools about doing "what you like". Fair enough for some people but there is a compromise that has to be reached. If an extremely capable student who enjoys maths and physics just happens to be an excellent guitar player you don't tell him to go and do a worthless 3 year music degree because he'll be happy. Like everything in life you have to weigh your options and it's a risk vs reward scenario. At 17/18 it's highly unlikely you know what you actually like anyway so in my humble opinion you're better off doing a useful degree which you like as opposed to chasing what is almost definitely a non existent dream job. You can then branch out into your specified field once you get some experience under your belt. When you realize how that dream job that would "make you happy" actually works in the industry and real world you may want to reconsider.

There's far too much rubbish being preached in schools about doing "what you like". Fair enough for some people but there is a compromise that has to be reached. If an extremely capable student who enjoys maths and physics just happens to be an excellent guitar player you don't tell him to go and do a worthless 3 year music degree because he'll be happy. Like everything in life you have to weigh your options and it's a risk vs reward scenario. At 17/18 it's highly unlikely you know what you actually like anyway so in my humble opinion you're better off doing a useful degree which you like as opposed to chasing what is almost definitely a non existent dream job. You can then branch out into your specified field once you get some experience under your belt. When you realize how that dream job that would "make you happy" actually works in the industry and real world you may want to reconsider.

The problem is it's very hard to change career or branch out once you've started on a certain path.

For example, IT is full of people who hate their job. They did their IT degree, they stuck with their job for a few years, now they're in the late 20s. It's very hard to change direction at that stage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 blackbaron

There's far too much rubbish being preached in schools about doing "what you like"

You've about 70 good years on this earth, significantly less where you're totally at the driving wheel of your own decisions. After that, you're burned or stuck into the ground and everything you've done with your life will be forgotten about very rapidly. If you spend those years doing something you're not happy doing, the effects will be harshly felt outside the workplace and will seep into your relationships and everything else in life you try to derive happiness from.

Doing what you like with your life, so long as you can support yourself and not inflict harm on others in doing so, is what everyone should be concerned with. Making mistakes is all part of the learning process. Telling children they should do X because X will lead them to a job, any f-ing job, is setting them up for misery.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If an extremely capable student who enjoys maths and physics just happens to be an excellent guitar player you don't tell him to go and do a worthless 3 year music degree because he'll be happy. Like everything in life you have to weigh your options and it's a risk vs reward scenario. At 17/18 it's highly unlikely you know what you actually like anyway so in my humble opinion you're better off doing a useful degree which you like as opposed to chasing what is almost definitely a non existent dream job.

To tell some one to compromise on their dreams before they even give it a try... That must be soul destroying for any 17 or 18 year old espically if it comes from a parent! We have no idea how it will turn out for them and to act as if we know what is right for them just plain arrogant!

The thing is my son has a very high IQ as a result of having Aspergers and yes he is very good at math and physics. But he also has a passion for music, he plays in the school band, loves giving concerts and has even been given some financial aid to persue it in grammer school. If he decides to persue that in college in two years time, then I'll be his number one supporter just the same as if he decides to do any other degree.

The idea that I should act in anyway that would prevent him from giving it a go, is beyond me!

Advertisement