Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Basically my laptop is fcuked. Physically, that is, both the hinges are now broken, and it is almost impossible to use properly.

I almost certainly need to replace it in the near future, but it looks (to my uneducated eyes) as if the problem is probably easy enough to fix by someone who knows what they're doing.

Anyone know where I might be able to get it fixed and how much it may cost? Not going to get it fixed if it would be almost cheaper to just buy a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

how old is this laptop ? I don't know if people can buy hinges separately to the screen I doubt it. I have seen people replace screens for anything up to 150 if it is a HD screen, you can get very cheap laptops now for about 300 euro I would go for that instead if you are looking to replace anyways

http://www.pcworld.ie/PRODUCT/acer-c720-wifi-chromebook-ash/316766/104.2

I have used the Chrome OS and these things are much faster than expected for the price, and presuming you aren't in computer science or anything, or engineering, it'll likely (definitely) handle everything you could be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's possible to buy the cover/hinge assembly separately for most brands. Swapping it is a bit fiddly but not that hard if you're handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

how old is this laptop ? I don't know if people can buy hinges separately to the screen I doubt it. I have seen people replace screens for anything up to 150 if it is a HD screen, you can get very cheap laptops now for about 300 euro I would go for that instead if you are looking to replace anyways

http://www.pcworld.ie/PRODUCT/acer-c720-wifi-chromebook-ash/316766/104.2

I have used the Chrome OS and these things are much faster than expected for the price, and presuming you aren't in computer science or anything, or engineering, it'll likely (definitely) handle everything you could be using it for.

I've had it about 2.5 years now, it's not exactly new, but at the same time, it's running pretty smoothly. It's a HP and I know a lot of people who have this laptop have had problems with it, but mine is fine bar the physical side of things which is annoying :/

And I like to have the option of running games so a Chromebook would have to be out. If I was buying a new laptop, I'd probably get one with a significantly large hard drive- at least 750 GB, it's quite irritating not having enough space.

Chimaera wrote: »
    It's possible to buy the cover/hinge assembly separately for most brands. Swapping it is a bit fiddly but not that hard if you're handy.

I'm not handy though :P

But at least there is that option, do you know much it is generally? (I'm going to google it immediately after I post this anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If someone knows what they're doing it's about an hour's work, so bet on €40-50 for labour. Then it's down to whatever the parts cost. At the least, you're looking at the back cover/hinge assembly, possibly the bezel around the screen too. Some models, the hinges can be bought separately to the back cover, so you might just have to replace those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

I changed the hinges on my Fiancée's laptop a while ago (also a HP).

Got the cheap hinges off of Ebay and the quality seems fine, a little bit tricky to fit them but if you have a screwdriver and about an hour (or two) it can be done by most I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cheers everybody, I'll give it a go.

Advertisement