Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another taxation question

• 05-05-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have searched hi and low on all the threads but seems to just have a lot of conflicting replies.
    I am thinking about buying a Nissan Navara crewcab. I do NOT have a VAT number, a herd number or a business. I know you can just use your PPS number and get a form signed by guards stating that you will only use it for commercial uses but in my case I plan on using it privately only.

Do I tax it privately or tax it commercially?
    If commercial I would need to get an annual CVRT (Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Test) certificate which I understand.
    Now the bit I'm confused about is if I were to tax it privately does it get an NCT (National Car Test) or the CVRT?
    If it gets the CVRT test as a goods/commercial vehicle would that not certify it to get the goods/commercial tax rate.

I have no problem paying the private motor insurance and the private motor tax for it. As it would be taxed and insured privately (NOT a commercial vehicle, the same as any private car on the road) would this be eligible for an NCT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's tested on the basis of what it is, not on how it's taxed. It needs a DOE test even if privately taxed and it doesn't entitle you to commercial tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

101sean wrote: »
    It's tested on the basis of what it is, not on how it's taxed. It needs a DOE test even if privately taxed and it doesn't entitle you to commercial tax.

I assume you're the person in the know about this type of thing, so excuse my ignorance. But if tested commercially could this not be taxed commercially?
    Is this a bit of a grey area at all and could it be challenged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

dunner515 wrote: »
    I assume you're the person in the know about this type of thing, so excuse my ignorance. But if tested commercially could this not be taxed commercially?
    Is this a bit of a grey area at all and could it be challenged?

It is a commercial vehicle, so it must be tested as a commercial vehicle.

However, as you are not using it for commercial purposes, you are not entitled to a commercial tax rate for the vehicle, so you have to tax it on the private rate. The test regulations and the tax regulations are not connected now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi,
    Did the vehicle you're buying had a previous owner ? If so just renew the commercial tax, you will get the tax renewal details automatically when the change of ownership forms etc. are processed when the tax is due....unless the procedures have changed recently.

M.

Advertisement