Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient Cabling in-house

Options
  • 05-05-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just bought a new house that's being re-furbed, late 80s vintage. One of the things about it is all the in-house cabling is original TE stuff (the Telecom Eireann logo on the plug sockets is a blast from the past).

I've signed up for BB max, and am getting about 6Mb. I can't help but wonder if there's more to be squeezed out of it by upgrading any of the cabling inside the house. Do Eircom do this? Specifically if there's ancient termination points do they get refreshed ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Howdy,

Just bought a new house that's being re-furbed, late 80s vintage. One of the things about it is all the in-house cabling is original TE stuff (the Telecom Eireann logo on the plug sockets is a blast from the past).

I've signed up for BB max, and am getting about 6Mb. I can't help but wonder if there's more to be squeezed out of it by upgrading any of the cabling inside the house. Do Eircom do this? Specifically if there's ancient termination points do they get refreshed ever?

Hi gerrowadat

There is no such service that eircom offer to update internal cabling but a local electrician would be able to arrange this easily enough.
     The speeds really depend on the line externally and the only way the internal cabling can have an impact on speeds is that of a negative effect caused by line interference. If line interference exists we would be able to identify this for you so if you want to PM me your landline number or contact technical support on 1890260260 we would be able to check if it's having any sort of adverse effect.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

a bad connection in one of the eircom/standard phone points would seriously hamper speed... although you never said what package you're on...

But get someone to look at them...

if your speed should be 8, or 12, and it fluctuates, it could be a dodgy connection...

be no harm to have a look and put new terminations in the sockets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi gerrowadat

I have not received a PM from you yet, feel free to do so as I can check if the connection is creating any issues.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement