Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating and Outsourcing Reference Books

Options
  • 05-05-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of starting up a software business for global enterprise and I am looking for some strong "to the point" books on Negotiation (Fee negotiation)
    and books on providing outsourcing services. I have read some books in the past e.g. negotiating getting to yes, and although I learned from these books I found it very dragged out and academic. I'm looking for something that gives a concise non loaded insight into the above topics! Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You are not going to find that in a book. 'Global enterprise' has been negotiating for decades, eats small guys for breakfast and then spits out what (if anything) is left. They are most unlikely to deal with you as a start-up. But if you have notions of trying, you MUST know your margin structure, your costs, your limitations and your supply constraints. Beware any punitive / negative actions against you in any proposed contract. Know your pricing UP, DOWN, IN & OUT. Know what is your minimum. If it is below that, walk. Look at dates & deadlines - are they too short for you? If so, walk. Do NOT be lulled into a sense of 'we will be able to do it' - because it will finish you.
    Bigger companies will respect you if you say 'I cannot meet those requirements, they are too onerous' and will talk to you again. BS them and they will bury you, and see that you are buried also in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It seems to me that you are looking for a good book on understanding and learning selling skills. Call it fee negotiation or whatever you like, the basic skill set and process remain the same. Selling is not an art, despite what some may contend, it is a structured sequential process that requires you to conduct the process in a particular order. There are a set of wrinkles that you need to understand when it comes to the more tricky aspects such as overcoming objections, knowing when to/ how to close the sale.
    "Selling, the no-nonsense guide" by James Farrell is a good Irish published book available from irishbooksdirect.ie for €6 delivered and covers the fundamental very well in plain English. I actually just got a copy, its on my desk, to give to a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Outsourcing means lots of different things in different sectors. Most services provided to business could be described as outsourced.
    You have an offering in software/software services. Be very clear as to what it is you are offering, the market will quickly tell you whether it is of interest or not. Within your capability, you may well be able to offer some added level of customization to suit particular customer demands. Be prepared to modify your offering to meet market needs/opportunities, these will become apparent as you move through the proper sales process. It is 99.99% common sense, which is sadly not that common!

Advertisement