Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting tress on public land

• 05-05-2014 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering does anyone know what the laws are regarding planting trees on public land?

Assuming that it's not a lawn, playing surface, would block light to people's houses or may crack pavement etc; is it okay to plant a tree on a public green space?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No, you do not own the land so you have no right to plant on it. If it is council land contact them and get permission otherwise you are liable if anyone is injuried by the trees (eg they climbed them and fell, the tree got knocked down by the wind on them etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭highdef

If you are in a quiet area, you could plant the tree or trees at night time when nobody is around and then hope that the trees last out. Most importantly, don't tell any of your neighbours that you planted them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Be grand unless you start planting some big massive yoke or unless its in one of those D4 green leafy areas where the council are out every weekend with the nail clippers cutting grass nobody gives a damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Various people (including me) have put shrubs and trees all over our estate over the 40 years it has been built and no-one has complained! In fact it is hugely improved. I would think it would depend on the circumstances though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

highdef wrote: »
    If you are in a quiet area, you could plant the tree or trees at night time when nobody is around and then hope that the trees last out. Most importantly, don't tell any of your neighbours that you planted them. :D

Yeah this is what I was thinking of doing! A lot of trees have been blown down over the years in the local park and the council doesn't seem to be replanting any new trees in their place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Plant the trees as you see fit.ignore the moronic insurance claims on here...try plant native species tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It's a practice that hasn't really caught on in Ireland but is common in the UK. It's known as "guerrilla gardening".
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=guerrilla+gardening&oq=geurilla+garde&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.3739j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

There was a well publicisied case of this a few years ago at an unopened Luas/train stop close to a ghost housing estate. It was a very upmarket form of "guerrilla gardening", with semi-mature trees being donated by garden centres, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

There's a fairly impressive "forest" growing on the now-derelict site of the Royal oak pub in Finglas.

The site was supposed to be turned into apartments but it fell through and various fast-growing trees have colonised the site...many of them are taller than the hoarding sorrounding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

in my day guerrilla gardening was more chucking seeds about :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    in my day guerrilla gardening was more chucking seeds about :D

In my day there was plenty of trees so you wouldn't bother planting anymore. Now every usable scrap of land that the council hasn't bought for an astronomical sum off the local Fianna Failing farmer has been put to use. It's a tough ould life for trees these days. Hedge rows being got rid of to free up precious square inches, oaks and other slow growing trees being replaced with sh1tty spruce and pine as a cash crop. These days by horsing a few trees into the few remaining uncultivated square inches of land you're doing the world a favour

• Advertisement

So I'm thinking of planting Oak and Ash in the larger spaces and maybe hawthorn or rowan (are they native?) In the smaller spaces...I'm a complete newbie at this so any other suggestions are welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I know of a case where the council planted 3 4ft shrubs across the road from a house. A complaint was made that they were obscuring the view(3 acre field with 2 year old unploughed corn stubble.). 2days later council returned and they were removed. Today the view is a massive heap of spoil from a road repair job. No fear council will shift that. Those shrubs would have grown quite a bit in 3 yrs and would be nicer than looking at a heap of earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honestly OP it does depend on the circumstances. Is the area being mowed? Is it overlooked by other people? Are there any services running through the area? You kind of give the impression you are planting a forest, you may be in a minority of one thinking that that kind of planting is a good idea there!

looksee wrote: »
    Honestly OP it does depend on the circumstances. Is the area being mowed? Is it overlooked by other people? Are there any services running through the area? You kind of give the impression you are planting a forest, you may be in a minority of one thinking that that kind of planting is a good idea there!

Yeah it's being mowed but that's it - if it would block a view or anything like that I wouldn't plant them.

Haha it won't be a forest either, just a couple of trees here and there; I'd be planting in areas that already have trees but where there's a green patch that could sustain another tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

White thorn have an amazing smell from their flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

As an aside to this, where would one get native trees to plant?
    Been thinking of planting a few on my Dads land as a lot have blown or been cut down over the years?

paulbok wrote: »
    As an aside to this, where would one get native trees to plant?

I've noticed that anywhere that has a lot of horse Chestnuts (conker trees) now have a lot of the nuts sprouting and seedlings growing from last autumn.

You can simply pull them up as they usually wont survive being crowded by the older trees.

The same also applies to sycamores.

As for willow,take any length cutting and stick it in the ground...it will grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm looking for something more established, won't be able to tend to really small saplings.

deise08 wrote: »
    White thorn have an amazing smell from their flowers.
    but a bit thorny for a public space, potentially with kids with eyes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I know of a case where the council planted 3 4ft shrubs across the road from a house. A complaint was made that they were obscuring the view(3 acre field with 2 year old unploughed corn stubble.). 2days later council returned and they were removed. Today the view is a massive heap of spoil from a road repair job. No fear council will shift that. Those shrubs would have grown quite a bit in 3 yrs and would be nicer than looking at a heap of earth.
    There is no right to a view in Irish law.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    I've noticed that anywhere that has a lot of horse Chestnuts (conker trees) now have a lot of the nuts sprouting and seedlings growing from last autumn.

The same also applies to sycamores.

Not to be pedantic or anything but neither of those trees are native to Ireland! :)

paulbok wrote: »
    I'm looking for something more established, won't be able to tend to really small saplings.

Wait till October so. Plant something that is basically a weed, like hawthorn. You can move a few from elsewhere like your local undeveloped Celtic Tiger plot of land. So you won't be disappointed if they do get mowed down.

Not to be pedantic or anything but neither of those trees are native to Ireland! :)

Meh.. They're deciduous and that's enough for me :)

Spotted this bit of (hard-core apple :D)guerrilla gardening on the way home:

306691.JPG

Advertisement