Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to change graphics card

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So afteer reading about my problem, i have at least established that my graphics card is not working. Getting red dots and green lines on screen. If i do not go into safe mode, then the system just goes into a bsod loop.

Anyway, i have dell dimension 9150 with nvidea geforce 7900 gs.
    Can someone tell me a suitable card to pick up as replacement? I dont use the machine much but because its at back of house and its quiet there, sometimes i go there to read news online etc so no need for a super card, just something to browse internet etc.

Thanks
    Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This would be fine.

If you look on adverts.ie, you will get an old pci-e card for about a tenner that would also be fine. Example here - only €7 and it would be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for that Terror. Appreciate it.
    I actually found a seller on adverts from wexford who had exactly my same card, got it this morning from them in post. Put it in tonight, fan on it is spinning but no response on the monitor, as in monitor is not even detecting a signal, nothing. Nothing on either dvi slot.
    I take it that the card isn't working ya? It should work as a straight swap yeah?
    Put back in my own broken one and could get in again on safe mode but most importantly, the screen detected it was there at least whereas the one that came in post - nothing at all happening on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Surround Gamer

Anyway that you could use the onboard video, or does the PC not have that option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Doesn't have that option.
    I should try to close this thread.
    A friend of mine had a handy PCI-E card that he just gave me and it worked grand.
    Only 256MB but I don't need it for anything special. Thanks for your help folks!

Advertisement