Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Mashing!

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I decided go over to partial mashing to make a Hefezweizen (a Weihenstephaner Vitus clone) and it wasn't as hard as I thought. Took a fair amount of time, nearly 2 hours longer than normal extract due to prep etc. Had to cut a few corners as I just didn't have the pots to boil 10 liters in one go, so I mashed and sparged the grains, stuck it in the fermenter, then boiled up the extract and hops for 60 mins and added that to the fermenter. Not the usual practice I know, but needs must. I'd get a bigger pot but with a baby on the way in a 1 bed apartment it's on a very low priority.

Has anyone else switched over and if so do you have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

You're probably better off boiling the wort you get from the partial mash and adding the extract at the end. Boiling the wort is necessary to remove some off flavours. It also causes the protein to form into break material which can settle out of the final beer.
    The extract has already been boiled so it really only needs to be dissolved in hot water to sanitise it and help it mix properly.

That said, I'm sure your brew will be fine. My other tips are to measure the height of your oven and the width of your sink. These measurements set the maximum size of a pot you can buy (assuming you mash in your oven and chill in the sink, everyone has a slightly different system).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

John_C wrote: »
    You're probably better off boiling the wort you get from the partial mash and adding the extract at the end. Boiling the wort is necessary to remove some off flavours. It also causes the protein to form into break material which can settle out of the final beer.
    The extract has already been boiled so it really only needs to be dissolved in hot water to sanitise it and help it mix properly.

Yeah, it just struck me that I should've boiled the extract with the wort. Next time I'll get a bigger pot. Oh well, we live and learn.

Also just learned that the whole 'releasing tannins by squeezing the bag' thing is a myth. Good to know as next time I'll get more precious wort.

Advertisement