Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alterations needed...recommendations?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi, I need to have a pair of jeans taking up. Does anyone have a place they would recommend? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 voenhenry

There's one at Goatstown Road, Dublin 14 opposite The Goat pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ClubDead wrote: »
    Hi, I need to have a pair of jeans taking up. Does anyone have a place they would recommend? thanks

There's a Zipyard on Blanchardstown Main Street, the chain generally gets good reviews. I used to go to someone in Dunshaughlin but she's taking a few years out so I'll have to find someone more local again and Zipyard looks like the best option.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

voenhenry wrote: »
    There's one at Goatstown Road, Dublin 14 opposite The Goat pub.

I'm guessing the OP is looking for somewhere a little closer to D15. :)

I've used both the cleaners in Clonsilla village (beside Host) and the cleaners in the Blanch Centre beside the yellow entrance and have had no complaints with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Brilliant thanks :)

athtrasna wrote: »
    There's a Zipyard on Blanchardstown Main Street, the chain generally gets good reviews. I used to go to someone in Dunshaughlin but she's taking a few years out so I'll have to find someone more local again and Zipyard looks like the best option.

Can't picture where it is...is it near Superquinn/supervalue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BanterZone

Can't picture where it is...is it near Superquinn/supervalue?

It's down the end towards The Bell, right across the road from Abrakebabra. I'd recommend it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The Zipyard is ridiculously expensive. I had 2 of the same dresses bought at different times and needed the split at the back sewn up. Stitches and seams on Church Ave cost €3 and less than 2 minutes work. When I went to the Zipyard on a saturday (stitches and seams were closed) they initially wanted to charge €20 :eek: then brought it down to €12.50 and asked me to come back the following Tuesday. I got it that day after insisting.

I won't be going back to the Zipyard anytime soon.

anniehoo wrote: »
    The Zipyard is ridiculously expensive. I had 2 of the same dresses bought at different times and needed the split at the back sewn up. Stitches and seams on Church Ave cost €3 and less than 2 minutes work. When I went to the Zipyard on a saturday (stitches and seams were closed) they initially wanted to charge €20 :eek: then brought it down to €12.50 and asked me to come back the following Tuesday. I got it that day after insisting.

I won't be going back to the Zipyard anytime soon.

Wow ok, I guesstimated that it might cost about 15-20euro but it will probably be a lot more....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wow ok, I guesstimated that it might cost about 15-20euro but it will probably be a lot more....

Stitches and seams is literally only around the corner from it so definitely go there first imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

anniehoo wrote: »
    The Zipyard is ridiculously expensive.

Having used their outlet on St. Anne St in the city, I concur. Thankfully, there are plenty of cheaper options around town but closer to home, I've used Stitches and Seams and they do good work. Theres a dry cleaners in the Blanch centre that also carry out alterations, the other half receommends them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I use a place in the 17 shops in Cabra, it's up the stairs beside the bakery. Bit far out but they're really reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I use a place in the 17 shops in Cabra, it's up the stairs beside the bakery. Bit far out but they're really reasonable.

Scissor sisters in Coolmine industrial estate are excellent.. Had trouble with a zip recently I got done in seams and stitches and it appears it was put on all wrong.. Have done several things in scissor sisters been happy and it's reasonable . They text u when it's ready which I like

Went to Stitches and Seams on Church Avu. and I couldn't be happier with the work. Took up the jeans and put on a new zipper in one day for 25euro. They would had done it sooner for no additional fee if I'd needed them sooner. Thanks for the replies everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Irishbar

OP my advice, do not go near the ZipYard on main street blanch....completely ruined a brand new pair of €90 jeans and took them up at least 3inches shorter than they should have been.
    Its actually funny to see how bad they were done...3/4 lengths.
    Manageress was rude and completely dismissed my complaints and absolved herself of any responsibility.

Seams and Stitches on Church Ave just up from Blanch church do a great job...dropped my replacement pair in at 10 yesterday morning and they had them ready for 4pm and done perfect!

Based on this thread I went to stitches and seams to alter an evening dress last week. Biggest mistake I've made in a long time. They charged me €45 and left me with an unwearable dress for a special occasion. Will be calling them when I get my voice back but fuming and heartbroken.

Wow that’s dreadful. Did they have you try it on and pin it where the alteration was needed? I’ve only had one alteration done by them and it was a basic hem take up. Definitely go back to them and let us know how they deal with your complaint.

Wow that’s dreadful. Did they have you try it on and pin it where the alteration was needed? I’ve only had one alteration done by them and it was a basic hem take up. Definitely go back to them and let us know how they deal with your complaint.

Tried it on and the woman pinned it . Collected it Thursday was just given the dress and not given an opportunity to try it on again. Got to black tie event put dress on and it wouldn't close. Because of the way they'd shortened it the closure moved from my waist to my ribs. My waist is narrower than my ribs. Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

would you recommend any of these places for a wedding dress?

would you recommend any of these places for a wedding dress?

Not Seams & Stitches anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think there is one down just past the church just off blanchardstown village, if you walk down past the church its on one of the cottages on the left.

I could be wrong it could be gone!

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    I think there is one down just past the church just off blanchardstown village, if you walk down past the church its on one of the cottages on the left.

I could be wrong it could be gone!

That's the place that ruined my dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

athtrasna wrote: »
    That's the place that ruined my dress!

How did they respond to your complaint?

How did they respond to your complaint?

Still not resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

I might pop into Scissor Sisters in Coolmine and see how they are. Anyone else have experience with them?

Advertisement