Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDL broadband very slow - need assistance please

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I signed up to a 8MB internet connection package last august. 

Since then I have had decent speeds, well early in the morning or late at night but not in the evenings. 

But in recent weeks it has become very slow. I even changed my router thinking that was the cause.
    My 2 laptops and PC are all giving the exact same speedtest results. 

Its so slow i have to wait for a period of time before it loads a youtube video for watching. 

As an eircom customer can I get some help please and ensure that I get decent download speeds as I know my connection is able to do it and nothing has changed since the times it was fast. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Backfire wrote: »
    I signed up to a 8MB internet connection package last august. 

Since then I have had decent speeds, well early in the morning or late at night but not in the evenings. 

But in recent weeks it has become very slow. I even changed my router thinking that was the cause.
    My 2 laptops and PC are all giving the exact same speedtest results. 

Its so slow i have to wait for a period of time before it loads a youtube video for watching. 

As an eircom customer can I get some help please and ensure that I get decent download speeds as I know my connection is able to do it and nothing has changed since the times it was fast. 
    Similar problem here. 

My connection has been fine for years, it's not fast and never has been in comparison to what others get but for my area it's good and does the job, allows me to stream my sports etc. However, over the past few days I have been unable to stream anything, SkyGo is constantly buffering even on the lowest setting and after testing other streaming sites and trying to download things the speed is terrible on them all. 

I can generally browse the internet on Boards, Facebook etc and it is fine, but as said above watching videos etc is unbearable. I also have tried numerous computers, iPad's, restarted and rebooted the router etc but have had no luck.

There's quite a few people having the same issue over on the broadband forum and we're all in different parts of the country so it seems to be a general Eircom issue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Have been having similar problems this weekend. Normally get 17mb most times but for last day or two lucky to struggle to 2mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi there,

I would advise to contact our Tech support team on 1890 260 260 and they should be able to help you with this.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

In Clonmel and having the exact same issue. Usually we get about 8 Mbps, but for the past week or so, it seems like the speed is capped at 0.6 Mbps...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Hi there,

I would advise to contact our Tech support team on 1890 260 260 and they should be able to help you with this.

Tony
    What are the working hours for this number? Or is it 24hrs?!

can anything by done or my line checked if I PM you my telephone number? Must I be on the phone to get help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

im also suffering with 0.4-0.6 mb/s, only started last week???

quite alot of reports with exact same issue, tried contacting broadband support, currently on hold with last 25mins(edit:50mins) and counting!!!

Could some light be shed on the issue?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    im also suffering with 0.4-0.6 mb/s, only started last week???

quite alot of reports with exact same issue, tried contacting broadband support, currently on hold with last 25mins(edit:50mins) and counting!!!

Could some light be shed on the issue?
    I rang too but hung up after 15mins. This is a disgrace. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

i finally got through after about an hour on hold!!!

i was asked to perform a speed test and my results were recorded and will be passed on, 0.46mb/s download speed!!!

they have had a few (from what i have read both on boards and eircoms own forum...Lots) calls but have heard nothing official to relay to customers.

in fairness, mine is only playing up with the last week or so, the you tube buffering is the final straw.

either way... was told if its not sorted i'll jump ship! after all my payments are always constant so my speeds should match!!

phobia2011 wrote: »
    i finally got through after about an hour on hold!!!

i was asked to perform a speed test and my results were recorded and will be passed on, 0.46mb/s download speed!!!

they have had a few (from what i have read both on boards and eircoms own forum...Lots) calls but have heard nothing official to relay to customers.

in fairness, mine is only playing up with the last week or so, the you tube buffering is the final straw.

either way... was told if its not sorted i'll jump ship! after all my payments are always constant so my speeds should match!!
    Your right. 

My download speeds are horrendous.  Tonight its around 20kb/sec! Dial-up is 5kb/sec!!

Are eircom deliberately doing this? The physical lines have not changed. Unless they keep putting more and more people onto congested ASDL lines. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Same issues here with the past week. All we're missing is the old dial up sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

dmc17 wrote: »
    Same issues here with the past week. All we're missing is the old dial up sound.

This thread should give them plenty of reports
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057203464/1

Wonder if it's just coincidence that Vodafone are ringing all it's mobile users offering broadband deals at the moment :-)

mike2084 wrote: »

Wonder if it's just coincidence that Vodafone are ringing all it's mobile users offering broadband deals at the moment :-)

I got a phone call from vodafone too today. But i cannot switch yet as i signed a 12mth contract with eircom when i upgraded to the 8mb package. That was last september. Back then, the line was very good. Past month or more it had been getting worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

mike2084 wrote: »

I got a phone call from vodafone too today. But i cannot switch yet as i signed a 12mth contract with eircom when i upgraded to the 8mb package. That was last september. Back then, the line was very good. Past month or more it had been getting worse and worse.
    I'd imagine the contract you signed was for actual broadband though. If they're not fulfilling their end of the deal then why should you have to suffer.

The past 2 days I have also being having the problem of having no internet connection at all at times, the dsl light is green on the router but the light for the internet turns red. Stays like that for ages. And then randomly turns green again. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

The past 2 days I have also being having the problem of having no internet connection at all at times, the dsl light is green on the router but the light for the internet turns red. Stays like that for ages. And then randomly turns green again. 
    Guys I can see from numerous post here and on eircom forum that the reports of slow speeds from last week seems to have been resolved.
    If you continue to experience slower than normal speeds you should perform the basic troubleshooting steps here
    If this does not help you will have to contact our tech support team on 1890260260 and report your issue. You should receive a fault ref number and if you PM this number to us we can follow up on your case and advise of status.
    Tony

Guys I can see from numerous post here and on eircom forum that the reports of slow speeds from last week seems to have been resolved.
    If you continue to experience slower than normal speeds you should perform the basic troubleshooting steps here
    If this does not help you will have to contact our tech support team on 1890260260 and report your issue. You should receive a fault ref number and if you PM this number to us we can follow up on your case and advise of status.
    Tony
    No change for me. Still getting red light on router on and off and very slow download speeds. 

Downloading at 20kb/sec to 30kb/sec last night. 

Woke up this morning and red light on router. Turned router off and back on after 5mins, green light back on and working but still slow internet. 

Is my router my problem?! Its relatively new, only got it last october when my original motorola netopia router gave up. My current router is a netgear one. 

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

tech support haven't an iota how to solve this...

every evening without fail from 6pm - 12am, 7 days a week.. my speeds would drop below 2, almost to a crawl... i should have been getting 17mb, out of 24mb.
    engineers call out, issue gets escalated... 

nothing was ever resolved...

fibre was installed on Friday... engineers said the exchanges are overloaded and infrastructure is poor... causes huge issues... 

so now... since having fibre... download speed is capped at 15mb... #fail!

was getting 17-18, on the old 24mb package before issues or fibre came along!!

wtf is going on! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Tony
    No change for me. Still getting red light on router on and off and very slow download speeds. 

Downloading at 20kb/sec to 30kb/sec last night. 

Woke up this morning and red light on router. Turned router off and back on after 5mins, green light back on and working but still slow internet. 

Is my router my problem?! Its relatively new, only got it last october when my original motorola netopia router gave up. My current router is a netgear one. 

Hi Backfire

This sounds like a deeper issue on your line to be honest, do you want to PM me your number and I'll sun some tests?

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

Having same problem I'm with utv only started to happen last weekend settings not right it's across all isp looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

INFODAD wrote: »
    Having same problem I'm with utv only started to happen last weekend settings not right it's across all isp looks like
    Hi INFODAD

UTV is not available with evision however if you are experiencing issues with any channels It would be best to contact evision support on 1890260260 to make sure you have the correct settings applied.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement