Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet ski clubs in Howth?

• 06-05-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Good eveeening.

Just curious as I'll be jet ski soon and using it primarily in Howth; are there any clubs whom I could join so I won't be on my own out there for safety reasons?

Also where's the best place to buy a jet ski apart from Donedeal & Adverts (second hand of course)

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

My god, forgot about that thread :o How in gods name did you remember about that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One small piece of advice I'd give you as a sailor, is to get to know when all of the different races are on in Howth, where the start lines and courses are if possible, and try not to get in the way.

It's one thing you on a jet ski getting caught amongst a pile of cruisers, but you could potentially capsize dinghy sailors shooting past them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you any knowledge of the sea?

I would be using the ski well away from other people don't worry. @Ted reasonable amount, why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rob2593 wrote: »
    I would be using the ski well away from other people don't worry. @Ted reasonable amount, why?

your idea of well away and sail boat racing in light winds idea of well away might be two totally different things.

@Tabnabs I thought Howth was one of the few places Jetskis were allowed? You're allowed launch them via the slip beside the yaught club though right? It's not marked out on that map?

@Neris As mentioned in my previous thread, I know the stereotype that accompanies jetski users so I'd appreciate if you had a bit of respect and stayed away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Rob2593 wrote: »
    @Neris As mentioned in my previous thread, I know the stereotype that accompanies jetski users so I'd appreciate if you had a bit of respect and stayed away from them.

To be fair to neris, he's making a valid point. What looks like far away can still cause chaos for a bunch of light boats in light winds. Unless you've been that dinghy getting tossed about by the wake of a jetski that's 100s of meters away, it's very hard to appreciate just how far away is too close in certain conditions. Everyone here has been nothing but nice to you. You haven't mentioned any other aquatic background so the advice being given is given with the assumption that you're a relatively novice water-user. If you have lots of aquatic background and are aware of how far a wake can travel in near-calm conditions and the effect it can have on small boats, all you had to do was say so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

To be fair to neris, he's making a valid point. What looks like far away can still cause chaos for a bunch of light boats in light winds. Unless you've been that dinghy getting tossed about by the wake of a jetski that's 100s of meters away, it's very hard to appreciate just how far away is too close in certain conditions. Everyone here has been nothing but nice to you. You haven't mentioned any other aquatic background so the advice being given is given with the assumption that you're a relatively novice water-user. If you have lots of aquatic background and are aware of how far a wake can travel in near-calm conditions and the effect it can have on small boats, all you had to do was say so.

This.

I was coming in in light winds on a cruiser last year which was a 29 footer, approaching the harbour and there was a jetski going nuts at Irelands eye, and the wake washed over us, we were watching it and basing when we would take down the mainsail on where it was so as not to hurt the crew if it came nearer

There were also those people who do paddling, dinghy boats etc, all of which would have felt far more of an impact.

Also you will be under motor power, you have to give way to boats under sail power at all times, and that includes reasonable distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

exactly what i was implying when i asked had he any knowledge of the sea

I am aware of the wake caused by jetskis and can assure you mine won't be used like some of the nutjobs use theirs out there and will certainly be keeping my distance.

I have done several sailing courses myself and am fully aware of the dangers caused by other motorboat users.

I appreciate everyones advice and have looked to the coast guard for further information, thank you everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Fingal County Council will also be able to advise further.

Advertisement