Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday essentials

Options
  • 06-05-2014 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

We are headin on a sun holiday in August with our 18 month old (did want to go earlier but unfortunately can't)

Any advice?

Most essential items?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

sun cream,arm bands,light clothes,insect repelant and a buggy.
    I can not think of much more for an 18 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

A 1 tog sleeping bag if baby is in the habit of sleeping in a sleeping bag. I brought both mine away in their 1 & 2nd years and this was essential for routine more so than warmth, it was a sleep association for them at that stage.

A long sleeve UV swim suit - Dunnes. A god send for peace of mind.

A sun hat and/or sun glasses.

A sun/snooze shade for the buggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Light long sleeved tops and pants. Swim nappies. Uv shade for buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

A sling! Godsend! Means you can ditch the buggy at least some of the time! And definitely a shade for the buggy- with high UV protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

wicklori wrote: »
    A sling! Godsend! Means you can ditch the buggy at least some of the time! And definitely a shade for the buggy- with high UV protection.

What kind of shades would you recommend? Would a parasol be ok?

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »

IMHO steer clear of a parasol. We were in Oz at Christmas- it was 43 degrees Stephen's day (to give you some insight...) and we had a shade like this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Outlook-Solar-Sun-Shade-99-UV-protection-Strollers-Pushchairs-Carseats-/261434420885?pt=UK_Baby_Pushchair_Accessories_parts_ET&hash=item3cdeb4ae95.
    It was a little cumbersome as it had a flexible wire frame but it was the absolute business! Even the guy who runs our local baby shop and is a fountain of knowledge says avoid parasol..... This kept him cool and comfortable!

kandr10 wrote: »

Parasols are a pain, every time you turn a corner you have to adjust it!

We have a shade a babe and found it brilliant, i used it on a double buggy with the baby sleeping and the toddler awake, it was great.

http://www.snoozeshade.com/

http://www.shade-a-babe.co.uk/

wicklori wrote: »
    A sling! Godsend! Means you can ditch the buggy at least some of the time!

We tried this on our very 1st holiday with our then 5mth old but we found it got too sweatty for both the baby and the carrier. But maybe it was the quality or type of sling. In theory i think it's a brilliant idea, particularly for site seeing trips or city breaks if not doing the typical sun/beach holiday.

ariana` wrote: »
    We tried this on our very 1st holiday with our then 5mth old but we found it got too sweatty for both the baby and the carrier. But maybe it was the quality or type of sling. In theory i think it's a brilliant idea, particularly for site seeing trips or city breaks if not doing the typical sun/beach holiday.
    Definitely go to a sling meet in your area to try some out and get advice from those in the 'know' as you are right- the wrong one could be too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Swimming nappies are essential

Please please don't ever put normal nappies on a child when they are near water. The nappy fills with water, weighs a tonne and drastically increases risk of child drowning or suffering a near drowning related catastrophic brain injury.

Apologies if you know this already but it's something I see regularly during the summer and frankly it terrifies me. Some parents seem to be unaware of risk,
    Rant over.

Very light nightwear.

Uv protective swim wear (with sleeves ) you can also get a hat with a bit to go over the neck as well.

Hats that protect ears and neck

Loads of very good high SPF sunscreen.

Sippy cups

Friend of mine got a small backpack for the child which also has a reins from it that parent can hold on to.

Small toys that child can play with by pool on beach or in buggy

Have a great holiday enjoy :)

http://m.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_225020282343_-1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Those UV suits are brilliant , no idea how I forgot about sun hats !

Advertisement