Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made these tracks?

Options
  • 06-05-2014 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

My dad was doing some excavation work on the farm and found this little beauty. It's on a type of slate and he calls it green stone. It does strike me as something akin to shale and the piece pictured here is about 5mm thick.
    The scale in the picture is in cm.

20140504_232356_zpsf9c7a4bf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I would guess a trilobite or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Rubecula wrote: »
    I would guess a trilobite or similar
    I was kind of thinking that but i googled that and they all look different to this. Theres probably a few varieties though so i may search a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I googled eurypterid tracks and those of similar creatures but none seem to match D: Very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Is it not just one fossil of a sort of ancient caterpillar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Is it not just one fossil of a sort of ancient caterpillar?
    I wondered that too but it just starts and ends with those three steps. It could of course be a caterpillar that floated down and took a step with three of its "modules" and the rest of its prints are elsewhere. Hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

shedweller wrote: »
    I wondered that too but it just starts and ends with those three steps. It could of course be a caterpillar that floated down and took a step with three of its "modules" and the rest of its prints are elsewhere. Hmm...

It's just they look very like legs when you view from the side and similar enough to other insect fossils on the net. Maybe.

Advertisement