Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B Teams being considered by the FA

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Accrington Stanley have said they're going to set up a B team and will apply for them to play in the Premier League. I'll be very disappointed if they're not successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

greendom wrote: »

Peterborough chairman and Portsmouth chief exec are absolutely spot on in that article, totally disrespectful to the league, and they didn't even bother asking the conference what they thought of the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

could Celtic or Rangers possibly join this new league, if it takes off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

thebaz wrote: »
    could Celtic or Rangers possibly join this new league, if it takes off ?

I doubt Celtic would want to lose out on Champions League money for the next few years. It would take at least 3 seasons to get to the Premier League but there's no way they could keep a squad of that calibre over that time so in reality it would be much longer with a chance of not getting there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be honest, I've no real issue with Celtic, Rangers, Man United B, whoever joining the English pyramid. So long as they start at the bottom.

Football League are suggesting B teams could enter into the JPT which would have a group stage. Whilst Premier League are hoping to start a separate under 23 league for b players. Both good ideas that could work together, and the pyramid would be maintained and might give a boost to a currently dead duck of a trophy. More games for league 1 and 2 teams would be hard going though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10859378/Football-League-draws-up-plan-for-Premier-League-B-teams-to-enter-Johnstones-Paint-Trophy.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Football League are suggesting B teams could enter into the JPT which would have a group stage. Whilst Premier League are hoping to start a separate under 23 league for b players. Both good ideas that could work together, and the pyramid would be maintained and might give a boost to a currently dead duck of a trophy. More games for league 1 and 2 teams would be hard going though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10859378/Football-League-draws-up-plan-for-Premier-League-B-teams-to-enter-Johnstones-Paint-Trophy.html

Nice idea, but it doesn't really achieve what the FA set it up to do. The potential of 3 games in a season is hardly gonna be the radical overhaul that the FA are looking at.

CSF wrote: »
    Nice idea, but it doesn't really achieve what the FA set it up to do. The potential of 3 games in a season is hardly gonna be the radical overhaul that the FA are looking at.

Couple of the b teams at least would get further into completion and get more games, but I'm splitting hairs, you're quite right, it's not what the FA want.

Not many want what the FA are suggesting either though, Carlisle chief executive is only one I'm aware of in bottom 2 leagues who has come out in support of League 3 (he is on numerous FA committees though so no huge surprise)

Couple of the b teams at least would get further into completion and get more games, but I'm splitting hairs, you're quite right, it's not what the FA want.

Not many want what the FA are suggesting either though, Carlisle chief executive is only one I'm aware of in bottom 2 leagues who has come out in support of League 3 (he is on numerous FA committees though so no huge surprise)

I wouldn't expect clubs in those leagues to want it. It isn't in their interests. If the FA go ahead with it, which I think is less likely by the day, it will have to be in spite of that.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect clubs in those leagues to want it. It isn't in their interests. If the FA go ahead with it, which I think is less likely by the day, it will have to be in spite of that.

The fa say it is in their interest for the thrill of playing a team you've heard of from the Premier league, filled with players you've never heard of. That and the million or 2 cash bribe for each club.

I hope you are correct about it not going ahead anyway.

They are supposed to be custodians of the whole game from grass roots up, this is them being custodians of the money and England team. The rest can go fupp themselves.

The fa say it is in their interest for the thrill of playing a team you've heard of from the Premier league, filled with players you've never heard of. That and the million or 2 cash bribe for each club.

I hope you are correct about it not going ahead anyway.

They are supposed to be custodians of the whole game from grass roots up, this is them being custodians of the money and England team. The rest can go fupp themselves.
    I agree that it isn't in the interests of the teams in those leagues.

That wouldn't necessarily make it the wrong decision for English football though, but it make it more difficult for them to pass such a motion, whether they need to do that by vote or if they can do it on their own call. Either way it becomes more difficult.

If the FA can make a legitimate case that such an initiative would make for a better pathway for grassroots players, improve the standing of English clubs among the elite clubs like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc, if they can increase the standard of each tier of English football, and they can improve the long term prospects of the national team (and I personally think they can do all of those) then I think it is something the FA need to go ahead with even if it doesn't suit everyone.

I agree that it isn't in the interests of the teams in those leagues.

That wouldn't necessarily make it the wrong decision for English football though, but it make it more difficult for them to pass such a motion, whether they need to do that by vote or if they can do it on their own call. Either way it becomes more difficult.

If the FA can make a legitimate case that such an initiative would make for a better pathway for grassroots players, improve the standing of English clubs among the elite clubs like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc, if they can increase the standard of each tier of English football, and they can improve the long term prospects of the national team (and I personally think they can do all of those) then I think it is something the FA need to go ahead with even if it doesn't suit everyone.

They go ahead with it and they are going against their own ethos and betray hundreds of clubs across the country. Not just those currently in the 92 but those in the leagues below who will see any chance of progression in the league blocked by a log jam caused by League 3.

From the FA website:
    Football is as healthy and successful as it has ever been. The game has more spectators, participants, revenues and media interest than at any time in its history.

Football is the nation’s game in more than the spectator sense; the scope and reach of the game across various levels of participation is considerable:

7 million participants, plus 5 million in schools
    500,000 volunteers
    37,500 clubs, including 9,000 youth clubs
    2,000 competitions
    32,000 schools (17,000 primary)
    30,000 FA-qualified coaches
    27,000 FA-qualified referees
    45,000 pitches (21,000 facilities)
    The FA acts as the link between the professional game and the amateur game beneath, what we call the "National Game". There are tremendous links between the two sides of the game, not least of these is that the volunteers and players in the National Game are substantially football fans, who are therefore the customers of the professional game.

A strong professional game is fundamental to creating interest in football at the grass roots. The FA has a strong relationship with The FA Premier League, the Football League, and The Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA).

So for the sake of the elite and England team should be their new mantra. I have no issue with Premier League teams trying to get what's best for them, but nothing above says it's within the FA remit to help the elite get better at the expense of others. The whole of the game, not just those with the most money.

Well, in theory the FA would be improving the Premiership and every tier underneath that, in theory they would be improving the national team and all the underage national teams that feed into that, and in theory they would be helping every English footballer by giving them a better pathway to where they want to go in their career.

Obviously there is a flipside to that, and I can see why the teams who are likely affected by it are up in arms, that makes obvious sense. But I can see why they would go ahead with it anyway.

Advertisement