Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The magic happens....now?

Options
  • 06-05-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just wanted opinions on a problem I have with something in magic...the magic itself, or lack of it.

It's something that bothers me about some of the routines that I perform.

Here's an example,

It's a variation of Blaine's sandwich switch thing (yes i know it's not invented by him but
    it is now attributed to him)

They select a card, and sign it. You fold the card into quarters and they hold it.
    You sign a different card and fold it. When they are opened you now have spectators signed card and you have their card. But when the heck does the "magic" happen?

When I did this recently I just said, "Hold your card close to mine...now it happens, did you see them switch?" And opened it to reveal. But nothing actually does happen the sneaky work is already done. It feels empty and not very strong. Shouldn't something happen? The card glow or levitate (I thought of levitating the card but thought it would distract from the main effect)

In contrast look at haunted deck effect. There is no doubt when the "magic" happens.
    It's as the deck begins to split in two and everyone gasps as it happens "No way!" etc etc

In effects like the folded card or its more normal counterpart where you just wave a card over the selected card to make the change...how do you make the magic happen????

Advertisement