Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4X4 Accessories and Fitting

• 06-05-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

So I have a Navara with a hardtop but I have a few things I need for it, and can't seem to find out where to go etc to get them/fit them. So I was hoping for some advice and direction!
    On a side note, if you think this post would be better somewhere else please let me know!

First off, even with the tint on the hardtop, most days I can see in the window! I was thinking about putting something else behind the glass (I wanted it to look good!) any ideas or pointers on this?

Also, I need amber LED lights fitted! I can find where to buy them, but not able to find someone that sells and fits them (or just fits)!
    Alongside this, I also need power point added onto the back of the pickup! Maybe even a 2nd battery to run led lights and power some kit like laptop etc.

I'm in and around Wicklow/Dublin, but can drive anywhere really to get this work done!
    Any direction would be great as I'm lost at this stage on where to go, as most places that seem to do this are in the UK!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you want to get a 2nd battery make sure you have space in the engine bay. You should have enough space. You'll need to get a battery isolator kit too, so the 2nd battery doesn't run down, then drain the primary/starter battery also. The isolators receive charge from the alternator as well as the primary battery. The system isolates the primary battery from getting drained if you leave something on/plugged in/charging. Any decent auto electrician should be able to get these.

2nd batteries are generally deep cycle/dry batteries. They won't have as big a cold cranking amps as the primary battery for starting the motor (but they aren't intended for this anyway). They are designed to last longer for powering camping fridges, lights etc..

A simple solution is to get a big inverter wired in from the 2nd battery so you can plug your 240V into that. Mu work Hilux has a 2nd battery out the back with a decent inverter wired in to charge my small batteries for my GPS Survey kit. Works a treat.

The bad news is the battery isolator kit, for a decent one might be a few hundred euro, same again for a decent high wattage inverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Whitehawk wrote: »
    So I have a Navara with a hardtop but I have a few things I need for it, and can't seem to find out where to go etc to get them/fit them. So I was hoping for some advice and direction!
    On a side note, if you think this post would be better somewhere else please let me know!

First off, even with the tint on the hardtop, most days I can see in the window! I was thinking about putting something else behind the glass (I wanted it to look good!) any ideas or pointers on this?

Also, I need amber LED lights fitted! I can find where to buy them, but not able to find someone that sells and fits them (or just fits)!
    Alongside this, I also need power point added onto the back of the pickup! Maybe even a 2nd battery to run led lights and power some kit like laptop etc.

I'm in and around Wicklow/Dublin, but can drive anywhere really to get this work done!
    Any direction would be great as I'm lost at this stage on where to go, as most places that seem to do this are in the UK!

Give JDM products in Bray a call on 01 20 50 500. They recently fitted flashing amber lights to a Hi-Lux for us (a security vehicle) and a remote control spot light. They also do some work for the Gardaí on unmarked vehicles for flashing lights etc.

Probably able to wire a second power point - if it's just for the lights you shouldn't need a second battery - only need that if you want to run a laptop for a while, without the engine running. Split charge relay and deep cycle battery would be fairly expensive - cost us about €900 + VAT to have a 1K inverter, split charge and battery fitted to Sprinters in 2008. All the 1K inverters blew and had to be replaced with 2k inverters - apparently printers blew the inverters, but I reckon it was making brews...

Are you looking for some sort of mesh grill for the rear window? Still be able to see what's in the back, but would make it a lot more difficult to actually break in. Someone like www.bott.ie, www.towingequipment.ie or www.cafco.ie might be able to source something. Never had anything like that fitted to a pick up, but had rear window grills fitted to small panel vans (caddy etc) with glass rear windows.

Advertisement