Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locations in title sequence

• 06-05-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that they've gone a bit lazy with updating the title sequence, based on the locations visited in each episode?

The same opening titles have been used for the first five episodes of this season, with "Dreadfort" (sic) and Dragonstone included every time, despite only appearing in one episode and two episodes, respectively. And The Eyrie wasn't in the episode 5 title sequence, despite featuring prominently (the animation was used in season 1, so it's not a case of it needing to be created especially for this episode).

I also remember an episode in season 3 (episode 3) where Dragonstone appeared but wasn't in the title sequence, while Harrenhal (that didn't appear) was.

And surely Winterfell - which hasn't been seen since season 2 - would have stopped smoking by now? ;)

I'm also wondering if (spoilers for season 4 episode 6 based on YouTube preview and one of the season 4 trailers)
    Braavos will be shown when Stannis travels there to meet with the Iron Bank.
    It will be a shame if it isn't.

I'm assuming it's a money thing, but it's a little disappointing, as one of the coolest things about the title sequence is how it was updated each episode as the primary locations changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Gadgie wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that they've gone a bit lazy with updating the title sequence, based on the locations visited in each episode?

The same opening titles have been used for the first five episodes of this season, with "Dreadfort" (sic) and Dragonstone included every time, despite only appearing in one episode and two episodes, respectively. And The Eyrie wasn't in the episode 5 title sequence, despite featuring prominently (the animation was used in season 1, so it's not a case of it needing to be created especially for this episode).

I also remember an episode in season 3 (episode 3) where Dragonstone appeared but wasn't in the title sequence, while Harrenhal (that didn't appear) was.

And surely Winterfell - which hasn't been seen since season 2 - would have stopped smoking by now? ;)

I'm also wondering if (spoilers for season 4 episode 6 based on YouTube preview and one of the season 4 trailers)
    Braavos will be shown when Stannis travels there to meet with the Iron Bank.
    It will be a shame if it isn't.

I'm assuming it's a money thing, but it's a little disappointing, as one of the coolest things about the title sequence is how it was updated each episode as the primary locations changed.

Hadnt thought about that. Good point on
    Braavos
    though. Will be cool to see what they do with the ..book spoiler, which we'll probably see next week..
    Titan of Braavos
    !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah Ive noticed this too. In the case of the Eyrie, theyve actually changed the Eyrie location, it used to look completely different so maybe they would have had to update the title sequence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Was it always the case though? I thought the locations were added as they were visited and didn't mean that they were going to show up.

It would also mean the title could spoil the episode. Oh so we will def see Winterfall in this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

They used to be more relevant in seasons 1 and 2. A location from the title sequence might not appear in the episode, but not the other way around.

Since season 3 though, they seem to have missed out locations that appear (mostly Dragonstone in season 3), while keeping in others that do not appear. There's a list of all title sequence variations at the following link: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Title_sequence

King's Landing, Winterfell, The Wall, and whereever Dany is/was/is heading are always featured whether they appear or not, sometimes at the expense of other locations that do appear.

Seems a bit unusual that we're halfway through season four already and there's only been one title sequence so far, yet past seasons have had three or four variations across the season.

I was pleased to see Braavos in the title sequence last week, however they used the same opening again this week, even though Braavos and the Dreadfort were not locations in the episode. Dragonstone and the Eyrie were shown, but didn't appear in the opening sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Honestly, I find the 45-50 minutes that follow more important.
    The title credits are nice, very inventive, great tune too obviously.
    That said, they could leave it out and I wouldn't miss it.

Yes, obviously. Kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? I doubt many viewers turn off after the opening titles.

I would. I think many others would, too.

I'm just slightly disappointed that they don't bother to make them that relevant to the episodes any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Oh I'd really miss it! Title sequences are really important, think how the music of Dallas transports you immediately back to the 80s wondering who shot JR!

I love the little clockwork mechanical places in the GoT title sequence, and the sense of scale by being shown places in relation to each other on the map. If they didn't have the title sequence non book readers would miss the map aspect of the universe, knowing where places are in relation to each other helps enrich the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :pac:

Advertisement