Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Street. AGAIN!!

Options
  • 06-05-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So work on tidying it up is (hopefully) finally going to commence. Not on pedestrianisation that some of us had hoped for, but on a €600,000 facelift, due to start after the Fleadh in August.

But, doubt that will be the end of the current patchwork quilt look, Irish Water has not agreed to do its works until after the Coco has done its work. The Champion today Councillors are outraged, company officials are blaming the Water Utility company, and are refusing to includ water main works in its tender.

I can understamd why officals are so mad, its bad enough that there's going to be delays and disruption whilst improvements are carried out, however I think most could live with that in the longterm if it improved the look, and desirability of the street, and the town. But then for the utilities to tear it all up again, wirh it probably ending up again with, dips, potholes, tar lines, etc, is only going to wind up people further, but then probably point the finger again at the Coco, for the state of the Street, not doing enough for it, and failure for ensuring all these works are done at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

And yet the council are still going to press ahead and waste their money anyway.

How Oirish is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And yet the council are still going to press ahead and waste their money anyway.

How Oirish is that?

Very, I'd be iclined to hold off on the improvements, letting the Utilities mess the street up more first.

Or have some very major claus that the street is to be left EXACTLY how it was found. I know Utilities are usally required to do this, but looking at the different shades of cement, tar, concrete, etc currenly on the street, I'd question how often this happens.

Maybe something to ask our wanna be elected councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sligo council reminds me of a child who refuses to learn their lesson, like a kid who smashes their face jumping off a wall who just gets back up to fall and smash it again. If Irish Water are going to rip up the street then wait until they do the works, they're not even bothered to do it for the Fleadh surely they can wait a few more months, rather than do it for it to be ripped up again, and you just know it won't be done properly the second time around, judging by past works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Hmm....

Is this one of those instances where money has to be spent before a certain deadline or you have to reapply for funding?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Very, I'd be iclined to hold off on the improvements, letting the Utilities mess the street up more first.

Or have some very major claus that the street is to be left EXACTLY how it was found. I know Utilities are usally required to do this, but looking at the different shades of cement, tar, concrete, etc currenly on the street, I'd question how often this happens.

Maybe something to ask our wanna be elected councillors.

Well, I imagine that would be a good idea, hence why they're not doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Of course new concrete or tarmac is going to be a different colour!
    What difference is the colour going to make if the levels are ok.

Maybe there's an opportunity there for someone to invent 'aged look' concrete and tar!:p

Hang on, don't bother, someone 'll complain they're using secondhand stuff :D

red sean wrote: »
    Of course new concrete or tarmac is going to be a different colour!
    What difference is the colour going to make if the levels are ok.

Maybe there's an opportunity there for someone to invent 'aged look' concrete and tar!:p

Hang on, don't bother, someone 'll complain they're using secondhand stuff :D

To be fair, ride a bike down O Connell street and tell me how level it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

On a serious note, I'd say the CoCo probably have a deadline in terms of funding, and cannot wait for the Water Co to move it's ass.
    I'd be worried Irish Water will have the whole place dug up and in sh1t in the run up to Christmas.

red sean wrote: »
    On a serious note, I'd say the CoCo probably have a deadline in terms of funding, and cannot wait for the Water Co to move it's ass.
    I'd be worried Irish Water will have the whole place dug up and in sh1t in the run up to Christmas.

You think they could just put a case for holding the funding off until after the works were done to make sure the job is done properly, but I suppose that sounds like too sensible an option.

The posts about funding and budgets do make sence. Same reason why you see pot holes on back roads being filled with tar and chips. The relavent Coco needs to spend it cash otherwise they won't get as much the following year.

Going back to the different shades of tarmac and concrete, hopefully it will be stone blocks for the paving, and the same ones that are lifted are relayed, and the whole road is dug and relayed to avoid the current patchwork quilt effect.

• Advertisement

Castle Street looking well with the new paving, and new tarmac going dowm on the road last night, just a shame about the blobs of chewing gum already dried and pressed in, in places.

Anyone know if this is the same design for O'Connell Street, or if there are drawings for it,.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Why the huge speed ramp outside foley's pub,traffic is normally at walking pace there is it not a waste of funds

sligono1 wrote: »
    Why the huge speed ramp outside foley's pub,traffic is normally at walking pace there is it not a waste of funds

Yes. I should take my comment about new tarmac. That seemed to be the total sum of their work and filling the trenches along the new paving.

Unless its a step/ramp free crossing point.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Yes. I should take my comment about new tarmac. That seemed to be the total sum of their work and filling the trenches along the new paving.

Unless its a step/ramp free crossing point.

I'd say its more to do with the stepless crossing point more than anything, though they could have easily sloped the pavement to the road level while they were doing it.

In regards to O'Connell St, wasn't this what they wanted to do with it, and have Irish water rip it up afterwards? Wasn't it scheduled to be done after the Fleadh?

So now that the Fleadh is almost over, do we have a start date?

Was gonna start a new thread on this, but until I actually see something happen, I will never believe it, but if the Sligo Champion is to be believed, work could actually start next year, but then we were told that, after the end of each of the recent Fleadhs.

But apparently, according to the Champion, and a few other websites, including the CoCos own, IW are starting their work in September, for completion in November, then the CoCo will start their improvements next year sometime.

Anyone here any more, or see any plans?

Advertisement