Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Samsung Galaxy 4S not working

Options
  • 06-05-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi, my mam recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 while signing up with a new bill-bay contract with one of the main providers. She changed from a cheap bill with another provider to more expensive in order to get this phone.
    After a few days it stopped working. Intermittently, but most of the time, the screen would freeze, or most but not all of the touch screen would become deactivated.

She brought it back to the shop. The shop assistant verified it was not working. Phone was sent off repair, due back on the Wednesday. On the Friday she got a call saying there was nothing wrong with the phone, so they have not needed to fix it, and she would get it back the following Wednesday (so, they kept it an extra week for nothing).

She is due to get her phone back tomorrow. What are her rights? Assuming the phone will not work again when she gets it, can she demand a new phone? Or is she only entitled to get it fixed? Any advice on what she should do, the phone kept freezing, person in shop verified this in writing - buy the engineers claim the is nothing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

That is annoying . I am not sure of your rights to be honest but I am pretty sure you do have rights but getting what you are owed from techonology companies never goes as it should .
    I had similar problems both with laptops and phones. The PC store sent the laptop to Samsung in dublin and of course they could do nothing as they said they found nothing.

With my phone I was only dealing with one network provider and their policy was if your phone breaks 3 times we will give u a new one, well my phone did break three times and they sent it away all the times but I never got a replacement!

Good luck trying to get something of them.!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

She can't demand anything. The shop can offer repair replace or refund, she is free to accept or reject any offer made. However, if no agreement can be made on a remedy, her only option is to take it to the small claims court.

And Samsung phones freezing is a huge issue. If you Google it you'll see its happening way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

loloray wrote: »
    Hi, my mam recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 while signing up with a new bill-bay contract with one of the main providers. She changed from a cheap bill with another provider to more expensive in order to get this phone.
    After a few days it stopped working. Intermittently, but most of the time, the screen would freeze, or most but not all of the touch screen would become deactivated.

She brought it back to the shop. The shop assistant verified it was not working. Phone was sent off repair, due back on the Wednesday. On the Friday she got a call saying there was nothing wrong with the phone, so they have not needed to fix it, and she would get it back the following Wednesday (so, they kept it an extra week for nothing).

She is due to get her phone back tomorrow. What are her rights? Assuming the phone will not work again when she gets it, can she demand a new phone? Or is she only entitled to get it fixed? Any advice on what she should do, the phone kept freezing, person in shop verified this in writing - buy the engineers claim the is nothing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

She is entitled to a repair(which must be permanent) and this counts as a repair as there was definitely a fault with the phone! Or a replacement(usually when a repair has been attempted and fails) or a full refund.

At this stage she should get the phone back and if the same fault happens again make notes of when it happens and also try to make a video of it. then she can return to the store and request a replacement handset.

The store will insist that they never replace phones without first sending them away 20 times and getting permission from God etc etc but your Mother should stand her ground and politely refuse a 2nd repair and insist on a replacement as this is reasonable to expect. She should have in her possession at this time forms for the Small Claims Court which she should have filled out and when the shop refuse to replace she should ask them for the company name explaining that it is required for the small claims court forms.

When most of these cases are filed for the small claims court the shop usually replaces or refunds because they don't stand much of a chance in court especially when the customer has acted reasonably.

Advertisement