Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts Video Ad on Homepage

Options
  • 06-05-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Could something be done with the Adverts TV ad that plays automatically at the top of the Boards home page so it doesn't play automatically?

'Tis getting a tad tiresome.

Ta.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Is it playing sound or just the video?

It should just be video and we've had hundreds of ads like this before that play video and will only play sound when specified (but sometimes the auto-play sound ones slip through).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Have any of them been this big (dimensions) before Dav?

What size is it (data)? Its pretty long and fairly high looking quality. would be a fairly big pain for users on mobile broadband if it was sizable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dav wrote: »
    Just video unless you click on the sound icon.
    Have any of them been this big (dimensions) before Dav?

What size is it (data)? Its pretty long and fairly high looking quality. would be a fairly big pain for users on mobile broadband if it was sizable

3502k - only shows on the desktop site (& loads from cache so its a once off hit), not shown on touch or m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dav wrote: »

It should just be video and we've had hundreds of ads like this before that play video and will only play sound when specified (but sometimes the auto-play sound ones slip through).

Just video. That's the first video Ad to catch my eye but it may be the physical size of it. The gif type ones just blend in but this one is fairly in your face.

Maybe changing it to a 'Roll over to play' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We've had several that size on the home page since we introduced it as an option last year. Vodafone comes to mind as a regular for that slot, but I'm sure we've had others.

• Advertisement

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Does that blinding big add have to be on the homepage

im actually on Boards 5 years and never saw it that big before.. it really hurts the eyes on a black background

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    Does that blinding big add have to be on the homepage

im actually on Boards 5 years and never saw it that big before.. it really hurts the eyes on a black background

That's what she said..........:pac:

Adblock FTW.

Never bothered with it before. I know how important Ads are for any site. I even click on them occasionally but that thing takes the biscuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That's what she said..........:pac:

Adblock FTW.

Never bothered with it before. I know how important Ads are for any site. I even click on them occasionally but that thing takes the biscuit.

I agree, using AdBlock at the minute as a silent protest towards that monstrosity of a thing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I hate to do it, but I've installed adblock specifically to get rid of that giant video ad. I honestly cannot recall seeing any that big or intrusive, particularly with the video playing automatically.

I don't understand the rules against such things as animated gifs for profile pics or signatures when monstrosities such as that are pushed at us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement