Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Can someone explain the 1/1 odds...:confused:

Put one euro on, you win one euro plus your stake back. Therefore you make a profit of €1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think Fellaini will be shown the door. Just my opinion but I think he was a poor buy and this season his level was truly shown.

I would be shocked if he didn't get one season under Van Gaal and then see what happens. Even as a squad option.

I see a 4 3 3 formation with current players.

Fellaini behind Kagawa and Mata in the centre of the park with Rooney and Adnan further forward wide of RvP.

If we sign 2 world class CM's I see Fellaini and Kagawa replaced in that line up. Pure speculation based on the few Dutch line ups i've seen with Van Der Vaart and Strootman in CM in front of a Holding midfielder.

Really have no idea what way he will play which is exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

The way he utilised Van der Vaart and Sneijder in the Dutch national team gives me hope that he might be able to achieve some sort of balanced side that incorporates Mata, Kagawa, Rooney and van Persie. Maybe with some rotation but I think it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Today we are being linked with another Dutch player Memphis Depay. Anyone seen him play? I've only seen bits and pieces. Looks a tricky player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think Fellaini will be shown the door. Just my opinion but I think he was a poor buy and this season his level was truly shown.

I'm not writing him off so quick, he is a good player. None of the team exactly excelled last season and he is certainly worth a squad place imo, interested to see what happens there.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I would be shocked if he didn't get one season under Van Gaal and then see what happens. Even as a squad option.

I see a 4 3 3 formation with current players.

Fellaini behind Kagawa and Mata in the centre of the park with Rooney and Adnan further forward wide of RvP.

If we sign 2 world class CM's I see Fellaini and Kagawa replaced in that line up. Pure speculation based on the few Dutch line ups i've seen with Van Der Vaart and Strootman in CM in front of a Holding midfielder.

Really have no idea what way he will play which is exciting.

No way he plays both Mata and Kagawa in centre mid together with a DM, one will be further forward or not in the team. Big difference in them and Strootman types

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

6 years ago today!

MU_champions_league_2008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Wasn't it van gaal who turned schweinsteiger from a wide man to a central midfielder? Would he try to change rooney also? Rooney has played there in patches over the last few seasons but was never fully converted and trained to focus on the position

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Transfer news, mostly stolen from Reddit

Miguel Delaney is saying we're confident of getting Kroos before the World Cup and that we're after 6 top players. Mark Ogden said we were confident on Kroos last week. Feels as if this one is building to a head in a really positive way.

M.E.N. and Jamie Jackson are reporting that the Shaw deal is 95% done, and should be concluded pre-WC as well.

The Mirror report we want to steal Yevhen Konoplyanka from Liverpool. £12m is the price being touted for the winger.

Guillem Balague is reporting that Cesc has a buyout clause of €40m and he thinks that we "are probably favourites." Though Balague is incredibly unreliable, he's simply reporting what is "common knowledge" within the Spanish press. Also of note is that Cesc is absent from the ads for next season's jersey; same as last year when the Thiago rumours started up.

German paper Bild are reporting that Van Gaal has to money to buy any Bayern-player he wants.

Mexican media reporting center back Hector Moreno could go to Man Utd. He has already played for Van Gaal for two seasons in AZ.

The Express have us eyeing up De Vrij.

LvG was asked about Strootman joining United. He responded: "I gave my wishlist to the club," Van Gaal explained. "Is Kevin Strootman on it? A question for you, a fact for me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wasn't it van gaal who turned schweinsteiger from a wide man to a central midfielder? Would he try to change rooney also? Rooney has played there in patches over the last few seasons but was never fully converted and trained to focus on the position

He changed him from Winger to cm . Alaba from Cm to Lb , Badstuber from Lb to Cb , Bogarde from LW to Lb & Simon Poulsen from LW to LB. Probably more that I'm not aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Transfer news, mostly stolen from Reddit

Miguel Delaney is saying we're confident of getting Kroos before the World Cup and that we're after 6 top players. Mark Ogden said we were confident on Kroos last week. Feels as if this one is building to a head in a really positive way.

M.E.N. and Jamie Jackson are reporting that the Shaw deal is 95% done, and should be concluded pre-WC as well.

The Mirror report we want to steal Yevhen Konoplyanka from Liverpool. £12m is the price being touted for the winger.

Guillem Balague is reporting that Cesc has a buyout clause of €40m and he thinks that we "are probably favourites." Though Balague is incredibly unreliable, he's simply reporting what is "common knowledge" within the Spanish press. Also of note is that Cesc is absent from the ads for next season's jersey; same as last year when the Thiago rumours started up.

German paper Bild are reporting that Van Gaal has to money to buy any Bayern-player he wants.

Mexican media reporting center back Hector Moreno could go to Man Utd. He has already played for Van Gaal for two seasons in AZ.

The Express have us eyeing up De Vrij.

LvG was asked about Strootman joining United. He responded: "I gave my wishlist to the club," Van Gaal explained. "Is Kevin Strootman on it? A question for you, a fact for me."

I absolutely love his attitude with the media. His press conferences are going to be wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Despite being banned on Easter Sunday, I have, like Christ himself, returned (albeit slightly later than the man himself) and I'm claiming full responsability for ushering in the Iron Tulip's reign over Manchester United.

With that, I give you the latest gossip via BBC (although not BBC itself)
    Meanwhile, United have agreed a deal to sign attacking midfielder Toni Kroos from Van Gaal's former club Bayern Munich, with an agreement in principle for the 24-year-old.

Full story: Daily Express

The new United manager could make PSV Eindhoven's Netherlands striker Memphis Depay, 20, one of his first signings.

Full story: Sun (subscription required)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should buy Memphis, just for the song alone

Walking in Memphis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

poor luis is in for a shock if he thinks he can adapt the likes of Jones, Carrick, Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Welbeck and Fellaini into a total football model :(

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/louis-van-gaal-total-football-7146779

when you consider the amount of games the above group have gotten in the past 2 or 3 seasons, it shows just how poor our technical ability is within the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

ShaneU wrote: »
    6 years ago today!

MU_champions_league_2008.jpg

Pique in the background ... makes you despair ... if we had only kept Pique and Pogba ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pique in the background ... makes you despair ... if we had only kept Pique and Pogba ...

This again? Pique left 6 years ago. He was behind Rio and Vidic at their prime. He hadn't a hope of getting into the team and he left. It's not comparable to Pogba at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

poor luis is in for a shock if he thinks he can adapt the likes of Jones, Carrick, Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Welbeck and Fellaini into a total football model :(

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/louis-van-gaal-total-football-7146779

when you consider the amount of games the above group have gotten in the past 2 or 3 seasons, it shows just how poor our technical ability is within the squad.

Disagree with you. I don't think the passing or ability of Jones, Carrick, Cleverley or Welbeck is as bad as you make out.

In particular, I would say the adaptability and willingness to do what they are asked to do (regardless of position) is very much in the favour of Cleverley, Jones and Welbeck.

in all fairness, Pique was un-keepable as he was too good to sit on the bench. Rio made the world team of the year in 2008, Vidic did it in 2009 and no young defender in the world was going to break up that partnership, he wasnt going to sit and accept it.

its just unfortunate that he broke into the squad then, another year or two later and he'd have made it, though i do think he was always destined to go back to Spain, like Fabregas for instance...its just in their blood.

same for Rossi, he had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and an in form Saha (2007/2008) in front of him.

Pogba however is a completely different story, it will rank as one of Fergies greatest ever mistakes. however, it does appear from what Fergie was saying, that Pogba was a problem child behind the scenes (or more to the point his agent) and this caused his downfall.

in saying that, had we given Pogba the money he wanted, i think he would have stayed.

Disagree with you. I don't think the passing or ability of Jones, Carrick, Cleverley or Welbeck is as bad as you make out.

In particular, I would say the adaptability and willingness to do what they are asked to do (regardless of position) is very much in the favour of Cleverley, Jones and Welbeck.

there is passing the ball, which every professional football can do, to a certain extent.

then there is actual technical ability to be creative and make a difference in a tight game and thats something that all of the above seriously lack.

you can count on one hand the amount of key passes that led to goals this season. Carrick is the best of them in terms of passing, but again he is not on a level of other first choice midfielders both in the league and europe.

Phil Jones is probably the least skillful player that is regulary playing football at the top level of the league. he has his qualities (heart, determination, tackling), but his actual ball playing ability has not progressed one bit since he signed for us. take away his work effort and he is as limited as they come. ill put it this way, we spent £20million to replace John o Shea.

Why do you constantly refer to the Jones transfer fee as £20million?

Welbeck should be nowhere near your list either, one of the most skillful players at the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there is passing the ball, which every professional football can do, to a certain extent.

then there is actual technical ability to be creative and make a difference in a tight game and thats something that all of the above seriously lack.

you can count on one hand the amount of key passes that led to goals this season. Carrick is the best of them in terms of passing, but again he is not on a level of other first choice midfielders both in the league and europe.

Phil Jones is probably the least skillful player that is regulary playing football at the top level of the league. he has his qualities (heart, determination, tackling), but his actual ball playing ability has not progressed one bit since he signed for us. take away his work effort and he is as limited as they come. ill put it this way, we spent £20million to replace John o Shea.
    In Van Gaals system, the creative burden is not on the central midfielders, it is on the wide players and the no.10. the central midfielders need to offer for the ball, move into space for it, and look to link short to the wide player or the number 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pque is an overrated centre half. He's far too slow and prone to clumsy decisions. If he didn't have Busquets in front of him he'd be badly exposed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barcelona buy two centre backs this summer.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Pogba end up at Barcelona this Summer. The loss of Pogba rests solely at Ferguson's door. What an incredibly naive and stupid decision. The game where he played Rafael in midfield was an absolutely catastrophic decision and probably the straw that broke the Camels back for Pogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I think I will just say it again lads.... toni kroos and luke shaw signed before the world cup starts

bangkok wrote: »
    I think I will just say it again lads.... toni kroos and luke shaw signed before the world cup starts

Chinese cookies cost a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kroos is this years Thiago, not happening.

• glued wrote: »
    Chinese cookies cost a fortune

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

id say off all the summer transfers for the last 20-30 years this summer has the potential to be the most exciting...... expect to seeat least 4 new arrivals of which 3 will be guaranteed quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm rolling out the gazebo of positivity!

JOIN ME!

RasTa wrote: »

Uncle Toni will play for United next season. #BELIEVE

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm rolling out the gazebo of positivity!

JOIN ME!

Posativity bench is ready and waiting! :cool:

MANU_04_149083b.jpg

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Uncle Toni will play for United next season. #BELIEVE

He's already joined you fool!

Toni-Kroos-Manchester-United.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

RasTa wrote: »

Was listening to a podcast during the week, "The game" I think it was. Someone said Thiago was a done deal but Giggs called it off saying he's not a united player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Go home you're drunk ye clown...
    You said Kroos would be done a few days after the german cup final
    4 days and counting..
    stop trying to look like you're in the know because no one believes you

Would probably never ever listen to anything "The Game" has to say ever again in that case

kryogen wrote: »
    Why do you constantly refer to the Jones transfer fee as £20million?

because that is what he cost when internationals, PL titles and appearances are all met. the initial transfer fee is at £16.5 plus add ons of £4million.

Blackburn manager Kean confirmed this on several sources -

"Contracts are very complicated but with the games that he will play and with different bits and bobs that will be added on it will go above £20 million, so it's a very, very big fee," Kean said.

Telegraph -
    Manchester United claimed victory in their transfer wrangle with Blackburn over England Under-21 defender Phil Jones on Monday, despite the Ewood Park manager Steve Kean’s insistence that the champions could pay as much as £20.5 million for him.

when we missed out to City on winning the league, there were reports every where that it saved us £2million....

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Go home you're drunk ye clown...
    You said Kroos would be done a few days after the german cup final
    4 days and counting..
    stop trying to look like you're in the know because no one believes you

before the world cup..... shaw is in Portugal at the moment so his deal should be announced after England game this weekend against peru... kroos should hopefully be a few days later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Kean is a confirmed bluffer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

We should go for Yaya but not forget his birthday obviously, I mean if he's that pissed off about it he might come to United. Transfer request because they forgot his birthday did ya ever hear the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

patmac wrote: »
    We should go for Yaya but not forget his birthday obviously, I mean if he's that pissed off about it he might come to United. Transfer request because they forgot his birthday did ya ever hear the like.

If he stays in England I cannot wait for every fan to sing Happy Birthday whenever he gets the ball :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

in all fairness, Pique was un-keepable as he was too good to sit on the bench. Rio made the world team of the year in 2008, Vidic did it in 2009 and no young defender in the world was going to break up that partnership, he wasnt going to sit and accept it.

its just unfortunate that he broke into the squad then, another year or two later and he'd have made it, though i do think he was always destined to go back to Spain, like Fabregas for instance...its just in their blood.

same for Rossi, he had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and an in form Saha (2007/2008) in front of him.

Pogba however is a completely different story, it will rank as one of Fergies greatest ever mistakes. however, it does appear from what Fergie was saying, that Pogba was a problem child behind the scenes (or more to the point his agent) and this caused his downfall.

in saying that, had we given Pogba the money he wanted, i think he would have stayed.

In fairness to Pogba I think he just wanted playing time, keep saying it but when Fergie picked Park and Rafael in midfield for that Blackburn game he may as well have shipped Pogba out then! Huge mistake!

• Advertisement

before the world cup..... shaw is in Portugal at the moment so his deal should be announced after England game this weekend against peru... kroos should hopefully be a few days later

So pure speculation on your part...c'mon lad time to stop talking BS...

I could say similar applies to Hummels, Cavani, Reus etc

Sure LvG is going round the Dutch camp negotiating contracts with Clasie, de vriejs, Sneijder, Martins, Strootman, Kuyt, Stekelenburg etc to sign up for us...

These are pure speculations on my part and i have no inside knowledge but sure they'll all be done before the World Cup..

Let the club take care of the signings and release the news when they're confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

My contacts lead me to believe Vidal will be signed on Friday @ 2pm.

duffman13 wrote: »

Wow Duffman, have you a brother working at United too...:eek:
    who else are we getting
    oh i'm excited now
    we've two contacts inside the club
    Maybe we'll break transfer exclusively on boards

Duffman, of course i know you're being sarcastic ;)

because that is what he cost when internationals, PL titles and appearances are all met. the initial transfer fee is at £16.5 plus add ons of £4million.

Blackburn manager Kean confirmed this on several sources -

"Contracts are very complicated but with the games that he will play and with different bits and bobs that will be added on it will go above £20 million, so it's a very, very big fee," Kean said.

Telegraph -

when we missed out to City on winning the league, there were reports every where that it saved us £2million....

Ah, so Steve Kean wouldn't lie is the premise, fair enough

Phil Jones has won 1 Premier League title, no domestic cups, obviously no European cups and he hasn't exactly played every game has he so I highly doubt he would have triggered too many club success bonuses regardless

Do you think he has met the clauses in his contract already that could see that fee rise to the £20million you keep stating, honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

duffman13 wrote: »

See this is where I can't tell who is taking the piss and who is trying to be genuine, with all the speculation and rumors its hard to tell who is adding fuel to the fire, ive a feeling you're joking because of the specific time :)

A few days later, after the German cup final? Didnt we already have that :D

Your a funny guy

goodfellas-liotta-pesci-restaurant-movie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone use Bet365 now how to see odds and place bets on transfers?

I'm using the mobile app. Got paid out on LVG and want to reinvest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I've been mulling over all the rumoured managers we've been linked with in the past, or fans favourites.
    A selection of what we heard:
    Gordon Strachen
    David o leary.
    Martin o Neill
    Carlos Queiroz
    Roy Keane
    Sven (very nearly true )
    Sparky
    Rene M
    AVB
    Ole

And most recently:
    Pep
    Jose
    Klopp
    Simeone.

I guess some of the names would never have fit with what we all think of as the "man utd style". Some just had no chance of leaving Dortmund (pity). But of all the names in football today, Van Gaal simply "fits" what I think we all want for United.

Which managers have turned your head over the years. I loved the comedy that came from a Strachan interview, now imitated by klopp. I was in the Jose fan club for his ego a few years back.

Tl; dr: I'm very happy we have the Iron Tulip.

Hococop wrote: »
    See this is where I can't tell who is taking the piss and who is trying to be genuine, with all the speculation and rumors its hard to tell who is adding fuel to the fire, ive a feeling you're joking because of the specific time :)

Anyone bar the BBC is talking utter shíte.

All of these 'sources' and not one of them can say who it is giving them this information, nor can they provide an actual date or time that will be right. Poor old bangkok has been saying Kroos was to be signed since the German cup for Christ's sake.

Hococop wrote: »

Hoco i think TBF there's only one supporter claiming we're doing deals and when because he's ITK!!!!

Everyone else is trying to work things out based on news, journalsists, other sites, twitter etc but in a reasonable fashion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement