Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Imagine being bangkok's Da!

I don't have to imagine!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Imagine being bangkok's Da!

Thats the funniest post i've seen on here in a long time
    i almost wet myself laughing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

bangkok wrote: »
    well there are around 300-350 working at Carrington... none of them have any brothers or sisters :rolleyes:

I have a friend who works in turin teaching English....

I have a friend who used to live in Barcelona from 2007-2009 and dated a girl..

Jon Flanagan was on holidays last week in Portugal and my friend met him in a bar....

crazy stuff :)

Not particularly crazy just an awful lot coincidences coming together. I thought you said the guy in Turin was in the know, does he teach at one of the club's or something.. Two of your buddies teaching English abroad, it's a good way to travel and make contacts 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

well there are around 300-350 working at Carrington... none of them have any brothers or sisters :rolleyes:

I have a friend who works in turin teaching English....

I have a friend who used to live in Barcelona from 2007-2009 and dated a girl..

Jon Flanagan was on holidays last week in Portugal and my friend met him in a bar....

crazy stuff :)

I've an uncle called Jim

Hear he's a bit of a tool in person. GF saw him at a local airport acting like he was a rock star.

He was one of the most ignorant and stuck up people I have met in football. Destroyed my image of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There's always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Given that united employ 800 staff full time.
    40% of them sure as **** dont work at carington the training facility its less than 100

most of their staff are commercial

Who will play the most games next season out of: Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

brinty wrote: »
    You mean he's not your dad too Keane :eek:

No relation, although it's a nice story (which I believe I've told before years ago on boards).

Ah, yes - right enough:
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Not quite the same thing but I'll tell my story anyway.

A good few years back my grandparents were out for a drink in their local. They ended up in company chatting to another elderly couple visiting from Cork for a few days. After several hours a guy comes up to the man and says "Excuse me but are you Roy Keane's father by any chance?".

Turned out he was and my grandfather asked him would he mind if he brought his grandson to meet him the following evening as I was a huge Roy Keane fan. Mr Keane was happy to accommodate so I ended up meeting Mr and Mrs Keane the following night. Lovely people, very friendly etc.

I asked them if there was any way they could get me a signed picture of the man himself. They said no problem, took my address and sure enough a few weeks later I get a signed picture in the post saying "To David, Best Wishes - Roy Keane"

Treasured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

NTMK wrote: »
    Given that united employ 800 staff full time.
    40% of them sure as **** dont work at carington the training facility its less than 100

most of their staff are commercial

haha ive been there before and seen how big the place is. only 100 and most of the staff are commercial?! you don't have a clue

Cleverly will either sink or swim under LVG. I'll give the lad a clean slate for next season, he's mobile and might suit the philosophy. I think Carrick might struggle big time next year. I'm a fan and have been for a while but he is getting on now and I can see him struggling for games this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ryan Giggs walked past me in a supermarket in Puerto Banus in 2010. I was over there during the World Cup.

Myself and a United supporting mate were standing in the queue for the checkout, he was in front of me looking back, I looked up and saw a look on his face like the World was about to end, I turned around and saw Giggsy walking past with his family. He looked over at us but had a puzzled look on his face, which was probably because the two of us were stood there like this:

4784374_orig.gif

Went back and told the other lads, they said "Did you say anything to him?", the official line was "Nah, didn't want to bother him when he was with his family like." :p I've met a lot of footballers, shared a lift with Dwight Yorke in London and wished him good luck at the World Cup (2006) but have never been starstruck before, until I saw Giggs and couldn't move.

haha ive been there before and seen how big the place is. only 100 and most of the staff are commercial?! you don't have a clue

I was under the impression the commercial team worked out of OT. The only offices at Carrington are managers and coaches and also the charity foundation staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the 'staff' united talk about includes players and coaches etc. When you look at the first team, reserves, U18 and then the youth sides below that - and in the coaches, physios and tech staff - then the clerical/admin and catering staff at carrignton etc and I would say you have easily a lot more than 100.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Cleverly will either sink or swim under LVG. I'll give the lad a clean slate for next season, he's mobile and might suit the philosophy. I think Carrick might struggle big time next year. I'm a fan and have been for a while but he is getting on now and I can see him struggling for games this year

I was thinking Fellaini might play the most. Can see him flourishing under VG.
    Carrick has compleltely lost his pace, and seems to be very slow in making decisions when on the ball.
    Cleverly I don't like. Never rated him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I met Roy Keane's old lad one time.

I met Guardiola when I was 12 at the airport in Barcelona. There's our Munich contact sorted...

Kross is signing on Friday at 1pm. Thanks Pep, old pal.

I was under the impression the commercial team worked out of OT. The only offices at Carrington are managers and coaches and also the charity foundation staff.

commercial staff are mainly based in london (and Hong Kong now too I think).

the 'staff' united talk about includes players and coaches etc. When you look at the first team, reserves, U18 and then the youth sides below that - and in the coaches, physios and tech staff - then the clerical/admin and catering staff at carrignton etc and I would say you have easily a lot more than 100.

security staff, maintenance staff, medical staff, then grass cutters and general staff there is on average around 300-350 daily at carrington

I was thinking Fellaini might play the most. Can see him flourishing under VG.
    Carrick has compleltely lost his pace, and seems to be very slow in making decisions when on the ball.
    Cleverly I don't like. Never rated him.

Yeah it might suit him, I think honestly it's difficult to pick till we see the final squad. Who comes in will dictate who out of those 3 will play the most.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Got a private tour of OT from Martin Edwards. Ergo, I am now inside the circle.

Who wants in....

• Advertisement

Who wants in....

Did he show you the bathroom?:eek:

• duffman13 wrote: »

Cleverly could easily be added to the outgoing players list...I think 1 more season max

Yeah it might suit him, I think honestly it's difficult to pick till we see the final squad. Who comes in will dictate who out of those 3 will play the most.

If it's Kroos that comes in, I would think Carrick's days at OT are numbered.

Cleverley, like Welbeck, I'd be shocked to see leave.

Adaptable players, will do as they are told (tactically, positionally) and not terrible on the ball - home grown as well, which is important.

Who wants in....

Do you need to talk to someone...?

:D

Who wants in....

Ah he is no use anymore. My uncle had a scholarship in the states and roomed with Joel Glazer* That's the real inner circle

*this may or may not be utter nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So, with all this flourishing going on, could we see something like this?
    De Gea
    Rafael - Jones/Smalling/Evans - New CB - Shaw
    Fellaini - Mata - Kroos
    Muller
    - RVP - Rooney/Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fellaini - i honestly think he will come good.

he has been appalling for us and a shocking signing, but he is much better than what he is showing. a good WC and i think it will be the making of him and hopefully, playing in a non struggling side will also make a difference.

Cleverley, like Welbeck, I'd be shocked to see leave.

Adaptable players, will do as they are told (tactically, positionally) and not terrible on the ball - home grown as well, which is important.

Cleverly has always seemed lightweight, and a bit timid. I can't see LVG being too impressed with him at all.
    I would not be surprised if he's sold during the summer.

If it's Kroos that comes in, I would think Carrick's days at OT are numbered.

As a first team player, yeah - but who plays if Kroos is injured, suspended or in need of a rest. Carrick is the only central midfielder of that ilk at United. Worth keeping as a squad player. Would move Fellaini and even Fletcher on before Carrick.

Maybe LVG will take a look at Pearson, had a great season for the reserves - combative midfielder with a good eye for a pass (at that level, who knows if he will make the massive leap up)

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Cleverly could easily be added to the outgoing players list...I think 1 more season max

He could be, I'm not a fan, wasn't even good enough at Wigan however enough managers have rated him so maybe there is something LVG can get out of him. I agree about this being his last chance

As a first team player, yeah - but who plays if Kroos is injured, suspended or in need of a rest. Carrick is the only central midfielder of that ilk at United. Worth keeping as a squad player. Would move Fellaini and even Fletcher on before Carrick.

Maybe LVG will take a look at Pearson, had a great season for the reserves - combative midfielder with a good eye for a pass (at that level, who knows if he will make the massive leap up)

It might be a year too early for Pearson. Although, at that age players can on leaps and bounds in short periods of time.

• Cleverley, like Welbeck, I'd be shocked to see leave.

I would love to see him succeed but nothing in the past season tells me he will.

I met eric cantona on a beach in Majorca around 10 years ago, shook hands with him and got an autograph still have it...turned out there was a beach soccer tournament on and he was managing France at it, went in to have a look.. Miguel angel Nadal was in the crowd as well

• As a first team player, yeah - but who plays if Kroos is injured, suspended or in need of a rest. Carrick is the only central midfielder of that ilk at United. Worth keeping as a squad player. Would move Fellaini and even Fletcher on before Carrick.

Aren't we not going to biding for more than 1 Attacking Midfielder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

No relation, although it's a nice story (which I believe I've told before years ago on boards).

Ah, yes - right enough:

That story sums up what I always imagined Roy to be...genuine, no spoof, no smiling for the sake of smiling and falseness, just a genuine fella who is true to what he believes in.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Aren't we not going to biding for more than 1 Attacking Midfielder?

We might bid for more than one, but I don't think we should really be expecting more than one to sign.

In all fairness, I would not be totally shocked if we still hadn't signed a midfielder come the transfer deadline day.

• keane2097 wrote: »
    Are you serious? I don't give a **** about google trends. Try not to explode when people make extremely tame jokes at your expense.

Hey, I initially took it as a joke but you were on the windup after that.

Lets just let it be..

Truce and all that. ;)

I met eric cantona on a beach in Majorca around 10 years ago, shook hands with him and got an autograph still have it...turned out there was a beach soccer tournament on and he was managing France at it, went in to have a look.. Miguel angel Nadal was in the crowd as well

2004 or 2005? I was at one of those myself actually, didn't meet anyone famous though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

lets go though the breakdown shall we
    Players - 82
    technical and coaching -76
    Commercial -125
    Media - 69
    Admin/other - 391

Wrong on the comercial figure ill admit. where are you getting 300-350 because united dont exactly need 150-200 between mantainence/groundkeeping/secuirity

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-reportsAnnual

page 91 for anyone intrested

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was travelling back from Krakow to Ireland during the volcano ash cloud a few years ago. Had to take a bus all the way from Krakow to London. While waiting for a connection, saw Marouane Fellaini passing me. Said "hello Marouane" and he said hello back. Nice guy. As he walked on, I told him he should join United in a few years.

He took my advice.

True story bros.

2004 or 2005? I was at one of those myself actually, didn't meet anyone famous though

it was brilliant, remember when I met cantona he was some size and it I was just in awe of him... very polite man as well.

Don't know id say it was around then... Vodafone sponsored it, best part was during the breaks when the hot Vodafone girls all came out and sprayed water on everyone (including themselves) to keep everyone cool..... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I met Ray Houghton......sigh......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was travelling back from Krakow to Ireland during the volcano ash cloud a few years ago. Had to take a bus all the way from Krakow to London. While waiting for a connection, saw Marouane Fellaini passing me. Said "hello Marouane" and he said hello back. Nice guy. As he walked on, I told him he should join United in a few years.

He took my advice.

True story bros.

ptngkpu.gif

it was brilliant, remember when I met cantona he was some size and it I was just in awe of him... very polite man as well.

Don't know id say it was around then... Vodafone sponsored it, best part was during the breaks when the hot Vodafone girls all came out and sprayed water on everyone (including themselves) to keep everyone cool..... :D:D

I was there in 2004, so no cantona, have the programme still. Cantona took over the following year I think. It was in Santa Ponsa in 05. Not the best sport in the world though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Met Beckham at a book signing many moons ago. Really friendly guy. I think I just stood there gawping at him( I would have been 10 max). Met Paul McGrath at the airport on the way to watch United play West Ham. Had a bit of a chat with him about the match and got an autograph. Met Keane at the airport along with most of the irish team after the draw in Holland in the qualifiers for the 2002 WC. He was really friendly to me and the mother. Still had this aura of not taking any crap around him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I met Ray Houghton......sigh......:(

I was buying a music cassette (remember those?) about 20 years ago in a music shop and Gordon Strachan was standing behind me.

He's tiny.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    ptngkpu.gif

Ah, Lemongrab, what a nutcase!

I was there in 2004, so no cantona, have the programme still. Cantona took over the following year I think. It was in Santa Ponsa in 05. Not the best sport in the world though

was funny to see him on the line...he was very animated and every so often would jump out of his seat and go mental at one of his players....maybe the heat was getting to him :pac:

I was buying a music cassette (remember those?) about 20 years ago in a music shop and Gordon Strachan was standing behind me.

He's tiny.

Ah, lemongrab, what a nutcase!

That reminds me, that amount of times I've seen Brian Kerr jogging around Tymon park. Always manages a hello before he nearly passes out

I was on a plane to Newcastle and niall Quinn was on it when he was sunderland chairman, was funny as everyone else was normal height his head stuck about a foot over the seat as he was so tall!! I asked him when we landed did sunderland need any wingers as I was available...he just laughed and said not at the minute!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement