Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Song could be got for 10-15 million and would be an upgrade on all our midfielders i don't know how anybody could not want him. Obviously we would still need at least a world class midfielder also. But Song would be a no brainer.

Like how he set the world alight Saturday when he came on - the Barca fans in the pub were flabbergasted. And saying he'd be an upgrade on the current bunch - Lee Cattermole would be an upgrade on whats there at the moment, so that statement doesn't hold any water. He is not a world class player, he never was, he never will be - and it's world class players that are needed to turn this thing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Alex Song is Barcalona's Tom Cleverly. Nobody is quite sure how he managed to get in to the club to begin with, but now that he has, he's content to stay.

In saying that, Song to United would be a good move given how ****e our team is in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    I was on a plane to Newcastle and niall Quinn was on it when he was sunderland chairman, was funny as everyone else was normal height his head stuck about a foot over the seat as he was so tall!! I asked him when we landed did sunderland need any wingers as I was available...he just laughed and said not at the minute!!

I'd say so yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was on a plane to Newcastle and niall Quinn was on it when he was sunderland chairman, was funny as everyone else was normal height his head stuck about a foot over the seat as he was so tall!! I asked him when we landed did sunderland need any wingers as I was available...he just laughed and said not at the minute!!

In line with the rest of your posts today, I was expecting this part to read like:

"he laughed and said, sure I'm on my way to the training ground if you fancy a quick trial! So I went along and nutmegged Titus Bramble before scoring 3 hat-tricks and winning World Cup Pick-A-Partner with Liam Lawrence. But I didn't sign because I had a better offer form Turin."

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    In line with the rest of your posts today, I was expecting this part to read like:

"he laughed and said, sure I'm on my way to the training ground if you fancy a quick trial! So I went along and nutmegged Titus Bramble before scoring 3 hat-tricks and winning World Cup Pick-A-Partner with Liam Lawrence. But I didn't sign because I had a better offer form Turin."

;)

no I was on my way to a stag and was half drunk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I've got it!

You met Niall Quinn, who gave you a trial at Sunderland, where you met the mighty John O'She and Wes Brown who are both former United players, who then decided to have a kick about with the Class of '92 for the craic like, and they brought you because you were 'the next-next Ronaldo' and while you were up in Manchester you met the tea lady! The tea lady is the source! It all makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

....and then i banged that stripper off twitter....Fergo or something is her name. and her fit mate joined in the following morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"he laughed and said, sure I'm on my way to the training ground if you fancy a quick trial! So I went along and nutmegged Titus Bramble before scoring 3 hat-tricks and winning World Cup Pick-A-Partner with Liam Lawrence. but i couldnt sign coz you have to be over 18 so he said to come back in ten years"

;)

FYP. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Any new news on the Toni Kroos advancements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A lot of you in here are a bunch of lousy ****ers. I once met Bruce Springsteen. Does that make me a lier all of a sudden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I met Paul Scholes. My boss was involved in a charity ball and Scholes was the special guest. Boss picked him up from the airport and asked me would I like to collect him from his hotel on the Sunday morning and drive him to the airport. One of the most down to earth people I've ever met. Dropped him the wife and a couple of friends of his back. Chatted the whole way from Powerscourt to Airport. Get to the airport and he asked did I have anything to get signed (I had 2 copies of his book and a jersey in the boot :D) Also had no problem getting a photo taken, his mate took a couple to make sure they turned out. A proper gentleman and a very knowledgeable and humble. Only pity was it was before he came out of retirement, wish he had have dropped that into conversation, would have cleaned PassyPower out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

A lot of you in here are a bunch of lousy ****ers. I once met Bruce Springsteen. Does that make me a lier all of a sudden?

No but you could be a liar...... sorry had to do it :pac:

Also insulting us sexy posters is a cardable offense.

Depends. Did the two of you go on a week long bender in Las Vegas and do coke off hookers' backs before he brought you on stage to shred his guitar, or did he just say hi and give you an autograph?

My cousin actually met Paul Scholes, Alex Ferguson, Jesper Blompvist (or whatever his name was spelt, and Gary Neville at some do on here in Ireland. He was only a kid. Got in a picture with all of them too. Think Yorke was there too but it's been so long since I seen the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Any new news on the Toni Kroos advancements

Yep he's signing Friday at 1pm!

Depends. Did the two of you go on a week long bender in Las Vegas and do coke off hookers' backs before he brought you on stage to shred his guitar, or did he just say hi and give you an autograph?
    Well no, my cousin & I queued in the hotel he was staying at for several hours to get in a picture with him. We did and were delighted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

when one person spews the amount of stuff that a certain poster has you'd doubt anything he says...

no one else has been called a liar :p

RichFTW wrote: »
    Yep he's signing Friday at 1pm!

Im just gonna presume your not taking the piss for the sake of my happiness :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hey, I initially took it as a joke but you were on the windup after that.

Lets just let it be..

Truce and all that. ;)

On the windup by suggesting your google search history contained an over-abundance of the word "balls".

I don't think I've ever met anyone who would be wound by that before now. I guess I crossed the line, either that or you are taking the internet too seriously. Shalom either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I banged a young one in Manchester who said she went to school with Phil Bardsley. United beat Sunderland 1 nil, Saha scored aswell that day.

Am I doing it right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have reread all your posts and I actually think I know who you are.

Exhibit A.

article-2008637-0CC1A6D300000578-80_634x420_zpsdfda4be2.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary?> Wrong. Using photograph-enhancing programs, I can augment parts of the picture to reveal a figure behind the boiler-room door.

article-2008637-0CC1A6D300000578-80_634x4201_zpsf2d59361.jpg

You are the boiler maintenace guy at the hospital where United used do their medical.

THAT'S where you used to get your info.

THAT'S why your recent predictions haven't been great.

THAT'S why your clutching at straws.

Your Honour, I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Im just gonna presume your not taking the piss for the sake of my happiness :P

No no Guardiola told me himself back in 1998/99 ish. I remember it was a bit weird at the time considering he was predicting the future but then again I could suddenly understand Spanish when he spoke so I just accepted it.

It's all about the contacts.

• keane2097 wrote: »
    On the windup by suggesting your google search history contained an over-abundance of the word "balls".

I don't think I've ever met anyone who would be wound by that before now. I guess I crossed the line, either that or you are taking the internet too seriously. Shalom either way.
    It has nothing to do with google search history, it's common search terms that goggle stores historically.
    It has nothing to do with what I am looking up or have been in the past.

In fairness your still debating this and I tried to let it go, and it's getting a bit embarrassing now. Can we discuss on PM?

Thanks.

non football story while im at it...anyone been to new York will know Greenwich Village... well was walking down the street with 2 friends and seen 2 guys smoking on the side of the street... thought one of them looked like bono but said nothing, then one of the lads said theres bono and I said yea I thought it was.... some guy presume his minder or manager or something then said to us yea its bono but don't disturb him, as there was loads of press in the area and they didn't want a scene to be made. anyway bono got up with the other guy we said hello bono he said hello back and walked into a restaurant. we waited about 5 min and then said f*** it we would go in and see if we could get a pic. when we walked in he was sitting with another male and Penelope Cruz but they were getting up to leave so we went outside again. when they came out I got a picture taken of Penelope cruz and got my picture taken with Bono!! few years later I was looking back at the pictures and only noticed the other guy was Javier Bardem!! suppose he wasn't as famous back then as he is now

non football story while im at it...anyone been to new York will know Greenwich Village... well was walking down the street with 2 friends and seen 2 guys smoking on the side of the street... thought one of them looked like bono but said nothing, then one of the lads said theres bono and I said yea I thought it was.... some guy presume his minder or manager or something then said to us yea its bono but don't disturb him, as there was loads of press in the area and they didn't want a scene to be made. anyway bono got up with the other guy we said hello bono he said hello back and walked into a restaurant. we waited about 5 min and then said f*** it we would go in and see if we could get a pic. when we walked in he was sitting with another male and Penelope Cruz but they were getting up to leave so we went outside again. when they came out I got a picture taken of Penelope cruz and got my picture taken with Bono!! few years later I was looking back at the pictures and only noticed the other guy was Javier Bardem!! suppose he wasn't as famous back then as he is now

How old was he? 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Post up the pics or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Hey man....you should change your username to Pyongyang.....that or Forrest Gump!

It has nothing to do with google search history, it's common search terms that goggle stores historically.
    It has nothing to do with what I am looking up or have been in the past.

In fairness your still debating this and I tried to let it go, and it's getting a bit embarrassing now. Can we discuss on PM?

Thanks.

I don't care, I don't know how many more ways I can tell you you are over analysing and being bizarrely sensitive about what was a tame (and crap) joke.

In the words of LuckyLloyd, this really seems like a you problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Around about 97 or 98 we went on a school trip to Rome and Sorrento. While we were in Sorrento we went on a day trip to Capri. As soon as we got off the boat and made our way up the pier one of the teachers spots none other than Roy Keane. About 35 young irish lads charged towards him. He was a little shocked at first but said hello to eveyone and got into a group photo with us. Didnt have too much of a chat with him but he seemed bang on.

statto25 wrote: »
    Post up the pics or GTFO

whats the point? sure I could just get any picture off google or my own pic and you wouldn't know..

• Advertisement

I banged a young one in Manchester who said she went to school with turns out she was Phil Bardsley's sister. United beat Sunderland 1 nil, Saha scored aswell that day.

Then me, saha, bardsley and zaha all got drunk and scored the managers daughter

Am I doing it right?

FYP
    Way more believeable now...

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't care, I don't know how many more ways I can tell you you are over analysing and being bizarrely sensitive about what was a tame (and crap) joke.

Regardless of all that, I think it's pretty clear at this point that he has been searching for the word "balls" a lot. No disrespect to Mick of course, each their own. :pac:

In other news, looks like our Garay, is moving to Zenit after signing for us about 6 times

• keane2097 wrote: »

I have no problem so stop suggesting that I do. Your the one that keeps raving on about it. Its done. End of.

I have no problem so stop suggesting that I do. Your the one that keeps raving on about it. Its done. End of.

Ok

@mick and keane
    you pair have been talking some amount of "balls" for the days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

If we are still doing I met stories, my uncle was a business partner of sorts with Roy Keane, so he used to over a few times a year and get me autographs of all the players in the players lounge after the game. I went over once with him, I was 12 I think and Keane met us in manchester and drove us to a pub near his house with my uncles friend and his daughter. Spent about 4 hours there he even bought me a coke! I basically just sat there the entire time amazed, thought it was a dream. He was incredibly nice, I even had him sign an entire autograph book embarrassingly. The uncle's friend's daughter was obsessed with beckham and asked him if they would meet up outside training and Keane laughed and said no he's not the type I'd be friends with. That afternoon made my childhood

ician wrote: »
    If we are still doing I met stories, my uncle was a business partner of sorts with Roy Keane, so he used to over a few times a year and get me autographs of all the players in the players lounge after the game. I went over once with him, I was 12 I think and Keane met us in manchester and drove us to a pub near his house with my uncles friend and his daughter. Spent about 4 hours there he even bought me a coke! I basically just sat there the entire time amazed, thought it was a dream. He was incredibly nice, I even had him sign an entire autograph book embarrassingly. The uncle's friend's daughter was obsessed with beckham and asked him if they would meet up outside training and Keane laughed and said no he's not the type I'd be friends with. That afternoon made my childhood

yea i've heard that from a few people about keane not being chummy with beckham, but he wasn't overly chummy with most united players, which he's entitled to be, i'd not friends with most people i work with so i could see where he comes from on that..
    but i've always heard that an irish person he met in manchester was warmly greeted and he wasn't in any way stand offish at all

In fairness, Keane has always been quite complimentary of Beckham as a pro as far as I know (and rightly so). You can see how they mightn't be bosom buddies outside of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

keane2097 wrote: »
    In fairness, Keane has always been quite complimentary of Beckham as a pro as far as I know (and rightly so). You can see how they mightn't be bosom buddies outside of work.

Ah no I'd say Roy tagged along to Spice Girls concerts all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

http://balls.ie/football/interesting-story-about-ryan-giggs-role-in-man-united-not-signing-thiago-alcantara/

Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently Giggs was the reason we turned down Thiago. If true, im disgusted he's part of LVGs coaching set up. What a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/football/interesting-story-about-ryan-giggs-role-in-man-united-not-signing-thiago-alcantara/

Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently Giggs was the reason we turned down Thiago. If true, im disgusted he's part of LVGs coaching set up. What a tool.

I'd say even Bangkok is more reliable than Ian McGarry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I got onto Carles there and he confirmed bangkok's story. Bet you lads feel bad now.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

what? when did it come out that united turned him down. didn't he choose bayern over united.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Not sure if it's been posted, but here's Van Gaal speaking about his appointment with United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

He used the word Hope. next thing youll hear will be "we'll try"

Moyes Van gaal Out

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I turned around and saw Giggsy walking past with his family.

You sure it was his?

NTMK wrote: »
    He used the word Hope. next thing youll hear will be "we'll try"

Moyes Van gaal Out

:pac:

Despite the fact Moyes was a joke of a manager, I thought it was ridiculous when people were giving out to him for using words such as 'try' and 'hope'. I do agree he wasn't the best at handling the media and answering the questions like a proper Manchester united manager but still, using words like 'try' and 'hope' doesn't mean he's a bad manager.

I am pretty sure i have heard Sir Alex use the word try and hope when asked about the upcoming fixtures, so its not a moyes thing. People need to get over the use of that word and just wait and enjoy when van gaal absolutely destroys the british journos during the conferences :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So all these stories of meeting famous people and not 1 picture yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Despite the fact Moyes was a joke of a manager, I thought it was ridiculous when people were giving out to him for using words such as 'try' and 'hope'. I do agree he wasn't the best at handling the media and answering the questions like a proper Manchester united manager but still, using words like 'try' and 'hope' doesn't mean he's a bad manager.

I am pretty sure i have heard Sir Alex use the word try and hope when asked about the upcoming fixtures, so its not a moyes thing. People need to get over the use of that word and just wait and enjoy when van gaal absolutely destroys the british journos during the conferences :)

Using it every now and again is ok.

The problem with Moyes was it was after every match, after every transfer problem, after everything. Try and hope is grand when it comes through every now and again, but Moyes never carried out what he was trying to do, thus no one had any faith in his hopes.

Saying we will try and win the league is different than "we will try and make it hard for Newcastle to beat us"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement