Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• thelad95 wrote: »
    How much was Roy Keane?

Paid forrest just over 4 million euro I think which was alot at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

thelad95 wrote: »
    How much was Roy Keane?

The then British record transfer fee. A shit load in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Kroos didn't want to stay at Bayern there would have been more smoke by now. Without ever being able to know exactly what is going on you have to imagine and the rumours from Germany suggest that he does want to stay at Bayern Munich albeit with an improved offer.

The only quote we have from his agent is:
    Wir werden seit Monaten mit den unterschiedlichsten Gerüchten konfrontiert, werden uns aber weiter nicht dazu äußern. Momentan glaube ich aber, dass Toni mindestens bis 2015 bei Bayern spielt.

Which basically means that his agent sees him staying at Bayern at least until the end of his current deal. The whole rumour originates from a Daily Mirror article in April that we offered him better terms. I'm sure we have tried to contact him and Bayern to get a deal done, along with probably a host of other clubs, but along with a host of other reasons there is very little attracting him to Old Trafford at the minute bar maybe working with Louis van Gaal. We have no Champions League football to offer, no immediate title prospects, all we have over Bayern really is the fact that we would probably offer him more money.

It doesn't change the fact that this €300,000 a week contract offer that is being recycled through the press emanates from a Daily Mirror article. Are there any good sources carrying this story? It seems to me like its just a case of bored journalists putting two and two together and getting five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    They all turned out as well as they possibly could have, but the players were unknown quantities at the time. An established German international for 20m would be a steal.

Vidic and Evra were both full internationals when they signed for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

bangkok wrote: »
    Ronaldo 12m??

vidic 7m

evra 5.5

Evra was a key player for a team who reached the final of the Champions league. He was linked with all the top clubs in Europe and was a great signing for that fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Got a mention on sky sports news a few mins ago linking to the article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Signing Kroos would be amazeballs, but I be stunned if we get him on cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

FUTUREGUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Signing Kroos would be amazeballs, but I be stunned if we get him on cheap

Ed must be buying him in the dark,thinks he getting Toni Kroos ends up getting up getting Kroos brother :)

Seriously though,Would be a great bit of business if he is got that cheap.

If Kroos is available you'd have to assume that Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester City would all be in for him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

glued wrote: »
    If Kroos didn't want to stay at Bayern there would have been more smoke by now. Without ever being able to know exactly what is going on you have to imagine and the rumours from Germany suggest that he does want to stay at Bayern Munich albeit with an improved offer.

Which basically means that his agent sees him staying at Bayern at least until the end of his current deal. The whole rumour originates from a Daily Mirror article in April that we offered him better terms. I'm sure we have tried to contact him and Bayern to get a deal done, along with probably a host of other clubs, but along with a host of other reasons there is very little attracting him to Old Trafford at the minute bar maybe working with Louis van Gaal. We have no Champions League football to offer, no immediate title prospects, all we have over Bayern really is the fact that we would probably offer him more money.

It doesn't change the fact that this €300,000 a week contract offer that is being recycled through the press emanates from a Daily Mirror article. Are there any good sources carrying this story? It seems to me like its just a case of bored journalists putting two and two together and getting five.

Goway with your logic!
    tumblr_mnyp0hMGi11s6ns7wo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Giruilla wrote: »
    Looks like they're the only bookies taking bets though.

Unbelievable signing if it goes through

Sky Bet also offering odds, 1/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Surely as someone else said, other clubs MUST be interested in him??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

well said.

never happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Surely as someone else said, other clubs MUST be interested in him??

Maybe so. But would get in to the start XI of those teams? Not at Barca, Madrid or City. At United he'll get guarenteed 90mins week in, week out, plus Champions League football in a year.

I was wondering when the first shots in the media from Moyes would be fired... According to Ian McGarry, who would be very close to Moyes, Ryan Giggs was responsible for calling off the Thiago deal last summer. Ryan Giggs didn't think he was a Manchester United player.
    The group was around the table when Moyes asked each member of the staff what they thought of the then 22-year-old Spaniard.

“When he got to Giggsy, who was last, (Giggs) said, ‘Not a Manchester United player.’ And Moyes said, ‘Sorry I don’t know what you mean by that.’

“(Giggs) looked at Phil Neville, Phil sort of nodded, and said, ‘Look, playing for this club is more than being a footballer. It’s about your attitude. It’s about your mindset. It’s about everything that you want, everything in your body, every cell, has to want to live, play and win for Manchester United. I don’t think he’s a Manchester United player. And they immediately called off the transfer.”

Daniel Taylor reported that Moyes thought that Fellaini rather than Thiago was more suited to Manchester United so maybe the above quote was a response to Giggs leaking information about Moyes to the Guardian. It's hard to really work out. Giggs did come out of it badly in my view. He was clearly leaking information to the press about him being unhappy and it appeared that there was unrest in the camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Maybe so. But would get in to the start XI of those teams? Not at Barca, Madrid or City. At United he'll get guarenteed 90mins week in, week out, plus Champions League football in a year.

Xavi will be gone soon. Think Kroos could take his place. Toure could leave City so he could go there instead. Madrid love a big signing any time so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Sorry if posted already, Scholes giving his two cents:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27517443

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

The thing is IF he is available and no other clubs seem interested MAYBE its because he has decided he wants the Utd move and theres just no point in other clubs coming in? His agent could have let them know that a deal is going to be agreed and he wants the move? Just a theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I was wondering when the first shots in the media from Moyes would be fired... According to Ian McGarry, who would be very close to Moyes, Ryan Giggs was responsible for calling off the Thiago deal last summer. Ryan Giggs didn't think he was a Manchester United player.

Daniel Taylor reported that Moyes thought that Fellaini rather than Thiago was more suited to Manchester United so maybe the above quote was a response to Giggs leaking information about Moyes to the Guardian. It's hard to really work out. Giggs did come out of it badly in my view. He was clearly leaking information to the press about him being unhappy and it appeared that there was unrest in the camp.
    Jesus, if that's true then I take back what I said a few weeks ago about Giggs being worth a shot as manager. Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Interesting article by Scholes. He was never half this outspoken as a player!

He seems to favour signing Kroos as well which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

These stories are all bull. Thiago said himself that he choose Bayern, that United was never an option.

It's not like we had him ready to be unveiled and Giggs walks into the room and everyone just stops and takes his word.

Macca07 wrote: »
    These stories are all bull. Thiago said himself that he choose Bayern, that United was never an option.

It's not like we had him ready to be unveiled and Giggs walks into the room and everyone just stops and takes his word.

Everybody's favourite Journalist here, Daniel Taylor, reported that Moyes pulled out of the Thiago deal as he preferred Fellaini. Although that makes no sense as we let Fellaini's buy out clause expire.

Seems to me like Daniel Taylor at the very least is lying about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos for 20m ?

WILL YA GWAAYYYYYY

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Kroos for 20m ?

WILL YA GWAAYYYYYY

This time next year he is on a free, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also that Giggs story was bull****.

It was very obvious that Pep had spoken to Thisgi before he left and we were used as a plaything to help him force a move through.

That we canned the deal is behind stupid...he choose Bayern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"It was the same with Michael Ballack [before his free transfer to Chelsea in 2006], we withdrew our offer at one point," he said. "Kroos is under contract until 2015.

"There will certainly be more talks. But eventually the player has to say what he wants. We will not overstep certain financial limits."

The new Bayern president then reiterated that the existing contract offer will not be increased.

"That's the state of play, no question," he said.

When asked whether Bayern would be willing to sell Kroos should they receive a substantial offer, Hopfner added: "I don't know. Everything changes so fast sometimes."

Link to Article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Kroos for 20m ?

WILL YA GWAAYYYYYY

in 7 months time they can sign him on a free transfer for next summer so yes 20m is a fair deal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Anyone else getting the impression that the club / Woodward have done something to piss Scholes off? Perhaps snubbing him for a staff role?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    £20M doesn't seem crazy low at all considering he's in the last year of his contract and seems to want to leave. £30M would be too big a fee really, notwithstanding the fact that United need a CM so badly they should almost have a blank cheque ready.

well we did pay £16million for Young and £24million for RVP both in similiar circumstances.

considering we have no CL football, he is a world class player, he is playing for Bayern, then £20m is an excellent price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I suppose with our current lowly situation there is room for some fairly substantial add ons to that reported 20m which maybe would work out better for Bayern than a cash up front deal....eg. get back in top 4, win title, win a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Do the club have to wait until July 1st to announce any signings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Anyone else getting the impression that the club / Woodward have done something to piss Scholes off? Perhaps snubbing him for a staff role?

I'm not sure it's great for the club with all the ex players getting to have their two cents in the media. Somebody like Scholes has a lot of sway with fans so if he's making comments because he's pissed off rather than because he believes in what he is saying, then it's pretty bad form. It's not just Scholes though, the whole Class of 92 can influence the thinking of a lot of fans, which isn't ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

irishfeen wrote: »
    Do the club have to wait until July 1st to announce any signings?

No. The transfer can't be completed until July 1st, but it can be announced at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thelad95 wrote: »
    How much was Roy Keane?

broke the transfer record at the time....£3.75m but this must be put in relation to how much money was in the game at the time.

put it into context - our turnover then was around £24million, its topping £400m now.

so in other words, the Roy keane transfer would be worth about £50million nowadays.

• Advertisement

Also that Giggs story was bull****.

It was very obvious that Pep had spoken to Thisgi before he left and we were used as a plaything to help him force a move through.

That we canned the deal is behind stupid...he choose Bayern.

Well Moyes is suggesting that Giggs canned the deal and Daniel Taylor, via Giggs, is suggesting that we canned it because Moyes preferred Fellaini over Thaigo. I know what Thiago said to the press but it seems as if there was some talks with Manchester United. Bayern just seemed to swoop in and get him late in the day.

Pep also left Barcelona one year before this transfer. Are you suggesting that he spoke as manager of Barcelona to Thiago and told him that he'd sign him for Bayern? That's completely far-fetched. I'd agree that we were probably used as a benchmark for wages in the same way that we're going to be d1cked around with Kroos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pep also left Barcelona one year before this transfer. Are you suggesting that he spoke as manager of Barcelona to Thiago and told him that he'd sign him for Bayern? That's completely far-fetched. I'd agree that we were probably used as a benchmark for wages in the same way that we're going to be d1cked around with Kroos.

Pep was announced as coach in January 2013, he told Bayern the players he wanted and they started working on it from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I'm not sure it's great for the club with all the ex players getting to have their two cents in the media. Somebody like Scholes has a lot of sway with fans so if he's making comments because he's pissed off rather than because he believes in what he is saying, then it's pretty bad form. It's not just Scholes though, the whole Class of 92 can influence the thinking of a lot of fans, which isn't ideal.

Which is the reason LVG won't have these guys on board. They would be at odds with his plans, right or wrong. Giggs too may fit into that group, but time will tell whether LVG will get on with Giggs or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I believe United will sign Kroos, and it will be something we can thank David Moyes for, just like how we can thank him for wanting Mata.
    I think David Moyes would still be in a job at United if he had got players in last summer.

Bayern can look atDortmund and say 'what good did it do Borussia Dortmund waiting a year for Lewandowski to go on a free transfer? They won nothing from it'.
    I think Pep will want to rebuild Bayern a bit so he doesn't face humiliation if he comes up against Real Madrid again next season. So if Kroos is going to be leaving, then why keep him when it is something for the future one should rebuild a team with.

Some say £20 million is cheap, others the right price with a year to go. I think it is cheap and maybe for one reason - Kroos may only want the move to United and not a Barcelona or Real Madrid where competition is stronger.
    There are four big teams in Europe in terms of prestige - United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. You then have lesser prestigious teams and the money teams...
    United with a woeful midfield is an obvious choice for Kroos. It is not a step down by joining United. His talent means that currently there is no competition for him if he wants to play lots.

An excellent passer of the ball, both long and short and who can tackle and score goals. £20 million would be a bargain.

Well Moyes is suggesting that Giggs canned the deal...

Wait, has Moyes commented on this? Also Giggs wouldn't have had the power to can the deal; Moyes was manager so the final decision was his.

• Advertisement

• Interesting article by Scholes. He was never half this outspoken as a player!

He seems to favour signing Kroos as well which is good news.

It's a good read from Scholes.

Credit too him, He didn't need to be outspkoen as a player. Did his stuff on the pitch.

• Wait, has Moyes commented on this? Also Giggs wouldn't have had the power to can the deal; Moyes was manager so the final decision was his.

I agree.

Giggs had the power to 'can the deal' as a player? Not likely.

Wait, has Moyes commented on this? Also Giggs wouldn't have had the power to can the deal; Moyes was manager so the final decision was his.

I meant that his input canned the deal. Of course he wouldn't of had the power to do that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lessons were learned too late for Moyes, getting Mata showed a lot of progress compared to last summer's efforts.
    It would give one great hope for this transfer window.

I meant that his input canned the deal. Of course he wouldn't of had the power to do that himself.

See though, that is different. Also, is the idea now that Moyes asked a load of people, everyone said yes, Giggs said no, and Moyes ignored everyone else?

Regardless, it was Moyes calls he could have ignored Giggs and made the decision himself, especially given he had far, far more experience in the field.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    FUTUREGUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

We are not signing Ton...oh sorry, I have a meeting now.

That Scholes interview....I'm surprised more hasn't been made of his comments on Rooney.
    Scholes continued to say that Roy Hodgson could consider dropping him this summer, with challenges for his place up front from the likes of Daniel Sturridge.

"I’m not saying Wayne needs to be dropped but if form doesn’t get up to scratch in the warm-ups, or in the first game of the World Cup, it’ll be interesting to see if the England management team has the balls to make that decision," he said.

"We have quality forwards in the squad this time. That should give Wayne the competition he needs to spur him on a little more.

"To get the very best from Wayne in Rio, the manager needs to tell him: ‘Don’t bother running back. Stay up top. Stay centre forward. Score goals. That’s your job in my team."

Scholes predicted that Rooney could struggle to hold down a first-team spot at United next season too.

"It’ll be interesting next season with Louis van Gaal at Manchester United and how he decides to play Wayne," he said. "It looks like it might come to a straight choice between Wayne and Robin van Persie."

I'm actually surprised the media haven't started the Rooney vs RVP debate yet; it writes itself and usually is a good seller for them...that line especially is telling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Daily Mail still treating is absolute fact that United have signed Kroos - have a piece from Martin Keown talking about what a good signing he is.

I wish somewhere else were also reporting this from their own sources. Ducker, Taylor, Ogden, Landyman.... come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

"Bayern Munich president Karl Hopfner says the club will not make Toni Kroos a new contract offer." Via ESPNFC.

Is it happening? Is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That Scholes interview....I'm surprised more hasn't been made of his comments on Rooney.

I'm actually surprised the media haven't started the Rooney vs RVP debate yet; it writes itself and usually is a good seller for them...that line especially is telling...

Was reading a coaching interview with Van Gaal from back in 2006, where he talks about the number 10. On the one hand they need to be the creative hub of the team - but on the other they need to work hard, close down well and be capable of dropping into midfield incase the midfield three are set up defensively (with a DM) as opposed to offensively (with an AM). Rooney would fit the work ethic, closing down, tackling requirements.

Its a very interesting document - goes through formations, playing style, long ball vs short, high press vs deep defensive line, 442 vs 433 - an excellent read.

http://www.ncsoccer.org/docs/education/coaches/u19_objective_creates_exercise.pdf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement