Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Konoplyanka to Utd seems to be gathering pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »
    At least a new winger looks more likely: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/23/manchester-united-move-yevhen-konoplyanka-ukraine-winger-dnipro

Seems like he prefers United over Liverpool.

Who would blame him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This better not happen because I can't pronounce that. Januzaj seems to cause people enough problems and that's relatively straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Konoplyanka to Utd seems to be gathering pace.

we said that about mccarthy 2 hours ago :pac:
    its not even june yet:(

NTMK wrote: »
    we said that about mccarthy 2 hours ago :pac:
    its not even june yet:(

I read back in Jan an article when we were linked to him, and I am nearly sure it mentioned Van Gaal as scouting him as a youth when he was at Bayern.
    I cant for the life of me find the article.:(

if true he is definitely a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This better not happen because I can't pronounce that. Januzaj seems to cause people enough problems and that's relatively straight forward.

If Liverpool signed him fans would insist on using his full name.Yevhen Olehovych Konoplyanka:pac:

If Liverpool signed him fans would insist on using his full name.Yevhen Olehovych Konoplyanka:pac:

:confused:

his surname is close enough to monopoly wanker for me to go with that :pac:

ive called players worse things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Konoplyanka could be a great success or another Lamela who I thought was going to be very good

His transfer fee will be low though so not too much risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Konoplyanka could be a great success or another Lamela who I thought was going to be very good

His transfer fee will be low though so not too much risk.

Excluding Januzaj, he can't be any worse than our current first team wingers.

Falcao is the latest name being touted,now if we do buy a striker who to go for,him or Cavani?
    Can't see the Chelsea link as they have Costa pretty much wrapped up.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/477709/Monaco-prepared-to-discuss-35m-Radamel-Falcao-deal-with-Chelsea-Man-Utd-and-City

Yesterday Skybet had the odds at 1/4 for Toni Kroos to join, today they are at 1/6 :pac:

• zerks wrote: »
    Falcao is the latest name being touted,now if we do buy a striker who to go for,him or Cavani?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/477709/Monaco-prepared-to-discuss-35m-Radamel-Falcao-deal-with-Chelsea-Man-Utd-and-City

Buying another striker :confused:

Seems like madness.

Falcao...

Would love him but can't see us signing him unless he is Champions league adverse, which looking at his career one could make a case for...

The Express does great accurate reporting by the way, they reported last September that November would have temperatures in the UK down to -20C...
    They don't do sensationalism :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

No way we are after a top striker. We can't even accommodate half the strikers that we currently have. And we play less games next season.

By the way, the bookies haven't changed their odds on kroos..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Da hell....being linked with Gervinho now? :pac:

No way we are after a top striker. We can't even accommodate half the strikers that we currently have. And we play less games next season.

Remember the Mata deal,the club and everyone else said it wasn't happening & boom he arrived at Carrington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Articles like this provide a really great filter for which sources you can dismiss out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Articles like this provide a really great filter for which sources you can dismiss out of hand.

Pro Tip: Trust ManUtd.com or BBC.co.uk. Honestly, it's better for your health.

Actually, didn't ManUtd.com say we signed Lewandowski last season? :pac:

• Advertisement

Two things:

In the "club after summer market" Bayern isn't even an option :o

Also, a market where you can't "lay" is flawed imo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Two things:

I would have more faith in bookies than tabloids.

Tabloids make money from creating sensationalist headlines.

Bookies make money by being accurate in their predictions.

Kroos going to United this summer is 1/10 on Betvictor at the moment. Im sure it was 1/6 yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

just checked there, odds on kroos yesterday was 1/6.....

today there is no market available...........................................

that's on paddy power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bangkok wrote: »
    just checked there, odds on kroos yesterday was 1/6.....

today there is no market available...........................................

that's on paddy power
    Whats your source reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

and odds to Barcelona have gone from 20-1 to 10-1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Two things:

Hear, hear!

Skybet were silly short on lots of targets in January, gladly would have taken the reverse if available
    Koke 1/2, Coleman 5/6, Fabregas 4/6, Reus 4/6... It was madness!

We aren't signing Kroos but I read an article yesterday where the case was being made that United don't want to piss off Bayern Munich, that yes they do want Kroos but United and Kroos don't want to antagonise the people who have the power to make a deal happen.

I have come to the opinion though, that Kroos is going nowhere for 12 months at least.

But I would still like a tasty line up that included Muller Reus...wingers who would rain goals against the opposition, pity they are going nowhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would have more faith in bookies than tabloids.

Tabloids make money from creating sensationalist headlines.

Kroos going to United this summer is 1/10 on Betvictor at the moment. Im sure it was 1/6 yesterday

Bookies , in actual fact, make money mainly on overround, of which there is generally a literal infinity in transfer related markets.

In most cases, you should certainly trust the bookies' opinion over anyone else's, but this is one of the rare other cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Bookies odds mean nothing. They're basically saying that if Kroos were to move this summer, Utd looks most likely. But staying at Bayern isn't an option, and clearly the most likely outcome here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bookies , in actual fact, make money mainly on overround, of which there is generally a literal infinity in transfer related markets.

In most cases, you should certainly trust the bookies' opinion over anyone else's, but this is one of the rare other cases.

I wouldn't take the 1/6 as that "real" price of United signing Kroos, but the bookies are smart enough not to push the price just because Kroos supposedly wants to stay at Bayern.

If there's any uncertainty, it benefits the bookie to err on the side of stingy prices caution.

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    Bookies odds mean nothing. They're basically saying that if Kroos were to move this summer, Utd looks most likely. But staying at Bayern isn't an option, and clearly the most likely outcome here.

Yes, but they are covering their arses with their current odds. Because they obviously think there's a decent chance it will happen. Otherwise, they'd be offering 5/1 to draw people into betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly much a misunderstanding of how bookmakers operate.
    Nowadays they are just another business operating under a buy low, sell high, 'know the market midprice' principle.

Very few go with the concept of 'accurate predictions', aka hunches.

They aren't covering their arses in the slightest. This is a market where the max bet they'll take is like 100 quid. It has no predictive power whatsoever.

Fairly much a misunderstanding of how bookmakers operate.
    Nowadays they are just another business operating under a buy low, sell high, 'know the market midprice' principle.

Very few go with the concept of 'accurate predictions', aka hunches.

They can just get their "accurate predictions" from Pinnacle and SBO for actual markets anyway. Player transfer markets are just a bit of auld craic for them - "sure drop Kroos in to 1/6 there and see can we get a few mugs to throw on 50 quid for the laugh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just saw that PSG buying luiz for £40 million off chelsea, crazy if its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

If Liverpool Football Club signed him fans would insist on using his full name.Yevhen Olehovych Konoplyanka:pac:

fyp

:)

Hococop wrote: »
    Just saw that PSG buying luiz for £40 million off chelsea, crazy if its true

Solid business for Chelsea if they can get a replacement. He's good but not 40m good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The CL final from 2008 is on Sky Sports 1. Great feckin day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wow some serious wrong understanding how bookies in thebfoitball market operate.

Their odds are reactionary to bets. They provide an initial price to which they calculate of rumour. Bookies have all to no sources in football clubs. At all.

Their odds inflate and deflate based on bets...betting patterns and volumes.

Larson was favourite yesterday for Celtic job. Based on only people betting lots of money. He has said he has no interest. He's not the favourite at all.

Bookies analysts will look at betting patterns and if they see a trend on something that's what adjusts pricing.

If we all took 20 quid and bet on someone 100/1 to sign for United....as we bet the odds would call. That's no indication the player is anywhere near signing...but a pattern being analysed that the bookies say "something going on here ".

As a matter of example...myself and the gang brought down the market on last year's late late toy show. Won't get into specifics...but the colour of jumper had one very clear favourite...we came in betting on something longer odds...but in amounts and quantities that the bookies say " they know something ". By close of betting the colour we had taken at long odds was joint favourite.

TheDoc wrote: »
    As a matter of example...myself and the gang brought down the market on last year's late late toy show. Won't get into specifics...but the colour of jumper had one very clear favourite...we came in betting on something longer odds...but in amounts and quantities that the bookies say " they know something ". By close of betting the colour we had taken at long odds was joint favourite.

you evil bastards:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Solid business for Chelsea if they can get a replacement. He's good but not 40m good....

Always amazes me how highly he's rated by some. He's a good footballer but as a central defender he's a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NTMK wrote: »
    you evil bastards:pac:

The lads who bet with paddy power were refused full payout. Why I hate the company and boycott them. Disgraceful penny pinchers.

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has turned down the chance to sign Feyenoord defender Stefan De Vrij for £6.5million.

Link Here

Is "LVG has turned down the chance to sign..." going to be used all summer as code for "We made up a story and now have decided to end it with an unprovable counter-story"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Any news of players on the way out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has turned down the chance to sign Feyenoord defender Stefan De Vrij for £6.5million.

Link Here

Is "LVG has turned down the chance to sign..." going to be used all summer as code for "We made up a story and now have decided to end it with an unprovable counter-story"...

Yes. I would also like to point out that turning down the chance to sign would imply that said player has/is signing for another club and was actually offered up to United like the cheap hoor they are before being told no.

If "journalists" start using the term and that player doesn't sign to a new contract or another club then we can all just weapon for journalism in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

case885 wrote: »

Most of them with any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

case885 wrote: »

Do you want this place too go into total meltdown??! Let's get 1or2 paraded in the Red Shirt or at least confirmed on ManUtd.com before we start selling lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Do you want this place too go into total meltdown??! Let's get 1or2 paraded in the Red Shirt or at least confirmed on ManUtd.com before we start selling lads!

I said any news, both are inevitable anyway just a matter of when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,474 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So Gervinho is looking for an improved contract too? I'm thinking of telling my boss that man utd are interested in me then I might get a pay rise too.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement