Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love when a fan of another club comes in and says something thinking they're going to get a reaction and... nothing, not a dickie bird :pac:

*must have missed it...goes back and checks....suspect is known to have said "we" about United in past....not to be taken serious;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If anybody can't see the invaluable experience Evra would offer a new full back then they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

He gave great experience last season alright.

on what not to ****ing do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Maybe we could use himself and some others as a way of training for the new recruits? Here's how we don't do it at Manchester United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

glued wrote: »
    If anybody can't see the invaluable experience Evra would offer a new full back then they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

We'll employ him as a left back coach then and he can show clips of himself from 5 years ago when he was the best in the world. That way he can focus all his experience on Buttner and Shaw.

Cause nothing he does on the pitch nowadays is worth knowing.

Ah come on. You're better than that. The guy is a leader and could offer any young full back great experience. He's the type of guy you try to keep at the club and hopefully he's offered a coaching role when he's done. Evra's demise has been vastly overrated. He's no longer a reliable option as the first choice but he'd be an excellent back up.

He's a fu*king legend too.

iCn6MOjdeRcSr.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Ah come on. You're better than that. The guy is a leader and could offer any young full back great experience. He's the type of guy you try to keep at the club and hopefully he's offered a coaching role when he's done. Evra's demise has been vastly overrated. He's no longer a reliable option as the first choice but he'd be an excellent back up.

iCn6MOjdeRcSr.gif

Exactly, with vidic and Ferdinand gone the last thing we needed was Evra going too, can't believe the slating he's getting on here, club legend and hopefully he stays for many years to come Evra's passion is exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Evras demise has not been over estimated. On the contrary it's a mystery that he managed to be picked for so many games over the last three seasons.

A total liability to the team who gave up the ghost when it comes to defending a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

If it's true that Fabregas is available this summer, would ye be confident that he'd pick ye over Arsenal?
    Understandably ye'd be viewed a the bigger club but could be one of those players who the whole no Europe thing deters away from signing. He could be keen on an Arsenal reunion depending on what he's looking for.

Will add serious strength to the starting 11 of whichever team he ends up at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,

Will you all calm down about the Evra extension. If hes not performing do you honestly think LVG will give him a 1st team jersey. Not a chance. I reckon Giggs advised him that it would be of benefit to have him there for his experience and knowledge especially for Luke Shaw:D. The transfer window hasn't even open yet and people are already getting their knickers in a twist. The time to panic is Aug 31st if we have not signed the players we need to fix the obvious problems in midfield and defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

True, despite the form over the last 2 seasons, he's a loyal servant and never really suffered much with injuries. He's a likeable guy and dealt with the racist gnasher in the right way.
    I would have been disappointed to see him leave tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

If we get the right players in, top4 and fa cup would be great next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    If it's true that Fabregas is available this summer, would ye be confident that he'd pick ye over Arsenal?
    Understandably ye'd be viewed a the bigger club but could be one of those players who the whole no Europe thing deters away from signing. He could be keen on an Arsenal reunion depending on what he's looking for.

Will add serious strength to the starting 11 of whichever team he ends up at

Yeah I hear we're signing him, Ronaldo and Steve Bruce

IMO Evra's demise hasn't been greatly over-exaggerated. No denying that he is a club legend, no denying that he still offers quite a bit going forward. But for me his defensive capabilities have gone majorly downhill the last couple of seasons. Last season especially (2013/14) it seemed like every 2nd goal we conceded was coming from the left side.

Hopefully Van Gaal can bring him back to some kind of good defensive form.

adox wrote: »
    Evras demise has not been over estimated. On the contrary it's a mystery that he managed to be picked for so many games over the last three seasons.

A total liability to the team who gave up the ghost when it comes to defending a long time ago.

He's played 99% of games over the past seven years or so. The guy needs a rest. He's 33 now, not 24. He should of been given more time off over the past 3 years especially when his form began to dip. He'd be a top class back up to have for any side. Luke Shaw could learn a lot from Patrice Evra.

Has Evra declined? Yes
    But does he still have value to United? Yes

As I said he'd be a fantastic back up to have and a great mentor for any young full back to have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It will come down to how he's used next season I guess; if we bring Shaw in and the plan is to give the kid some time to settle, some experience, etc, grand.

If Evra is starting week in, week out though....

Solid business for Chelsea if they can get a replacement. He's good but not 40m good....

How they managed that i'll never know! Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Barca have apparently recieved bids from 3 epl clubs for fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He's played 99% of games over the past seven years or so. The guy needs a rest. He's 33 now, not 24. He should of been given more time off over the past 3 years especially when his form began to dip. He'd be a top class back up to have for any side. Luke Shaw could learn a lot from Patrice Evra.

Has Evra declined? Yes
    But does he still have value to United? Yes

As I said he'd be a fantastic back up to have and a great mentor for any young full back to have.

I just don't buy that it's an age thing with him. His age doesn't affect his forward running but seems to bring him to a standstill going the other way.

He just hasn't being trying when it comes to defending. It's been as clear as day the last three seasons IMO.

I like the guy, I really do. Seems a great character to have around the club. Look if Shaw does sign and is the number one in that position then fair enough but the fear is that Evra will be given game time as a minimum and worst case scenario is being held on for another season as no 1 with Shaw possibly not coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Explain how having evra around would give shaw experience?
    Didn't do much good for buttner

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I can't wait until the World Cup starts so the press move onto other stories. It should stop them making up stuff for awhile at least.
    Ohh they'll never stop, those twisted, blood-sucking vultures!!

keane2097 wrote: »
    McCarthy is criminally underrated by Irish people.

I'm willing to take your point on board here, but having seen very little of him to date, what does he offer a team?
    Doesn't score, assist, not much of a man for breaking up the play by the looks of it, is he a box to box player? Passing hasn't seemed the worst, a playmaker of sorts perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Didn't do much good for buttner

Have you considered that Buttner's just not a particularly good player? You can't polish a turd.

It will come down to how he's used next season I guess; if we bring Shaw in and the plan is to give the kid some time to settle, some experience, etc, grand.

If Evra is starting week in, week out though....

Maybe he will use him in front of Shaw?Attacking wise he was ok this season. Can't see any other position he is competent in anymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Antibac wrote: »
    Maybe he will use him in front of Shaw?Attacking wise he was ok this season. Can't see any other position he is competent in anymore

The last thing Shaw should have in his debut season is someone in front of him who was so unwilling to help defend, they had to change his position on the field :pac:

iCn6MOjdeRcSr.gif

Evra will go down as a legend.

But I call a spade a spade and he was crap last season. Not disappointed with him staying if Shaw comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Evra will go down as a legend.

But I call a spade a spade and he was crap last season. Not disappointed with him staying if Shaw comes along.
    Very much this, if he becomes second to Shaw and shows him the ropes then I think its a great decision but a first team player he should not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Evra will be handy to have around for experience considering we've lost a few of the older heads and can help with easing Shaw into his role. With Fabregas i think he'd choose us over Arsenal with Van Gaal at the helm as it's lookin at this stage like Arsenal are a long way from winnin the league. I thought they'd do it this year finally with the way they started and after the signing of Ozil but yet again their mental weakness resurfaced, with Ozil being a big part of that mental weakness too.

Have you considered that Buttner's just not a particularly good player? You can't polish a turd.

That wasn't my main point.

I wouldn't describe the lad as a turd though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The papers have nothing better to do than build up expectations and then destroy them :(

the World Cup will calm it down, but I hope we sign someone before or during because if we hit the second week in July when the tournament is over and we still haven't signed anybody they will go into overdrive and United fans will be having meltdowns every day.

• Advertisement

The last thing Shaw should have in his debut season is someone in front of him who was so unwilling to help defend, they had to change his position on the field :pac:

True!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

But I call a spade a spade...

Interesting choice of words, given the Suarez gif above ;)

mewe wrote: »
    Evra will be handy to have around for experience considering we've lost a few of the older heads and can help with easing Shaw into his role. With Fabregas i think he'd choose us over Arsenal with Van Gaal at the helm as it's lookin at this stage like Arsenal are a long way from winnin the league. I thought they'd do it this year finally with the way they started and after the signing of Ozil but yet again their mental weakness resurfaced, with Ozil being a big part of that mental weakness too.

They're much closer to winning the league than we are. And this year injuries played a key part in wrecking their title bid. If Ramsay and Walcott had not got injured they would have been in with a good shout IMO

Interesting choice of words, given the Suarez gif above ;)

gxuM60O.gif

They're much closer to winning the league than we are. And this year injuries played a key part in wrecking their title bid. If Ramsay and Walcott had not got injured they would have been in with a good shout IMO

That's a fair point but overall i just think their mental weakness is like an achilles heel and Wenger's management of the team is partly if not solely to blame for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    I just don't buy that it's an age thing with him. His age doesn't affect his forward running but seems to bring him to a standstill going the other way.

Actually, thats exactly what happens with age. Trust me, I know :( . You bomb forward fast as ever, but the turn just kills you and you can't get back up the field.

I think Evra playing a game every once in a while as a backup will do fine, he will be rested and experienced enough to slot in. In an emergency I would still trust him to come in and do better than Buttner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The evra contract extension is great. The Luke shaw deal is defo gonna go through. Mark Ogden, one of the top and most reliable journos out there said the deal is pretty much complete, its just a matter of time before it's done and dusted and announced.

If we lost evra we would have no experienced LB to mentor luke shaw who at the age of 18 needs guidance. Great work in my opinion. People need to be more optimistic and stop believing random quotes and articles thrown around by dodgy journalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The mirror said City might be interested in Fabregas because he's homegrown, is he counted as one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Actually, thats exactly what happens with age. Trust me, I know :( . You bomb forward fast as ever, but the turn just kills you and you can't get back up the field.

Confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

omg I nearly fell over when I saw the price that Luiz is going for

I had to rub my eyes to actually believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The papers have nothing better to do than build up expectations and then destroy them :(

dont you mean the club destroying them?

of course alot of what is printed is false, but just cause other things dont come through doesnt mean the journalist is lying.

I've now decided that rather than go through the uplifting ups and devastating downs of transfer rumours, I'd prefer to assume that we will sign absolutely no one over the summer and lay among the misery which that thought brings.

I really can't take another summer of "Will he sign?/won't he sign?", so I've taken my expectations right down. It's only May and I'm already fit for a mental home, so I'm going with the 'Expect nothing and therefore you won't be disappointed' approach.

So far, so good, but it's only been about 40 minutes!

@Stan
    So far, so good, but it's only been about 40 minutes![/quote]

It's probably been the longest 40 mins ever?

I think I will do the same because it will probably get worse before it gets better

Antibac wrote: »

It's probably been the longest 40 mins ever?

I think I will do the same because it will probably get worse before it gets better

No it's been a breeze, only smoked about 10 cigarettes so far :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

stankratz wrote: »
    I've now decided that rather than go through the uplifting ups and devastating downs of transfer rumours, I'd prefer to assume that we will sign absolutely no one over the summer and lay among the misery which that thought brings.

I really can't take another summer of "Will he sign?/won't he sign?", so I've taken my expectations right down. It's only May and I'm already fit for a mental home, so I'm going with the 'Expect nothing and therefore you won't be disappointed' approach.

So far, so good, but it's only been about 40 minutes!

I know where you're coming from. I avoid focusing on any particular player, because of the inevitable disappointment when they aren't signed. That way, when we end up resigning Bruce and Pallister next August. I'll be pretty happy enough because I kept my expectations low all summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Who was the last player that we resigned? Was it Hughes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Member that list people were doing with all the "respected journalists" - anyone have that out of interest in relation to who said exactly what in relation to Kroos to United and Evra to Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Scholes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

David Luiz deal is through.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement