Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If it wasnt for the world cup id say the Shaw deal would of been done and dusted by now.

The media is not helping the situation because none of us have a ****ing clue whats going on you hear one minute something is done next it was never happening chances are we could sign players who the media aint even mentioned or come August the likes of Toni Kroos could be in a United jersey. Who knows really ??

If we didnt get so much rubbish on twitter and other places online the stress levels wouldnt be near as high with fans. Its like the way years ago before the internet took off wrestling was exciting :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BoWcLHGIgAA7ToL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God its like deja vu again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's the 24th of May. Now is not the time to start panicking.

In a way I'm glad the Kroos story has gone full circle as it's lowered expectations, or well snapped me out of thinking that we were going to sign every good player ever. The Iron Tullip is in charge now and we have to trust he'll be decisive in the market. Assuming Shaw signs then keeping Evra for one more year is a good move, he'll get to learn and Evra can be more effective in the games he does play if he plays fewer of them. The squad needs leaders. However if he's first choice then we can panic.

Kroos would be fantastic but lets just wait a little longer. It is bloody annoying seeing all these names waived in front of us but we gotta keep our composure. Investment is needed and I believe it will happen but lets give people a chance to do things properly. We're operating in the same market that sees David Luiz sell for 50 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It's the 24th of May. Now is not the time to start panicking.

You're wasting your time.

gob-letter-throw-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Infairness, we were told to keep patient last summer, that the signings would come and all would be good and we were stuck with a player we paid 4 million extra for than we needed to in the 11th hour of deadline day rather than wrap it up months before hand.

We've heard of all these big signings the club had ready for this summer since and how last summer was merely a blip and wouldn't happen again yet we seem to be doing the exact same thing this summer and even going after the same players who are far more likely to turn us down than sign. ie. fabregas.

Even the Shaw bid is similar to last summer, we bid and hear nothing else for weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea hijack the deal now and it wouldn't be the first time they've done it to us. Everything just seems so slow and laboured when it comes to transfers at United.

It's perfectly understandable why people are panicking right now, I'm very frustrated as it is. We need major signings and sealed and done before the World Cup and that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm frightened we're gonna hear how it's a World Cup year and signings are hard to make by the end of the window and I wouldn't be shocked to hear it.

Basically, after last summer and our season, there's no reasons why we shouldnt be agitated as fans. We've all uniteds best interests at heart here so it's understandable in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Infairness, we were told to keep patient last summer, that the signings would come and all would be good and we were stuck with a player we paid 4 million extra for than we needed to in the 11th hour of deadline day rather than wrap it up months before hand.

We've heard of all these big signings the club had ready for this summer since and how last summer was merely a blip and wouldn't happen again yet we seem to be doing the exact same thing this summer and even going after the same players who are far more likely to turn us down than sign. ie. fabregas.

Even the Shaw bid is similar to last summer, we bid and hear nothing else for weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea hijack the deal now and it wouldn't be the first time they've done it to us. Everything just seems so slow and laboured when it comes to transfers at United.

It's perfectly understandable why people are panicking right now, I'm very frustrated as it is. We need major signings and sealed and done before the World Cup and that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm frightened we're gonna hear how it's a World Cup year and signings are hard to make by the end of the window and I wouldn't be shocked to hear it.

Basically, after last summer and our season, there's no reasons why we should be agitated as fans. We've all uniteds best interests at heart here so it's understandable in my opinion.

i agree with a lot of this i guess i am just trying to remain positive as long as possible as hard as that is !!.

I wish we would deal with things faster but we just dont seem to work that way as a club its seriously hard to watch as a fan because the feeling of pure and utter annoyance when u see a big target fail and think ffs we could of made that work if we weren't nit picking!!!.

We cant afford to make the same mistakes as we did last summer we where coming off of a league winning season last year surely after what happened the following year there can be no sitting back and taking the relaxed approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jack Barmby gone lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Im wondering because 90% of the media is just watching us that other clubs are able to get deals done under the radar or is it we are just **** at getting the job done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Jack Barmby gone lads?

Yup..Gone to leicester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hococop wrote: »
    Im wondering because 90% of the media is just watching us that other clubs are able to get deals done under the radar or is it we are just **** at getting the job done

A bit of both I think. It usually starts off with someone hearing a shred of truth, putting 2 and 2 together to make 5, a few rags go with the story and it sells papers and increases visitors to websites.

On the other side of that, Woodward hasn't proven himself in the transfer market, tabling laughable offers for Baines and Fabregas and overpaying for Fellaini and arguably Mata. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how good LVG has been in the transfer market, but he will obviously be focusing on the Netherlands team mainly over the coming weeks.

Anyway,basically our transfer market dealings are always concentrated on the most by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Probably untrue as usual with Twitter, but........ He can piss right off if an 18 year old thinks he can demand first team football at Manchester United...

Pogba is gone, you need to stop talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

thelad95 wrote: »
    A bit of both I think. It usually starts off with someone hearing a shred of truth, putting 2 and 2 together to make 5, a few rags go with the story and it sells papers and increases visitors to websites.

On the other side of that, Woodward hasn't proven himself in the transfer market, tabling laughable offers for Baines and Fabregas and overpaying for Fellaini and arguably Mata. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how good LVG has been in the transfer market, but he will obviously be focusing on the Netherlands team mainly over the coming weeks.

Anyway,basically our transfer market dealings are always concentrated on the most by the media.

Yeah only reason I though about it was with the picture above, a player sold for 50 million but we still get the main headline for a player we probably won't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I suspect the problems with players we had strong links to breaking down is due to van gaal.
    The man is a visionary and will have his own view on a new united team.

#faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I suspect the problems with players we had strong links to breaking down is due to van gaal.
    The man is a visionary and will have his own view on a new united team.

#faith

I'd tend to agree here, Obviously Van Gaal will have an idea (possibly an actual list) of who he wants, but at the moment his focus will be firmly with the National team...

I honestly don't expect any signings until after the WC, even after the WC I suspect he will take holidays and come back with his Utd head on....

Then we should see some new faces...

To be fair to the man he does have a team to prepare for the WC so let's not get too ahead of ourselves... We did get it wrong, badly wrong last summer but I'd have a little more faith that he can get the bigger names in the door.... Eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kroos deal falls apart or pulled out of, shaw deal going belly up? Continuing the farce of last summer, brill. Fabregas the number 1 target again? What could possibly go wrong.

Bunch of freaking morons running united.

Is it, just about possible, maybe, that the Kroos story was bull**** and never going to happen, much like Thiago last year? Maybe a possibility? Also, would it enter the realms of possibility that the Chelsea fan Shaw who everybody acknowledged months ago was pretty much nailed on to go to Chelsea to replace Cole (Cole seemingly not being offered a concert since then adding strength to the theory) was also never actually a genuine target for the club or more to the point a possibility, in that case? Could that be possible?

Fabregas is the number 1 target again now is he? If you wish to believe that go ahead sure, course, unless you actually hear it from Van Gaal or Woodward you speculate all you want and cry all summer if it makes you feel good.

Is there any chance you might stop constantly insulting the people at the club though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Lads, you'll drive yourself crazy if you're going to sit like this and comment on non-stories all day every day for the next three months. Take a chill pill and get off boards and Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Luiz for 50m is the biggest indication the transfer market is simply broken

Horrendously average player to be worth that much, shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd also point out to people that Superthreads, while the thread titles have maybe been shortened, used to always have "rumour" in the title.

Rumours are fine, if your getting upset over seeing a potentially ropey story, to be fair you might be best served avoiding the internet, and be one of those who hangs around for Sky Sports News.

TheDoc wrote: »

It's almost as if the psg owners are purposely paying way over the odds as a dhow defiance to UEFA.
    They should be banned from the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

TheDoc wrote: »

Some laughs being had at the Bridge though, unbelievable deal from their point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's almost as if the psg owners are purposely paying way over the odds as a dhow defiance to UEFA.
    They should be banned from the CL.

Since Plantini's son works for PSG's owners, Michel will probably tread carefully and not upset them too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bullvine wrote: »
    Van gaal could get the current squad challenging for the top hes that good nevermind new additions, we have got an a list manager.. chill. We will sign some players dont worry..

tumblr_lp02dl0iUk1qie3i0.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Two more points...

The Luiz deal shows how quickly deals can happen and that they can come from nowhere; had he been linked with PSG all that much before yesterday? Obviously thought that deal had been worked on without much leaks before yesterday; they obviously didn't start and finish it in the space of 12 hours. Chances are when there is a deal to be made, it will happen for us the same way.

Also, how many PL teams have actually bought anyone yet? A quick scan shows me that so far, only three have incoming players set; Stoke and West Brom who have signed a free players each, and, ironically, us! Right it was a kid, but we have more incoming deals than most done.

I would get the panic if everyone else was getting deals done and wrapped up but they aren't either. Losing your mind cause on May 24th, there is nothing done is crazy and hyperbolic, just as it was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Two more points...

The Luiz deal shows how quickly deals can happen and that they can come from nowhere; had he been linked with PSG all that much before yesterday? Obviously thought that deal had been worked on without much leaks before yesterday; they obviously didn't start and finish it in the space of 12 hours. Chances are when there is a deal to be made, it will happen for us the same way.

Also, how many PL teams have actually bought anyone yet? A quick scan shows me that so far, only three have incoming players set; Stoke and West Brom who have signed a free players each, and, ironically, us! Right it was a kid, but we have more incoming deals than most done.

I would get the panic if everyone else was getting deals done and wrapped up but they aren't either. Losing your mind cause on May 24th, there is nothing done is crazy and hyperbolic, just as it was this time last year.

Excellent post.
    Another thing to consider is a lot of teams are at WC training camps now and will have no dealings with agents ala Englands ban on them in order for them to prepare properly for it. Most are off from this weekend until they fly to Brazil so we may see some activity over the next while and then it'll go quiet again until after the World Cup I would imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I wouldn't panic (yet).

I also wouldn't be too critical of the club (yet).

When you read the stories about the Shaw deal stalling, they're just bullsh1t and supposition. I'm convinced that we will sign him. My understanding is that Evra always had the option to stay - He'll be a good mentor for Shaw.

The Kroos stuff is annoying but has all the hallmarks of a guy who was never coming to United. If that's the case, we just need to move on.

Fabregas is the one to focus on. He's a good age (27) and had Premier League experience. I think that Arsenal have first option on him and profit share with Barcelona on any deal so for Edward Woodward (after the shambles that was last year), the answer I reckon is to go big or go home. Forget annoying people with derisory bids. Put your bid in and try and get the player. Offer £60m for Cesc.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I wouldn't panic (yet).

I also wouldn't be too critical of the club (yet).

When you read the stories about the Shaw deal stalling, they're just bullsh1t and supposition. I'm convinced that we will sign him. My understanding is that Evra always had the option to stay - He'll be a good mentor for Shaw.

The Kroos stuff is annoying but has all the hallmarks of a guy who was never coming to United. If that's the case, we just need to move on.

Fabregas is the one to focus on. He's a good age (27) and had Premier League experience. I think that Arsenal have first option on him and profit share with Barcelona on any deal so for Edward Woodward (after the shambles that was last year), the answer I reckon is to go big or go home. Forget annoying people with derisory bids. Put your bid in and try and get the player. Offer £60m for Cesc.

60m! Sh*t I'm glad you're not in charge of transfers at Utd!

No way is he worth 60m. If that were the asking price I'd walk away. Look to sign three or four young players for that money.

Look at the business Juve did with their midfield, or Atlethico. It's not always about splurging massive fees. There tons of players out there and we have the manager to get them working well together no need to follow the mental PSG approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Two more points...

I don't think United are capable of doing a deal without anyone finding out. The press seem to know your targets before management does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mikeyt086 v Zerks in a Gif battle.

would be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Two more points...

The Luiz deal shows how quickly deals can happen and that they can come from nowhere; had he been linked with PSG all that much before yesterday?

Since last summer. There has been loads of media links in print and online about Luiz going to Barca and PSG also being interested throughout the season. It's suspected a bit of a bidding war is what has drove the price up as all previous links had been lower prices.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

would be epic.

a 'Zerk Off' if you will? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Why is the club continuing to leak information to the press? Obviously we have a very mentally fragile fan base who are getting very hot under the collar already and the transfer window hasn't even opened already.

Deals for top class players aren't going to happen. We have no Champions League football to offer and we have a new manager in place who is going to want to get his own targets. If you believe the early rumour mill in April we had one or two deals lined up before the World Cup. Maybe van Gaal doesn't want Luke Shaw, maybe he doesn't want Toni Kroos. I'd also hazard a guess that we could be signing a couple of Dutch players but van Gaal doesn't want to upset the players, their clubs to the Dutch FA by trying to rush through deals before the World Cup. Louis van Gaal is very focused on this World Cup and there is a huge possibility, even probability, that Holland will not make it out of the group. If Louis van Gaal is seen to be trying to do deals for Dutch players or is spotted meeting other players then he is going to be crucified for not giving his entire attention to the Dutch squad and their training preparations for the World Cup.

Maybe he's not signing any Dutch players either, we don't know. Let's see what happens and then review the transfer window. I think people are going to be bitterly disappointed as van Gaal isn't going to spend huge money and he's likely only going to bring in a couple of pieces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kroos deal falls apart or pulled out of, shaw deal going belly up? Continuing the farce of last summer, brill. Fabregas the number 1 target again? What could possibly go wrong.

Bunch of freaking morons running united.

You're blood pressure must be through the roof if you have a bitch fit over every minor fùcking thing.

It's still only May ffs. I am actually embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Spread the word Robben
    Arjen Robben on a possible move to Manchester United: 'that's not an option. I'm staying with Bayern Munich. Period.
    Robben: 'it would have been different if I wasn't completely happy. Then I'd be up for it, I had a great time with Van Gaal at Bayern'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Robben's just a more effective version of Valencia. Bayern can keep him.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Why is the club continuing to leak information to the press?

There is always three parties involved in a deal; United, the other club and the player's camp.

Taking Kroos as an example, it's likely his agent leaked he wanted to go to try and either get a move or get a new contract. It's likely Bayern leaked to show he could **** off with this game.

Point is, United don't have to leak a thing to get outed like this; the other two can cause 99% of the ruckus and then United have to deal with 95% of the fallout :/

SkyBet have stopped taking bets on Luke Shaw now. He's apparently been on 1/20 odds for a while, so it's not that they just don't think it's worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He's really not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Where are all the top players Moyes said would love to join United?

I'd be happy with the Shaw deal being confirmed to be honest. It's the only one I have any interest in cause it's the only one which has any real substance to it. The rest are just fairy tales at the moment.

I still think there will be one deadline day deal or January deal in the form of Strootman. I bet you he will be on LvG's list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

adox wrote: »
    He's really not.

He's past his best, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He's past his best, though.

He's really not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

e965339ef2f7ec69cd723354f029a41d30c64e75d91374cb6f7900631386feaa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

would be epic.

f7I3hmk.gif

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    60m! Sh*t I'm glad you're not in charge of transfers at Utd!

No way is he worth 60m

Maybe we'd actually sign players if I was rather than lowballing and irritating clubs / players.

We're now in a world where Cardiff got more tv money last season than United got for the 2012/2013 title winning season.

We have money and no Champions League football.

I disagree and believe that Cesc is worth £60m TO US.

When a player like that who we absolutely need and want becomes available, we need to make decisively rather than adopt the Woodward Summer 2013 approach of offering less than the player's perceived value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Maybe we'd actually sign players if I was rather than lowballing and irritating clubs / players.

We're now in a world where Cardiff got more tv money last season than United got for the 2012/2013 title winning season.

We have money and no Champions League football.

I disagree and believe that Cesc is worth £60m TO US.

When a player like that who we absolutely need and want becomes available, we need to make decisively rather than adopt the Woodward Summer 2013 approach of offering less than the player's perceived value.

No point fretting over what Fabregas is worth to Utd since he ain't gona sign for Utd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ohhh Ahhhh Ohhh Ahhh Ohhh Aaaaa Caanntoonnaaaa

Happy Birthday Eric.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ohhh Ahhhh Ohhh Ahhh Ohhh Aaaaa Caanntoonnaaaa

Happy Birthday Eric.

'66 was a great year for English football.

Eric was born.

Simply the best.

Saw this on Reddit...

Saw this on Twitter - According to AS, Barcelona are considering an approach for Juan Mata due to uncertainty over Cesc Fabregas and Xavi Hernandez future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Saw this on Reddit...

Saw this on Twitter - According to AS, Barcelona are considering an approach for Juan Mata due to uncertainty over Cesc Fabregas and Xavi Hernandez future.

They can **** off

Saw this on Reddit...

The stuff of nightmares.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement