Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can imagine things getting a bit tense if LvG has given a list to Woodie & then no one is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

TheDoc wrote: »
    Luiz for 50m is the biggest indication the transfer market is simply broken

Horrendously average player to be worth that much, shocking

My first thought is there's something more between Chelsea and PSG. Could it be to do with financial fair play loop-holes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Pogba is gone, you need to stop talking about him.
    Funny guy.. How many nights you doing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My first thought is there's something more between Chelsea and PSG. Could it be to do with financial fair play loop-holes?

Undoubtedly.

kryogen wrote: »
    Is it, just about possible, maybe, that the Kroos story was bull**** and never going to happen, much like Thiago last year? Maybe a possibility? Also, would it enter the realms of possibility that the Chelsea fan Shaw who everybody acknowledged months ago was pretty much nailed on to go to Chelsea to replace Cole (Cole seemingly not being offered a concert since then adding strength to the theory) was also never actually a genuine target for the club or more to the point a possibility, in that case? Could that be possible?

Fabregas is the number 1 target again now is he? If you wish to believe that go ahead sure, course, unless you actually hear it from Van Gaal or Woodward you speculate all you want and cry all summer if it makes you feel good.

Is there any chance you might stop constantly
    insulting the people at the club though?

This, just this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Saw this on boards.... ;)
    Saw this on Reddit...

Saw this on Twitter - According to AS, Barcelona are considering an approach for Juan Mata due to uncertainty over Cesc Fabregas and Xavi Hernandez future.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    10m + Fab....take it or leave it...what say you Mr Chairman...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I'll never understand people's issue with overpaying for proven quality players. We're fans, not cost accountants.

Consider the money that's been p..sed away on guys like Bebe, Anderson, etc. And the interest payments on the debt. I have no problem with us paying 10% or 20% over market value to ensure that a deal is definitely done rather than enduring the embarrassment of last summer (and last season).

Personally I couldn't care less if we sign Cesc Fabregas for £60m or £48m or £42m once we sign him.

Question:

If it was announced on Monday that we'd signed Shaw for £35m, Hummels for £30m, Vidal for £40m and Fabregas for £60m, would people be ecstatic or raging over us overpaying a bit for the players who we want?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Great Andy Mitten article on transfer silly season, English half way down

http://www.united.no/andy-mitten/ryktehysteriet/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'll never understand people's issue with overpaying for proven quality players. We're fans, not cost accountants.

Consider the money that's been p..sed away on guys like Bebe, Anderson, etc. And the interest payments on the debt. I have no problem with us paying 10% or 20% over market value to ensure that a deal is definitely done rather than enduring the embarrassment of last summer (and last season).

Personally I couldn't care less if we sign Cesc Fabregas for £60m or £48m or £42m once we sign him.

Question:

If it was announced on Monday that we'd signed Shaw for £35m, Hummels for £30m, Vidal for £40m and Fabregas for £60m, would people be ecstatic or raging over us overpaying a bit for the players who we want?

Fabregas would probably by worth the same as Mata. 35M would be a fair price I would say. 60M and we're having our pants pulled down.

The issue most fans have is quite simple: There is probably a set budget for transfers. Let's say 120M. If we spend 60M on Fab, that's half the budget gone on one player. A player who isn't worth that much.
    We're then left with 60M to fill the roles of left back, one or two centre backs and probably a young midfield prospect. It essentially means we have to go for lesser players in those positions than we would like.

That's my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The biggest tournament in world football begins in 3 weeks I think it's a bit premature to be getting worried about deals now. If we're still farting about with no announced deals 2 weeks after the world cup is over id be a bit more concerned.

Who cares what other clubs are doing? As someone already pointed out no other big clubs in the premier league have made a move on anyone yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fabregas would probably by worth the same as Mata. 35M would be a fair price I would say. 60M and we're having our pants pulled down.

The issue most fans have is quite simple: There is probably a set budget for transfers. Let's say 120M. If we spend 60M on Fab, that's half the budget gone on one player. A player who isn't worth that much.
    We're then left with 60M to fill the roles of left back, one or two centre backs and probably a young midfield prospect. It essentially means we have to go for lesser players in those positions than we would like.

That's my take on it.

Yeah agree with the above, although I wouldn't be disappointed if Utd signed Fabregas for £40 million.

No one is really concerned on what is spent on a player, only how it effects Utds overall transfer policy. Utd need a few players this summer. Money isn't infinite.

If I thought Utd needed one midfielder to really complete the squad then I'd say pay whatever it takes to get that player. (Within reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The biggest tournament in world football begins in 3 weeks I think it's a bit premature to be getting worried about deals now. If we're still farting about with no announced deals 2 weeks after the world cup is over id be a bit more concerned.

Who cares what other clubs are doing? As someone already pointed out no other big clubs in the premier league have made a move on anyone yet.

To be honest I'm on the fence at the moment but last summer is looming large in the back of my mind.

It's easy to see why people are concerned. All you said above was said last summer too(probably by myself as well) and look how that turned out.

It makes total sense to get players signed before the World Cup starts and none to wait until the tournament is over. If Utd haven't signed anyone before it kicks off I will be disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If it meant Fabregas coming the other way, we would be a lot stronger because Kagawa is near enough the same level as a number 10 and we can buy natural wingers to replace him

But then I think of his little face and never want him to leave :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

200_s.gif

Source-ception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Just curious on United fans perception of the Fabregas rumors.

If Barca do sell him, do you think that he will end up at United above Arsenal?

Considering Arsenal have a buy back clause, champions league football, and the fact that he seems to still have a lot of time for the club, coupled with the fact that his child is in London.

It's just I hear these rumors of United and Fabregas when it's far from clear cut that if he was to leave that they would be the only English club in the running to sign him.

Just curious on United fans perception of the Fabregas rumors.

If Barca do sell him, do you think that he will end up at United above Arsenal?

If he's leaving Barca for England, I'd say Arsenal is the likeliest outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes, Fabregas to Arsenal is best bet were he to leave. From Cesc point of view I totally understand but it be bad for United. Quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Telegraph in England reporting "Arsenal will not make signing Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas a priority in the transfer window"

..I just have a feeling that we will sign Cesc - I'll definitely be wrong but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I have zero confidence in Ed Woodward and that's what worrying me most this summer. It's like when Garry Cook was at City, you can have all the money in the world but if your chief negotiator doesn't know what he's doing you're not going to get what you need or you'll pay a stupid price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Fabregas is past it and at 35 million that is a big rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Isn't it a case arsenal have the buy back set at £25m, so it's not in barca's favour to sell to them when they could get a minimum £10m more for him elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Its hard to see Fabregas ever playing for anyone else in England except for Arsenal while Wenger is still at the helm.

The only things we could offer him that Arsenal cannot or would not might be

- higher wages
    - almost guaranteed football in his preferred cm position considering how inept his competition would be.

I can't really think of anything else we could use to entice him without resorting to our history of incredible success and trophy winning potential (excluding the embarrassment that was this season of course :()

Fabregas is not past it by any stretch of the imagination. He's only 27 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Can we have him please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Can we have him please

Don't judge a player based on youtube montages. It can make the most sh*tiest of players look good,(not saying he's crap, he is bloody amazing) but using youtube to determine a player's quality is the wrong way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We could have Juan Gea Yanka starting next season.

Sign him up!!!

Fabregas is not past it by any stretch of the imagination. He's only 27 years old.
    Ha I was going to post exactly that but I didn't have the heart to argue with such a silly statement...

Don't judge a player based on youtube montages. It can make the most sh*tiest of players look good,(not saying he's crap, he is bloody amazing) but using youtube to determine a player's quality is the wrong way to go

I know he's good I just wanted to post a vid of him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Maybe we'd actually sign players if I was rather than lowballing and irritating clubs / players.

We're now in a world where Cardiff got more tv money last season than United got for the 2012/2013 title winning season.

We have money and no Champions League football.

I disagree and believe that Cesc is worth £60m TO US.

When a player like that who we absolutely need and want becomes available, we need to make decisively rather than adopt the Woodward Summer 2013 approach of offering less than the player's perceived value.

He is not worth 60m pounds sterling to anyone. Get a fcukin grip.

Roma got Strootman for mid teens, Vidal less again. Pogba for sweet FA. Matic went for mid twenties.

At the upper level Modric, Yaya, Martinez etc didn't cost that type of money. You are on to make him they most expensive centre mid player of all time. Cesc Fabregas? Really?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Great Andy Mitten article on transfer silly season, English half way down

http://www.united.no/andy-mitten/ryktehysteriet/

A very good article. I was about to post a link to it. I would like to quote a couple of paragraphs:
    The manner in which United conduct transfers has changed. Under Gill and Ferguson, the club tried to conduct transfers in secret – they even rewarded clubs they worked with if they didn’t leak stories. Javier Hernandez’s former club were awarded a friendly on account of saying nothing about his transfer. Had they done so, they could have driven up the price of their player.

This much is evident from the two transfer windows since Woodward took over. Why the strategy has changed I don't know.
    Some fans want to believe anything too. When I joked in an Ed Woodward interview that United were going to sign Arturo Vidal from Juventus last January – and made clear it was a joke – some people still believed it and passed it on. Maybe it’s because they wanted to believe it. Can I state quite clearly that I have no evidence whatsoever linking Vidal with United.

This is why transfer speculation takes place in the first place: people want to believe anything, however unlikely it is.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    He is not worth 60m pounds sterling to anyone. Get a fcukin grip.

Roma got Strootman for mid teens, Vidal less again. Pogba for sweet FA. Matic went for mid twenties.

At the upper level Modric, Yaya, Martinez etc didn't cost that type of money. You are on to make him they most expensive centre mid player of all time. Cesc Fabregas? Really?!

Is he that young?? :pac:

Thank you, I'm here all week.

Kew - Is Marchisio on your list? Would love him.

Actually, i wonder if we go to Conte with a blank cheque and ask him for one of him, Vidal or Pogba would we be laughed back to the airport?? Sure he doesn't need three of them..... :)

Kew - Is Marchisio on your list? Would love him.

Actually, i wonder if we go to Conte with a blank cheque and ask him for one of him, Vidal or Pogba would we be laughed back to the airport?? Sure he doesn't need three of them..... :)

Someone get on the blower to him. "Listen, you conte, you don't need three of them! Give us one! You know it makes sense. We'll even throw in a winger. We've loads of them!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

This thread sometimes....Robben a more effective version of Valencia?! Seriously? I hate Robben and his very punchable face but the man is an excellent footballer and nowhere as limited as Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Someone get on the blower to him. "Listen, you conte, you don't need three of them! Give us one! You know it makes sense. We'll even throw in a winger. We've loads of them!"

Pity none of those wingers are any good! Used to be!!!!!

Pity none of those wingers are any good! Used to be!!!!!

I suppose this also raises a point about the wingers at the club. VG employs a 4-3-3 system, which is obviously different to the 4-4-2 we've been used to. Our numerous wingers were brought in to fit into the old system, because it required effective wide players.

A 4-3-3 requires players of a different type. Does it makes players like Valencia, Zaha and Young redundant?

When you think about it, the set up at the back will need to be slightly altered, with the full backs required to play a more significant role in attacks.

For the front three we are very well stocked, and don't require further signings. (RVP, Rooney, Welbeck, Chico, Januzaj, Nani, Wilson, Lingard.)

The set up of the middle three is not so clear. Is it going to be two holding players, with one attacking? Three all-rounders?

Or could it be one holding player with two forward minded players? If it is, then could we be seeing something like this next season:

DDG

Rafeal
    Smalling
    Evans
    LB/Shaw

Fellaini

Mata
    Kagawa

----Januzaj
    Rooney----
    RVP

(you know what, for all the doom and gloom, that looks like a fcuking great team to me)

Alternative line-up

Amos

Varela
    Jones
    Keane
    Evra

Carrick

Pearson
    Cleverly

----Nani
    Welbeck

Wislon

Food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A 4-3-3 requires players of a different type. Does it makes players like Valencia, Zaha and Young redundant?

All a moot point. Those players are redundant anyway, based solely on their performance levels.

All a moot point. Those players are redundant anyway, based solely on their performance levels.

But they still remain at the club, and have been getting a fair amount of game time. Which is part of my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can we have him please
    Doesn't want to move to Man Utd.
    Konoplyanka: "I don't want to rush things but if Man United made an offer to me, I'd rather stay at Dnipro and play in Europe."
    He wants to join Liverpool or stay at Dnipro.

MD1990 wrote: »

No players for us this year :(

Ah how dacent would it have been to see Kaka in his prime in a United shirt - at least his son is flying the United flag :)

BoZUFf8CUAAF25Z.png

Player: "I'd rather stay at Dnipro and play in Europe."
    MD1990: He wants to join Liverpool

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Player: "I'd rather stay at Dnipro and play in Europe."
    MD1990: He wants to join Liverpool

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/agent-says-konoplyanka-still-wants-liverpool-move-4005853
    Dnipro winger Yevhen Konoplyanka still hopes to move to Liverpool in the summer.
    Konoplyanka's agent admits he's not giving up on a move to Anfield.
    Oliver Cabrera, Konoplyanka's agent, said: "The player wants Liverpool."
    But in true agent fashion Cabrera decided to take the opportunity to cast the net as widely as possibly.
    Cabrera continued: "Italy, Spain, France, Germany. A top league, well.
    "Happiness is a very complex thing. During the summer we will all again (consider) offers. PSG there was also (talk of) but it did not then materialise.
    "For the players, everyone wants the top leagues in the world, such as those mentioned.
    "There were so many interests for him and (he) is intended for a great team."

If Liverpool want him still they will sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think if United were actually interested, his tune might change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The agent then goes on to say tout his player to other top leagues.

So basically because Liverpool showed the most interest 4 months ago they can have him when they want him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Do you have a link for that quote? The Guardian says he favours a move to United over Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The guy who put that up on Twitter is a notorious bullshìter. He said last year that Mkhitaryan was a plane to Liverpool to sign for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

lol tribal football...

glued wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that quote? The Guardian says he favours a move to United over Liverpool.
    The Guardian are not reliable at all.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/agent-says-konoplyanka-still-wants-liverpool-move-4005853#.U4CaYCiTKSo

also
    The winger told Ukrainian TV: "Liverpool are challenging for the league in England. I'm supporting them. I want them to win it.

"Yes, us and Rodgers talked a little bit to each other. The interest from Liverpool was very much serious. It was serious, but now I'm thinking of it only as a dream, because [Dnipro] are challenging for league."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement