Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But they still remain at the club, and have been getting a fair amount of game time. Which is part of my point.

Your point was that a formation change would make those players redundant, that if we want to change formation we will need to change those players.

But you are seeing it backwards, we have to change those players anyway. All it means is that when we are changing those players we may not necessarily replace like with like.

Think of it like this, you have a crappy two-story house that you are going to knock down and replace. Your question is like asking what this will mean for the old stairs. You might build another two-story or you might build a bungalow, but its irrelevant what the new house looks like, the stairs are done and need to go regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MD1990 wrote: »

You can't say the Guardian are unreliable and then post a link to tribal football..

I'm a neutral btw, don't care where that nobody ends up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

If its true that Barca left Fabregas out of their team photo I reckon hes on his bike and his destination is England. I believe he would choose us over Arsenal. As far as I know hes good mates with Mata and RVP and also we are a bigger club then Arsenal. One year out of the CL should not be a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah how dacent would it have been to see Kaka in his prime in a United shirt - at least his son is flying the United flag :)

BoZUFf8CUAAF25Z.png

Never know...

His son might be decent and he seems to fancy us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Your point was that a formation change would make those players redundant, that if we want to change formation we will need to change those players.

But you are seeing it backwards, we have to change those players anyway. All it means is that when we are changing those players we may not necessarily replace like with like.

Think of it like this, you have a crappy two-story house that you are going to knock down and replace. Your question is like asking what this will mean for the old stairs. You might build another two-story or you might build a bungalow, but its irrelevant what the new house looks like, the stairs are done and need to go regardless.

I fail to see why you are debating my post. I'm saying we no longer need our wingers. Then you say I'm seeing in backwards, and what we need to do is get rid of our wingers.

Have a nice day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

billyhead wrote: »
    If its true that Barca left Fabregas out of their team photo I reckon hes on his bike and his destination is England. I believe he would choose us over Arsenal. As far as I know hes good mates with Mata and RVP and also we are a bigger club then Arsenal. One year out of the CL should not be a big deal.

A lot of presumptions there. One that he would pick United over Arsenal if both were actually interested in him at the same time. Second that United will be automatically back in the CL next season.

I fail to see why you are debating my post. I'm saying we no longer need our wingers. Then you say I'm seeing in backwards, and what we need to do is get rid of our wingers.

Have a nice day

What you actually did was ask a question based on a formation change
    A 4-3-3 requires players of a different type. Does it makes players like Valencia, Zaha and Young redundant?
    Those are your words. My response simply pointed out that it didn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Lucas Hood wrote: »

This is part of what is translated for me using the chrome translate page button:
    If you have two options - move to Manchester United or stay in the river and play in the Champions League - that choose?
    - probably would have stayed in the river. But let's not get ahead.

That link is about as much use as a tribal football one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm over the Fabregas rumours. One Summer of them was enough for my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

billyhead wrote: »

Fabregas being left out of the photo means nothing, Isn't it something to do with puma? silly rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Never know...

If he is half as good as pops in his prime he might be worth a punt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah lads, MD1990 tried this crap yesterday and nobody bit. A tribal football link with bullshìt quotes about a player rather playing at Dnipro than Manchester United. Right. I'd rather make a tenner an hour in Dublin than 100,000 a year in LA myself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Love that Liverpool guy pulling quotes out of his arse

Luis Suarez:" Liverpool are a small fish in a big pond, United are the best and most successful club in England. But I like the sun and will be on my way to Madrid as soon as they make an offer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mikeyt086 v Zerks in a Gif battle.

would be epic.
    zerks wrote: »
    f7I3hmk.gif

its-morphin-time_1472.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Never know...

No doubt 20 years from now, a whole summer will be spent discussing his signing. We will make an offer for him in June and then sit back. Chelsea will then come along in August and sign him up. All done without anyone even knowing they were interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RonnyJohnsen.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

RonnyJohnsen.jpg

They must all buy there shirts in same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

RonnyJohnsen.jpg

ketih gillespie is the image of RVP in that photo

EDIT: RVP with a beard on second look

• Advertisement

They must all buy there shirts in same place.

@JRonnyJohnsen
    Selfie with the boys wearing Indonesian Batik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Would any of you prefer to see us sign Rakitic over Fabregas?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Would any of you prefer to see us sign Rakitic over Fabregas?

Why can't we sign them both. Simply sign all the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

lordgoat wrote: »
    Why can't we sign them both. Simply sign all the players.

Could not resist

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I suppose this also raises a point about the wingers at the club. VG employs a 4-3-3 system, which is obviously different to the 4-4-2 we've been used to. Our numerous wingers were brought in to fit into the old system, because it required effective wide players.

A 4-3-3 requires players of a different type. Does it makes players like Valencia, Zaha and Young redundant?

When you think about it, the set up at the back will need to be slightly altered, with the full backs required to play a more significant role in attacks.

For the front three we are very well stocked, and don't require further signings. (RVP, Rooney, Welbeck, Chico, Januzaj, Nani, Wilson, Lingard.)

The set up of the middle three is not so clear. Is it going to be two holding players, with one attacking? Three all-rounders?

Or could it be one holding player with two forward minded players? If it is, then could we be seeing something like this next season:

DDG

Rafeal
    Smalling
    Evans
    LB/Shaw

Fellaini

Mata
    Kagawa

----Januzaj
    Rooney----
    RVP

(you know what, for all the doom and gloom, that looks like a fcuking great team to me)

That team would struggle big time to make the top 4 . A lack of pace in the front 6 and would get overrun in the middle. Not a great back 4 either.
    Not that it matters because there is not a chance yiz will be as weak as that come the start of the season. Van Gaal will sign atleast 3 players that will improve the imbalance in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Why not take a break from the negativity and the bad news stories/apparent quotes & what not and play a little game.......

Utds first official signing of the summer transfer window will be _______________ for _________ million

* don't bother with that keeper we were linked with, let's keep the guesses marquee as such to try liven up spirits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Google translated that interview with konoplyanka, it's translates like this...

If you have two options - move to Manchester United or stay in the river and play in the Champions League?
    Most likely, would have remained in the river. But let's not get ahead.

So he'd rather stay in the river than join utd :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Google translated that interview with konoplyanka, it's translates like this...

If you have two options - move to Manchester United or stay in the river and play in the Champions League?
    Most likely, would have remained in the river. But let's not get ahead.

So he'd rather stay in the river than join utd :pac:

Something to do with the Dnieper River.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Any news on the kit deal? Would really love adidas to get it. If any of the rumoured new kits are real they are all rotten.

@howardnurse
    Follow
    Cesc Fabregas is NOT on LVG's list of potential #MUFC summer transfer targets

That list that LVG left with Woodward seems to be getting shorter by the day,either that or Woodward has lost the list and is scared to tell Louis.

BoYmKukIAAA3arr.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

That list that LVG left with Woodward seems to be getting shorter by the day,either that or Woodward has lost the list and is scared to tell Louis.

Only a matter of time now before "no value in the market" is rolled out :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

@howardnurse
    Follow

And/or the journalists don't actually know who is on the list, keeping making up stories to put on it and then changing their stances.

Seriously, did last night not show Nurse is a bit thick on United news at the moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal is going on my list if this keeps up :pac:

Think I'll take a break from United news for a few weeks and enjoy the World Cup, unless we sign somebody

And/or the journalists don't actually know who is on the list, keeping making up stories to put on it and then changing their stances.

Seriously, did last night not show Nurse is a bit thick on United news at the moment....

He's quoting Simon Stone, ex-chief football writer for PA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So Fabregas and Kroos not wanted. I thought LVG was like Fergie in terms of arrogance and attitude, but feck - he doesn't care about central midfield either!

ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

24th May and the hissy fits have already started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Kew - Is Marchisio on your list? Would love him.

Actually, i wonder if we go to Conte with a blank cheque and ask him for one of him, Vidal or Pogba would we be laughed back to the airport?? Sure he doesn't need three of them..... :)

It was Red Crow (Eli Manning) that said we were signing him this summer.

I be happy to have him if it was true.

So Fabregas and Kroos not wanted. I thought LVG was like Fergie in terms of arrogance and attitude, but feck - he doesn't care about central midfield either!

ugh.

Or he simply doesn't think he needs to pay 30m+ for one. Or has his own targets in mind.

There were stories and quotes a few weeks back, and in fact it was a major selling point of his, that he doesn't play the "stars", and isn't interested in how much you cost. It's all about how you play and if you fit the system.

This sort of illogical hyperbole ("the stories are now he doesn't want these two particular players, ergo he doesn't want ANY central midfielders") is why people get annoyed at your line of arguement....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Van Gaal is going on my list if this keeps up :pac:

GrahamNortonTony.jpg

You're going on my list Tony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You're in for it now Tony!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but there definitely is cause for concern. What have we got so far? Re-signed Evra, a player everyone agrees cannot be first choice. We have bid for Shaw, then lost Southampton's phone number. We have been turned down by Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Arjen Robben, and Marco Reus, so "Operation Blitzkreig" is a no go. Transfer talk has gone from "Lads, I don't want Cavani." to "James McCarthy could do a job!". Next comes Lee Cattermole. WE HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE.

What happens then is people start to convince themselves that its all good. Look at Red_baron99's team from today. No offence intended to him, but the team had Fellaini at CDM with Mata and Kagawa alongside. So thats one giant and two midgets. Would be dominated by any organised team. It also had Smalling and Evans at CB. So when they both get injured its Jones and Carrick? I'm sorry but if we don't invest in quality we are in for another pisstake of a season. And there is just no way we can afford two in a row.

The way in which our club is doing its business is an absolute disaster. Whoever is leaking information is making us look like a bunch of mugs.

Mitch went on a bit of a rant today, and the responses were "The window isn't even open yet!" Were these people not around last summer? It's deja vu. The problems that everyone agrees need to be solved are not being solved. It's only May, yes, but PSG wanted David Luiz, they got him in a day. Barca signed the keeper they needed asap. We absolutely need to secure a top CM, instead we are ruling ourselves out of the running for them.

Last year Mitch and Homer had a number of rants that everyone, myself included, scoffed at. They actually saw where that window was going, and were correct. The rest of us came up with line after line as to why they were crazy, but the window came and went and we were left with a ball of hair who moves in slow motion unless he's elbowing someone in the face, and then there was uproar at how it was allowed to happen.

Here is my Boards.ie Man United Superthread Bingo for the remainder of the summer:

-It's May for feck sake! [X]
    -The window isn't even open yet! [X]
    -Lads, the World Cup is on, nobody is signing players!
    -The players are on their holidays, next week I'm sure!
    -We're on preseason tour, business will be done when we get back!
    -First game of the season is coming up but we have until September!
    -Eh... Deadline day maybe?
    -...Oh ****.

I think, hope, and pray that LVG knows how badly we need new faces. I am confident we will make signings, but so far all the signs are posting towards another absolute circus of a window, so don't be so quick to jump on those who are worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Whoever is leaking information is making us look like a bunch of mugs.

Or nobody is leaking information and the press are making it look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What would people think of offering Frank Lampard a cheeky contract if he doesn't agree anything with Chelsea? :cool:

What this club needed more than anything else was to have its business done early. Uniteds needs are obvious and after the farce of last summer Woodward must have known this, the last eight months should have been spent doing the legwork to make this summers dealings a mere formality.

Its already clear that this hasn't happened. Deals aren't typed out ready for signing, no contracts and personal terms are agreed, and frankly it appears that the club still don't know who they actually want.

The 24th of May? I fully expected that by the 24th of May a rebuild would be well under way, after all the club has had eight months to prepare for the 24th May.

I think, hope, and pray that LVG knows how badly we need new faces. I am confident we will make signings, but so far all the signs are posting towards another absolute circus of a window, so don't be so quick to jump on those who are worried.

No problem with people "worrying", but there's a line between it and "Omg, its a joke, idiots, we're doomed!" Chicken Little nonsense....
    What this club needed more than anything else was to have its business done early. Uniteds needs are obvious and after the farce of last summer Woodward must have known this, the last eight months should have been spent doing the legwork to make this summers dealings a mere formality.

You think that LVG then shouldn't have had input on incoming deals? Cause it strikes me he's the very manager who'd have told United to **** off had he thought he was going to be landed with a team that wasn't his...

Or nobody is leaking information and the press are making it look bad.

No journalist such as Jamie Jackson or similar would totally fabricate a story and risk their reputation. Unlike The Express who are blatantly pulling stories out fo their arse. He would have been informed by a source at the club. So people at the club are briefing these journalists, and they are doing it far too often.

Side note: I wouldn't be surprised if Man City complete the signing of Porto's Fernando in the next few days for €15m, its coming from the source who broke Luiz to PSG. That would mean MANCHESTER CITY are strengthening their CM options even though it's "only May".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Hmm which is worst. The press making everything up since they really don't know **** about the transfers or people in here having a melt down at every rumour. I'm quite enjoying this summer so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Recently ive seen a lot of quotes from Howard Nurse. Is he a reliable journo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Recently ive seen a lot of quotes from Howard Nurse. Is he a reliable journo
    Always found him very very solid :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No journalist such as Jamie Jackson or similar would totally fabricate a story and risk their reputation.

I disagree. Manchester United have the biggest fan base in football. Having a story on United is the big one for these lads, if there's none, they will make one.
    They can always talk their way out of it with rubbish like "he was on the old list" when nothing comes of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement