Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Recently ive seen a lot of quotes from Howard Nurse. Is he a reliable journo

The fact he was reporting the fact Evra was about to sign a new contract hours after United had confirmed he already had summed him up for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

The fact he was reporting the fact Evra was about to sign a new contract hours after United had confirmed he already had summed him up for me :pac:

Lol, ye i saw that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but there definitely is cause for concern. What have we got so far? Re-signed Evra, a player everyone agrees cannot be first choice. We have bid for Shaw, then lost Southampton's phone number. We have been turned down by Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Arjen Robben, and Marco Reus, so "Operation Blitzkreig" is a no go. Transfer talk has gone from "Lads, I don't want Cavani." to "James McCarthy could do a job!". Next comes Lee Cattermole. WE HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE.

What happens then is people start to convince themselves that its all good. Look at Red_baron99's team from today. No offence intended to him, but the team had Fellaini at CDM with Mata and Kagawa alongside. So thats one giant and two midgets. Would be dominated by any organised team. It also had Smalling and Evans at CB. So when they both get injured its Jones and Carrick? I'm sorry but if we don't invest in quality we are in for another pisstake of a season. And there is just no way we can afford two in a row.

The way in which our club is doing its business is an absolute disaster. Whoever is leaking information is making us look like a bunch of mugs.

Mitch went on a bit of a rant today, and the responses were "The window isn't even open yet!" Were these people not around last summer? It's deja vu. The problems that everyone agrees need to be solved are not being solved. It's only May, yes, but PSG wanted David Luiz, they got him in a day. Barca signed the keeper they needed asap. We absolutely need to secure a top CM, instead we are ruling ourselves out of the running for them.

Last year Mitch and Homer had a number of rants that everyone, myself included, scoffed at. They actually saw where that window was going, and were correct. The rest of us came up with line after line as to why they were crazy, but the window came and went and we were left with a ball of hair who moves in slow motion unless he's elbowing someone in the face, and then there was uproar at how it was allowed to happen.

Here is my Boards.ie Man United Superthread Bingo for the remainder of the summer:

-It's May for feck sake! [X]
    -The window isn't even open yet! [X]
    -Lads, the World Cup is on, nobody is signing players!
    -The players are on their holidays, next week I'm sure!
    -We're on preseason tour, business will be done when we get back!
    -First game of the season is coming up but we have until September!
    -Eh... Deadline day maybe?
    -...Oh ****.

I think, hope, and pray that LVG knows how badly we need new faces. I am confident we will make signings, but so far all the signs are posting towards another absolute circus of a window, so don't be so quick to jump on those who are worried.

My issue is people reading into journos who constantly talk ****e and using it to have a go at a manager who has been in place a few days. All that we have seen is speculation and we then have people taking it as gospel. The circus is the fans who get carried away by people who are being paid to print ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have been linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry the last 24 hours.

It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

We have been linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry the last 24 hours.

It's crazy.

They are all just throwing s%%t in the hope something sticks. They simply have no idea who VanGaal wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Antibac wrote: »
    They are all just throwing s%%t in the hope something sticks. They simply have no idea who VanGaal wants

Definitely. I'd put my house on Strootman coming though considering LVG has built the Dutch team around him and he is the type of player we badly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If we dont at least have some new player(s) in before the start of the WC I will start getting worried. There is no excuse at this stage. We have had all year to be lining up our targets. Right now we should be finalising deals, not starting the negotiations.

Last year I was very much in the same camp as Mitch and Homer but I really cannot see the club not signing quality players in this window. If they allowed another farce to happen and we go into the new season after having bought badly, when all of our rivals will have strengthened, we will not be competing for the top 4. The club might be able to absorb one season away from the champions league but not 2 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

RichFTW wrote: »
    Definitely. I'd put my house on Strootman coming though considering LVG has built the Dutch team around him and he is the type of player we badly need.

You'd put your house on it? You're nuts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Christian Nerlinger on van Gaal

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/24/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-manager

Sounds like the anti-moyes!
    His work with the team was very impressive. There were two basic elements: firstly the individual work with the players – on a technical, tactical and physical level; secondly the physical conditioning of the whole team. All sessions were done with the ball. Van Gaal had players playing four against four with incredible intensity – much more fun than running through the woods. He drilled a passing and possession game into them and they developed a kind of passion for performing. There was an incredibly competitive spirit on the training ground.

Two or three days before a game he would have the “A” team play against the “B” team. The latter played as had to fill in for the opposition. It was a bit difficult at the beginning for the guys in the “B” team because they had to play roles that were sometimes alien to them. He had to coach them a lot, talk a lot, to ensure the exercise was done at a proper level. The match preparation focused on four elements: possession, opposition possession, transition to defence and transition to attack. He gave the players very clear instructions of the sort that you can use on the pitch.

I'm on the Pad but I will update the list of players we be linked with this summer tomorrow.

By my calculations from posts on here we have been linked with 17 new players in past 24-48 hours.

That's right 17!!

• Advertisement

Kevin Strootman should already be at the club, and for a relative pittance too, but for whatever stupid reason, we decided to cool our interest. What a horrendous decision that has turned out to be. Now if we do end up signing him, it will be for double the price.

Whoever is calling the shots and/or handling our transfers needs to really get their sh1t together because our business in the last couple of years has been badly managed IMO.

Quandary wrote: »
    Kevin Strootman should already be at the club, and for a relative pittance too, but for whatever stupid reason, we decided to cool our interest. What a horrendous decision that has turned out to be. Now if we do end up signing him, it will be for double the price.

Whoever is calling the shots and/or handling our transfers needs to really get their sh1t together because our business in the last couple of years has been badly managed IMO.

ferguson_Moyes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Only 100 days left 'til the window shuts.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    ferguson_Moyes.jpg

I agree

The blame for our disgrace of a midfield is mainly the fault of SAF. To give Moyes credit, he at least tried to start fixing the problem but he wasn't assertive or decisive enough and we were left hoping that Fellaini would be our saviour in the middle.

I would be shocked beyond all reason if LVG does not add quality to our CM. The man is as efficient as they come and if he is getting no joy from Woodward or the board or feels they are not doing their part I can see him saying it publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Keano's enjoying himself tonight. Already pointed out Gerrard's dive in Istanbul to him, now just wrote off England at the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Keano's enjoying himself tonight. Already pointed out Gerrard's dive in Istanbul to him, now just wrote off England at the WC.

Listening to gerrard is like chewing sandpaper.

TheTownie wrote: »
    You'd put your house on it? You're nuts.

Well if I had a house, ya! I'd put a couple of hundred on it if PP offered odds. Not on any other betting site so don't know if they have a market on it.

I think the fact that LVG has been reported as being someone who does not respond well to having players forced on him kind of points to him staunchly favouring his own targets. Strootman is a key player for his Dutch team and would fit his new system. This combined with the fact that he is what we badly need and that United would be a step up from Roma point towards a likely transfer.

Would also expect one or two other lesser known Dutch players with potential to be signed along with a big name midfielder or defender. Hopefully.

I'm on the Pad but I will update the list of players we be linked with this summer tomorrow.

By my calculations from posts on here we have been linked with 17 new players in past 24-48 hours.

That's right 17!!

Take some ibuprofen and you'll be grand hun x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Would agree with this although I think he will start the season with Fellani in that position and get Strootman in Jan. Give him time to recover from the torn ACL rather than throw him into the premiership if he is not ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Listening to gerrard is like chewing sandpaper.

Have they got subtitles for him, people don't understand dolphin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Antibac wrote: »
    Would agree with this although I think he will start the season with Fellani in that position and get Strootman in Jan. Give him time to recover from the torn ACL rather than throw him into the premiership if he is not ready

Starts Fellani?.......Van Gaal out!!

Starts Fellani?.......Van Gaal out!!

I have a feeling under Van Gaal some of our players will flourish. Not saying Fellaini will turn into a Xavi but I think we all know he's a far better player than he showed this year. Im also expecting Van Gaal to get more effective use out of Kagawa.

It will take a fairly monstrous offer to get Roma to even consider selling Strootman imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Quandary wrote: »
    I have a feeling under Van Gaal some of our players will flourish. Not saying Fellaini will turn into a Xavi but I think we all know he's a far better player than he showed this year. Im also expecting Van Gaal to get more effective use out of Kagawa.

I reckon Cleverley and Kagawa will be hoping Van Gaal gives them time, and can coach them to improve and impose themselves - I do think both players could flourish under him. Welbeck though, is the player I reckon has most to gain under Van Gaal - if he accepts a wider (attacking) role, rather than a central one.

Van Gaal is known for playing the oplayers that are willing to do what they are told, where they are told to do it - and I think Welbecks versatility, workrate AND his technical level will appeal greatly to Van Gaal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It will take a fairly monstrous offer to get Roma to even consider selling Strootman imo.

Or Strootman handing in a transfer request and making it clear he wants to go...

Or Strootman handing in a transfer request and making it clear he wants to go...

He has 4 years left to run on his contract, Roma hold all the cards and have been very vocal that they have no intention of letting any of their big players go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Was having a pre match nap, what was Gerrards reaction?

Just laughed and denied it was, think he said it was worth a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He slipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

He has 4 years left to run on his contract, Roma hold all the cards and have been very vocal that they have no intention of letting any of their big players go.

Players have the power now though. If as already mentioned the player puts in a transfer request or decides not to play to his potential Roma will have no option but to sell a prized asset

Roma are, in general, a selling club - with the actual plan of their America owners buy cheap and sell big. Seemingly this summer it will be either Strootman on Benatia (both of whom I would love at United) that will be moved on to fund their own moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Roma are, in general, a selling club - with the actual plan of their America owners buy cheap and sell big. Seemingly this summer it will be either Strootman on Benatia (both of whom I would love at United) that will be moved on to fund their own moves.

I thought Strootman was injured?

I thought Strootman was injured?

Due back August, apprently - and he ain't dead. He'd miss a few games if bought - mightn't be fully up to speed til september/october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Due back August, apprently - and he ain't dead. He'd miss a few games if bought - mightn't be fully up to speed til september/october.

Sound, I thought he was out till December. Should have bought him last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Just watching the CL final makes me realise that Utd are not actually that far away from these teams. Our lack of a midfield makes us like a horse with three legs however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'd be throwing cash at At Madrid for Gabi and Koke if I was Woodward. Forget Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd hold open trials for anyone wishing to play in midfield throughout the summer.

It's been speculated that's their plan, don't think they've ever actually come out and admitted it though? They've definitely been very cute in the transfer market but most of what they've done re. transfers have been an improvement to the side. They have been very vocal this year that they're backing Garcia and he doesn't need to sell to buy.

No doubt Strootman has a price that Roma will deal at, imo that price will be very high.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I'd be throwing cash at At Madrid for Gabi and Koke if I was Woodward. Forget Fabregas.

Both are home-grown and lifelong Atletico fans. No chance of them leaving I'd say if they manage to win the CL. Be like Giggs & Scholes leaving United the season after they won the double.

Throw in Lopez and Filipe Luis there aswell.

• Advertisement

Throw in Lopez and Filipe Luis there aswell.

And a box of magic beans

DM-ICE wrote: »
    And a box of magic beans

How much are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

K4t wrote: »
    Just watching the CL final makes me realise that Utd are not actually that far away from these teams.

:eek:

You messing?!

How much are they?

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford them

We are 5 excellent players away from the 2 teams tonight.

We are not not in that league.

And it's something that won't be fixed in one summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :eek:

You messing?!

Aye you watching the final? It's terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Get in there Anderson!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well done Madrid delighted for Madrid and ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

We are 5 excellent players away from the 2 teams tonight.

We are not not in that league.

And it's something that won't be fixed in one summer.

True. Van gaal said as much during the week. It may take one year, but likely two years. He will look to build a team over three to four transfer windows.
    It will be fun

True. Van gaal said as much during the week. It may take one year, but likely two years. He will look to build a team over three to four transfer windows.
    It will be fun

I'll take 2 years at least.

Hopefully fans will realise this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement