Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's been speculated that's their plan, don't think they've ever actually come out and admitted it though? They've definitely been very cute in the transfer market but most of what they've done re. transfers have been an improvement to the side. They have been very vocal this year that they're backing Garcia and he doesn't need to sell to buy.

No doubt Strootman has a price that Roma will deal at, imo that price will be very high.

convinced their american owners stated this would be the business model when they bought the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Aye you watching the final? It's terrible.

Course not, he is, as always, monitoring the goings on in the United thread

I'll take 2 years at least.

Hopefully fans will realise this.

will take a number of years to get us up to the top level in europe.

We have to get top four in the league next season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ah mixed feelings after the CL final , delighted for Ronaldo but gutted for Ath Madrid - I'm a sucker for an underdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

will take a number of years to get us up to the top level in europe.

We have to get top four in the league next season though.

Yes its going to take at least 4 years to get to a high standard of the 2007 to 2011 team

It could be little sinner but it's not going be done in 1 season that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Crikey, 101 great goals says Utd pursuit of Fabregas is already over.

101 great goals?

If it's not on tribal football or the daily mail it's not true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You realise it likely never started and was probably all journalists trying to sell papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Remember that picture of about million people in a street and a caption along lines of " all the players Man United have been linked with"

We will give it right go this summer if start is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Remember that picture of about million people in a street and a caption along lines of " all the players Man United have been linked with"

We will give it right go this summer if start is anything to go by.
    I wonder are we the most linked club in the world? - its actually ridiculous how many players the rags/journalists etc link us to every single transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I for one will be happy to see a marked improvement in out football. You know, proper meaningful football again. Progression. Some will be impatient and moan. I'm prepared to wait two or three years to get silverware.
    People bang on about what klopp and Simeone have done, but they forget the relative humble beginnings of those teams. It takes time. Grow a team. Rather than amass a collection of big names. Van gaal is the man to do this. No panic from this random poster.
    United!!! United!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

With the rate we're supposedly going through targets coupled with Harry's return to the big time, the press are going to run out of players to make stories about.

Daily Mail saying Strootman could be a January target.... this disappoints and worries me. We needed top quality CM additions last summer, we needed them in January... we simply can't allow this summer to roll past without making an addition cause we have some kind of home to sign one in January. We should either sign him now, or forget about him and move on to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Daily Mail saying Strootman could be a January target.... this disappoints and worries me. We needed top quality CM additions last summer, we needed them in January... we simply can't allow this summer to roll past without making an addition cause we have some kind of home to sign one in January. We should either sign him now, or forget about him and move on to someone else.

Signing him now is a non starter given that he is recovering from a major injury and would not pass a medical. Or am I missing something?

Would prefer to get the right player in January, than a stop gap in August. Long term, lads.

• Advertisement

Would prefer to get the right player in January, than a stop gap in August. Long term, lads.

I'm not saying we sign a stop gap - i'm saying we sign someone else of similar quality - rather than risk being 7 points off 4th in January again because of a sh1t midfield.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Signing him now is a non starter given that he is recovering from a major injury and would not pass a medical. Or am I missing something?
    The medical can be signed off regardless, based on review of his current fitness and current recovery - along with the opinion of his medical team and ours. They can see how he is recovering and what the state of his knee is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder are we the most linked club in the world? - its actually ridiculous how many players the rags/journalists etc link us to every single transfer window.

Man United stories sell papers, far more papers than any other team. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Express going with the Mata to Barcelona story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Manchester United's transfer plans are in danger of collapse.

Arjen Robben has became the third Bayern Munich player inside a week to snub a move to Old Trafford.

And Luke Shaw’s proposed £27million switch from Southampton to United is also back in the balance after cash-rich Chelsea revived their interest in the England left-back.

It leaves vice-chairman Ed Woodward fighting to deliver on a £200million promise to new manager Louis van Gaal that he will add stellar names to the United squad before the Dutchman takes over after the World Cup.

High-level sources at Old Trafford insisted last night that NONE of the club’s top targets have “slipped the net.”

United denied claims from Germany that they registered an interest in Robben - which makes the Dutch winger’s declaration that will not be moving to Manchester even more mystifying.

And the Reds are also adamant that THEY pulled the plug on a proposed £20million deal to land Toni Kroos - despite a long-term drive to land the German playmaker.

Robben, Kroos and team-mate Thomas Muller have now all declared they have no wish to move to Old Trafford.

“I don’t want to join United,” said Robben as he prepares for Holland’s World Cup campaign under the guidance of Van Gaal.

“Even if United and Bayern are able to agree a deal over a transfer fee I will not move to Manchester.”

It seems United are now also facing a battle to land England defender Shaw.

Chelsea have banked £48m from the sale of David Luiz to Paris St Germain and Jose Mourinho needs a new left-back after allowing Ashley Cole’s contract to expire.

Van Gaal has also told United that Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels and Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman are the two players he covets most.

Dortmund want £30million for Hummels, while a move to Strootman will be out on hold until January, when the Dutchman is expected to have recovered from a cruciate knee injury.

However, United are discovering that their inability to offer Champions League football is having an impact on their recruitment drive.

It has embarrassing echoes of last summer’s transfer-market humiliation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arjen-robben-snubs-manchester-united-3600726

Basically, it's all gone tits up.

Can we get rid of this Woodward guy? I know we missed out plenty of targets under Gill but they didn't seem so public as they have with this guy running things.

• Advertisement

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Express going with the Mata to Barcelona story.

It's bull

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah yes, The Mirror. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

J. Marston wrote: »

Can we get rid of this Woodward guy? I know we missed out plenty of targets under Gill but they didn't seem so public as they have with this guy running things.

Wait until September. Then call for his head. Wait until May 2015 to call for Fellini head. It takes time. We are dealing with real life.
    Million dollar transfers are complex. Give him time. He got mata. Give him a chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »

Nonsense. Or are we forgetting Our yearly Sneijder escapades. ( Hazard and Moura as well in recent times).

There isn't much that can be done IMO about publicity like this; when you target top players, chances are you are dealing with the likes of clubs and agents who will play dirty and make these things public knowledge to drive up fees and wages.

Wait until September. Then call for his head. Wait until May 2015 to call for Fellini head. It takes time. We are dealing with real life.
    Million dollar transfers are complex. Give him time. He got mata. Give him a chance.

3326-yao-ming-scared.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Forgetting fabregas, kroos, robben, muller, shaw, strootman, hummels, etc etc, who else out there in this bloody world could step into vidic's/ferdi's/scholesy/giggs boots this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

If im not very much mistaken, the club have made no official comment on any player. All we have is paper not refusing ink. We are an easy target at the moment for bUlL**** transfer rumours. Everything so far is speculation. We dont know whats going on behind the scenes, al we have are reporters spouting nonsense linking us with every player going. Robben and Muller to United? Give me a fúcking break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Forgetting fabregas, kroos, robben, muller, shaw, strootman, hummels, etc etc, who else out there in this bloody world could step into vidic's/ferdi's/scholesy/giggs boots this summer

Godin or Miranda at centre-back perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Godin or Miranda at centre-back perhaps.

This could be the cider talking but fire a whole 120m at Atletico for Luis, Gabi, Koke and Adrian Lopez. Go ****ing mad altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Skybet have suspended betting on Luke Shaw.

zerks wrote: »
    Skybet have suspended betting on Luke Shaw.

Theres either nothing to read into that or he's off to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus the last year or so has been so positive in here :pac:

Dont think it will be safe to visit the soccer forum anymore if this summer turns out like the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Express Football @ExpressFootball
    Follow
    Man Utd's Louis Van Gaal willing to let Juan Mata go as Barcelona line up £40m bid

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :eek:

You messing?!
    Not at all.

We were very close to shocking Bayern as it was with Fletcher and Carrick in the middle.
    There is a fantastic core group of players at the club except in the crucial area of midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Follow

Noooooooooooo

Noooooooooooo

After half a season at the club that has to be bull**** seriously.

If he is sold in the summer i have no faith at all in the running of the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm not sure about that if I'm being brutally honest.

I'm gonna say what everyone used against Moyes, this squad won the title last season. It should not take another 2 years to start competing again no matter who the manager is. 2 or 3 key signings this summer and we should be achieving CL qualification and a title challenge at the very least from Mr Van Gaal. If he can't deliver this then he isn't fit for the job as much as Moyes wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Follow

Isn't he on a 4 year deal. We paid 37 million for him. Why in gods name would we sell him for 40m?

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    3326-yao-ming-scared.jpg

Don't worry. U should be concerned for your own

Follow

Tell you what, if that's true, I owe you a coke

Don't panic over lack of transfers at this early stage of the summer? Fine, I won't.

But if Utd sell Mata this summer it will be a fúcking disgrace and cast a serious 'W.T.F.??' light on the people running our club.

I sincerely, desperately hope that this is just another bullshít rumour.

Follow

I'll be enemy one but mata or rooney are gonna have to go, if we buy into VG vision. Nani too.valencia. Carrick, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What if Van Gaal doesn't see a place for him in the formation he wants to use?

Still think it's crapola anyway.

I'll be enemy one but mata or rooney are gonna have to go, if we buy into VG vision. Nani too.valencia. Carrick, too.

Who replaces all them?

• Advertisement

Dont care we shouldnt be selling a top level player like Mata we should adding them ffs.

The first team is lacking in world class players we the **** would we sell one? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Who replaces all them?

No one, we'll be the richest club in the championship :pac:

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Who replaces all them?

Think about it

Nope

Nani can be very much a LVG player, and Carrick will be a good squad player, Tony the tiger I would like to see the back of, doubt Rooney will be off this summer and I have no doubt Mata will be a Man United player for a long time yet

Think about it

You obviously have so enlighten me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement